Octavia cam belt

Just brought(monday) an octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 from a skoda dealer with a FSH and i looked through the service history and it dosent appear to have had the cam belt changed its done 47000 miles but its over 5 years old.I have read through the posts and i think it should have been changed before i owned it.(4 years or 60000 ?)It has a years skoda dealer warranty should i talk to the dealer that sold me the car.I think its wrong if i have to pay for a cam belt change on a car that i have owned for less than a week.

4 years or 60K miles... so yes, it should have had it done. But why is that the garages problem? Isn't it simply the case that the previous owner didn't follow the new service schedule? I know this is not what you want to hear, but why didn't you question this when you bought it?

How can it have a full service history if it hasent been serviced as per skodas guidelines.If i had known it needed a cam belt i would have had them do it before i brought it.They spent

I've just part-exchanged my Octavia 4x4 Turbo Nature Green with 47,000 miles on the clock and I didn't have the cambelt changed.

The car was registered in March 2002 and the last service before I sold it was in June 2006. I asked the dealer about the cambelt before the last service and they said that it's not due yet and that I needn't worry.

I wonder if they will change it before they sell it?

Unfortunately it happens to the best of us..... I got 'stung' the same recently on an Audi A4 TDi that had full Audi service history. The car had 55k miles and the service book stated that the cambelt was due at 80k miles. We purchased the car but then out of curiosity did some more digging and realised that the cambelt should be changed at 60k miles!!

It was only then that I called the dealer that had performed the last service and they actually told me that they had advised that the cambelt should be changed as part of the last service but the previous owner (knowing the car was going) declined to get the work done.

Hey ho.... only

Just brought(monday) an octavia 1.8t 4x4 2002 from a skoda dealer with a FSH and i looked through the service history and it dosent appear to have had the cam belt changed its done 47000 miles but its over 5 years old.I have read through the posts and i think it should have been changed before i owned it.(4 years or 60000 ?)It has a years skoda dealer warranty should i talk to the dealer that sold me the car.I think its wrong if i have to pay for a cam belt change on a car that i have owned for less than a week.

As you've only had the car a week and I'm assuming it's an approved used since it's from a Skoda dealer then why not return it under the no quibble 30 day return policy. I'm sure that will be enough to persuade them to do the cambelt and waterpump or at least come up with something a little more attractive than covering the full cost yourself.

It is penpushers car and it did come from cardiff.They havent been entirely truthfull about the car or what they said they had done and the previous owner had paid for.I am even less happy now than before.Cant wait to speak to them now.They told me that they had put the brakes and exhaust on after it was traded in at a cost of

Had a private chat to penpusher about the car and they have put the front brakes on and the exhaust,so not so bad as i thought.Its nice to hear the previos owners opinion on the car and what he had done.Still not happy about the cam belt which is definetely not done.Will speak to them on monday and see what they say.Thanks everyone.

I've seen one set of service recommendations which say that the width of the cambelt should be checked at services from 48_000, but no actual need to change it unless it's under a specified width. FWIW the belt on mine was changed somewhere in the mid to high 50 thousands.

They phoned back and offered to replace the cam belt FOC and sort out the water leak.They have offered me some money to cover petrol aswell.Cant complain about that.White dove at cardiff seem ok.Should i have anything else done while its in bits eg water pump

This is my first skoda and i only found your site on thursday last week.I dont know very much about the 1.8t engine so its only what i have read on here.So definately the water pump.(how much for a genuine and fitting)

As said you should do the waterpump at the same time and fitting should be nowt when done with the belt. Make sure they replace the belt tensioners too.

• 2 weeks later...
:D Cam belt and water pump was done yesterday by them.Petrol refund given aswell.Cant fault them for doing this for me.Thanks White dove.Didnt allow for the accident on the M5 took 3 hours to get there and 5 to get home.Its time to start on engine mods now and ice installation.What engine mods do you reccomend to do first?

What engine mods to do first?

A brake upgrade!

Then CAI, xorst and proper remap in that order if you want "sensible" mods. There's a major shopping list if you want silly power, but you'd be looking at FMIC, hybrid turbo and uprated injector for sure.

Mine is in for a new cambelt, tensioners, and waterpump today, told them I want a waterpump with a METAL impeller, they`ve just phoned to say they have taken out the old plastic one, and it fell apart, with half of it left in the block!:eek: (like so many on here) and are waiting for the metal replacement arriving after dinner:thumbup: