ice replacement octy mk1

hi are there any head units out there that are compatable with the 6 disc cd unit in the octavia as the original isn't great,also will the speakers need upgrading.I dont want to blow the windows out i just want a nice crystal clear sound,gettin to old for the old boom boom boxes.:thumbup: The general opinion is change the speakers for a decent quality sound are there any direct replacements out there that you guys would recommend.thanks

Nope, nothing compatible apart from the oem hu. If you still need a CD changer, then you will have to buy and install a new one at the same time as replacing the hu.

You may want to just change the speakers first to hear how it sounds, as the oem speakers are very bad.

mmm, I have some alpines in the front - not sure if the previous owner upgraded the rear speakers or not.... maybe I'll pop the internal trim off and have a look....

I've switched to Infinity 652i in the front and an MP3 HU which means I didn't need to mess about with the changer.

Rear speakers actually don't seem to soundthat bad to me but I've picked up some Infinity 552i's to replace them, just need to do a bit of dremmeling to get them in!

These pretty much swap in apparently, cheap:

eBay.co.uk: INFINITY 16cm Reference 6010cs 2way component speaker (item 330141226843 end time 08-Jul-07 21:53:21 BST)

I'm also in the process of upgrading my system.

Was looking at the JBL 75.4 amp to power a sub and then fronts too.

A lot of wiring involved though, not sure how easy Octavias are to work on.

Can anyone confirm if these speakers fit the mk1 octy front doors

If they do there just what i am after who hoo !!!!!!!!!!

The original set up sounded flippin' awful. I put my head unit in with my anp and 10'' sub. Didn't touch the speakers TBH it sounds fine now and can't see the need to replace the car speakers. they are ok for treble and mid range just get the bass I need from the sub

The original set up sounded flippin' awful. I put my head unit in with my anp and 10'' sub. Didn't touch the speakers TBH it sounds fine now and can't see the need to replace the car speakers. they are ok for treble and mid range just get the bass I need from the sub

I have done the same and agree but if i can get better for 40 notes then i aint complaining i'll buy them

hi are there any head units out there that are compatable with the 6 disc cd unit in the octavia as the original isn't great,also will the speakers need upgrading.I dont want to blow the windows out i just want a nice crystal clear sound,gettin to old for the old boom boom boxes.:thumbup: The general opinion is change the speakers for a decent quality sound are there any direct replacements out there that you guys would recommend.thanks

one option is to get a head-unit with an iPod adapter, and forget about the CD changer. I have a Becker headunit with bluetooth phone and an iPod lead running in to the glove box. The Sound Gallery of High Wycombe did a beautiful installation. With the Becker you get a near factory fit look if you are interested in that sort of thing, the display is a close match to the climate control. Phone book functionality is pretty poor, otherwise it's great, with a discrete microphone in the light cluster above the rear view mirror, and no wires anywhere.

I had my front speakers replaced with JL components, not that expensive, had the door trims heavily stiffened by the Sound Gallery, greatly improves bass and avoids upgraded speakers rattling the doors. No doubt there's loads more you can find in the ICE forum

Adam

Thanks do you know the model and size of the front speakers also if you could check the rear to see if those are standard that would be great.thanks again for your help.:thumbup:

Unfortunately I cant remember the model number (its a few years ago ;) ) But I think they were 16cm for the front and 13cm for the rears, I simply measured the oem ones and got the same size, At least changing the front ones is easy as you only need to remove the speaker grille covers to get access to them.

I fitted some Infinity 605CS speakers in the front doors, with no problems (I think they are 16.5cm). I had bought some Alpine SXS1757s, which according to their website were a 'custom fit' for the Octavia, but which were too deep to fit the recess. I had to cut into the trim in the footwell to fit the tweeters, but this was easy too. I also fitted some 4652CF rear speakers at the same time...it all sounds so much better than the standard speakers. While doing this I found that the tweeters in the back next to the window switch didn't even work!! Still have my trusty Alpine head unit and CD changer too, even though the display is getting a bit past it, as it sounds great!:)

I had my front speakers replaced with JL components, not that expensive, had the door trims heavily stiffened by the Sound Gallery, greatly improves bass and avoids upgraded speakers rattling the doors. No doubt there's loads more you can find in the ICE forum

Adam

Adam,

How much did the company charge for the installation and did you get the head unit from them? I've upgraded the speakers, and looked at a Becker head unit, but couldn't afford one. :(

Rob did you have to do any cutting of the door behind the door card if you get my drift

The 652i will go in as a direct replacement but you need to make some adjustments to the foam behind them as the magnets won't fit in.

I took the foam out of mine altogether but I know some people have problems with water ingress after this is done.