Diesel chipping...

Lucky

A friend of mine who didn't want to be named is buying a 1.9TDi soon and he was wondering if there is any chip out there to release more power than the rediculous 110bhp that it shoves out? He should have kept the vRS but he was seduced by low running costs and the 'pipe and slippers' interior.

He still would like more grunt though...

Hello again, (Mr) Lucky. Go to our web links and trawl through Tuning. There are plenty of tuners who can give (your) a TDi loads more torque. And stand by for advice from FabiaTDi who has more torque at his beck and call than a diesel locomotive needs.

It may only have 110bhp (probably more so) but its similar torque to a standard vRS...

I recently went to Jabbasport to have my Fabia TDI 100 remapped. This was done properly on the rolling road and not an off the shelf chip. Power is now 145bhp/220lb/ft

I think they are only doing PD TDIs at the moment, but they might be able to do something for your mates 110.

To reiterate, talk to Jabba, should be able to achieve 150 ish, If they dont suit or are two far to travel then their is a monthly mag called diesel car & in the back of there you will find many ads for people who can remap/chip. Like most things speak to people who have experience of the company as recomendation is the only safe way to go.

Personally I would go the Jabba route & sod the distance

The PD engine is basically the same as the previous generation TDi engine.

PD stands for Pumpe Duse (German for unit injector) Imagine it as each cylinder having its own individual injection pump if you like.

This system allows for much higher injection pressures to be achieved, which gives better efficiency with higher torque and power.

E.g. The older 110tdi develops less torque than the 100PD.

I wouldnt have thought you would see 150hp from a chipped 110 TDI, more likely about 130/135 with a 40 ish ft/lb torque increase. That will still be a big smiles thing, as in gear acceleration is well rapid ( just dont show off with a vRS behind you,they get the hump)

As has been stated, Diesel Car magazine has lots of chipping traders in it, and often you can pick up a used chip in the private ads.They often have reviews on pre and post chipped cars too.

Cheers

A couple of people have mentioned the various tuning services on offer for the TDi in the back of Diesel Car...

All I can say is be very careful here, as it seems that everyone has jumped on the diesel tuning bandwagon. (especially where tuning boxes are concerned)

I wouldnt always trust the "Superchipped sponsored" reviews of chipped cars in Diesel Car.

I cant recommend Superchips either as they only managed to squeeze about an extra 5bhp from mine!:eek:

• 1 month later...

Hello Lucky,

I wonder if your "Friend" has had his 1.9TDi chipped yet and if so who did it and what resyults were obtained?

I am due to get my L&K Estate 1.9TDi any day now and am still undecided as to which route to go - TuningBox, Superchip etc.

Any feedback would be very useful.

Thanks.

How much does the chipping cost? I run around in a 100BHP TDI now and would be kind of interested in chipping it out to the region of 150BHP, if it was possible. Also, what are side effects apart from quicker acceleration? I was hoping there was a way to stop the top-speed limiter too, as when my car reaches 115mph the engine is revving at only 3500RPM. There's at least another 20mph under the bonnet I reckon if the limiter could be over-ridden. However, I don't wanna do anything that may void my warranty, at least not until it runs out. Then.. what the HELL??

Originally posted by FabiaTDi in this post

I recently went to Jabbasport to have my Fabia TDI 100 remapped. This was done properly on the rolling road and not an off the shelf chip. Power is now 145bhp/220lb/ft

I think they are only doing PD TDIs at the moment, but they might be able to do something for your mates 110.

Does anyone know if Jabbasport have Tampered with a 130 PD, Golf or otherwise and are there any figures anywhere.

Thinking about Buying a Octavia (Hatch :D ) 130 PD when it comes out.

Cheers.

OK. Is there a www for this jabbasports place? Or where in the world are they? I'm gonna have to wait until next year to do it I think. Also, anyone who has had this done, what effect does it have on insurance (i assume that wellying your BHP out to 150 is considered a modification...) I had to shell out another

delcac,

I assume that was a joke, but Jabbasport had recently remapped a golf 130pd and achieved something like 185bhp and 300+lb/ft.

Imagine that in the new Fabia vRS ....

devonutopia,

Yes, it will affect your insurance.

(edited to remove link already given by manny - doh!)

The 130pd engine has alot of potential, we have done new ibiza's that have come out with in the region of 180bhp and 300ftlb.

I did a 130pd audi a4 avant earlier this week, and even with all that extra weight it was a fantastic car to drive.

They pull like trains!

Hi Rob,

due to the limited gains in comparison to turbo applications and the same developement time required it would be alot of money for comparably very little gain. It would be very difficult to sell software at 500quid when you only get 5bhp or so.

Pity really, I still need something for my own 2.0 8v!

Well, selling it on pure bhp gains I admit you'd have your work cut out. ;)

I've seen Superchips advertise a product for the engine in the Audi, and that

is supposedly about 10bhp gain - I could be tempted, except Superchips get

fairly mixed reviews...

I'm stuck in the situation that while I would like improved performance from

the engine (responsiveness, economy, etc), I don't want a huge increase

in bhp as my insurance company will nail me for even more. :rolleyes:

Rob.

Originally posted by FabiaTDi in this post

delcac,

I assume that was a joke, but Jabbasport had recently remapped a golf 130pd and achieved something like 185bhp and 300+lb/ft.

Imagine that in the new Fabia vRS ....

When have you ever known me to joke Mr. FabiaTDi.

If all goes to plan this should be the chain of events but don't tell anyone.

1. Buy new Octavia 130 PD (hatch), for me.

2. Sell Transit van, for someone else.

3. Buy new Fabia RS, for wife.

4. RS goes in for major surgery, for fun.

There that should cover everything.

Cheers for the info m8. ;)

Just looked at jabbasports www. Looks quite good and relatively cheap to have TDI's remapped. It did concern me a little that my Skoda dealer may spot the change at the service intervals, of which I have a lot due to quite high mileage. If Skoda spot the change, can they refuse to service the car, or even change the ECU back without telling you? If I was going to do this, I'd need assuring that my dealer isn't going to screw with me on anything...Its ironic that I was actually quite near Peterborough the other week when I went to pick up my alloys - went to Wisbech to look at a swingshovel (long story). Maybe next time I'm back "home" which is near Leicester, I'll pop along the A47 to the Jabba place...

Originally posted by delcac in this post

When have you ever known me to joke Mr. FabiaTDi.

If all goes to plan this should be the chain of events but don't tell anyone.

1. Buy new Octavia 130 PD (hatch), for me.

2. Sell Transit van, for someone else.

3. Buy new Fabia RS, for wife.

4. RS goes in for major surgery, for fun.

There that should cover everything.

Cheers for the info m8. ;)

Well I coudn't imagine you trading in the vRS for one thats all! :D

Dont worry, I won't say a word!

Quite tempted by the new Fabia vRS myself, but we'll have to wait and see....

:cheers: