Are Shell fuel stations franchised?

fluffmeister

Or indeed other stations, the reason I ask is the my local Shell station no longer has the "native" staff and is now only populated by eastern european types (no offence to Eastie brisky members)

I bumped into one of the old staff from the station and she said that the station was under new ownership by a family of Albanians (but she was not sure) and they where all sacked / made redundant and the family took over.

Just after the "family" took over, prices increased and V-Power went to 103ppl but the tesco garage down the road is selling 99 SUL at 97.9ppl. Another Shell garage on the A57 heading out towards Widnes was 101ppl on the same day I called, looked, and left my local without buying fuel.

It's made me really suspicious, especially with the recent bouts of card fraud at Shell stations, and now I pretty much only use Tesco's 99 (and get club card points)

So without being branded racist, and burnt at the stake, what gives? hows it work? am I being paranoid, can the garage "owner" set their own prices?

Fluff'

I work at a petrol station (Along the A4 into Marl) The owner who is asian does have 5 garages at which he controls all the prices.

The profit that he makes isnt that greater deal (its more goods within the shop) Its all to do with your rivals and the prices. I mean this garage is costly atm due to another rival garage in marlborough in trouble again for - breaking the seals on the pumps and water in the fuel (Leaves his garage being the only one in marlborough).

If customers dont use the garage I work at they end up either having to go to a supermarket or fuel station in Devizes or Swindon

Hope this helps.

Rob

If you go into the station and it says operated by City Petroleum, then it's Shell owned, others just have long term contracts to sell the Shell Brand.

As with other things it may be worth an extra 2p a litre for better fuel economy, I used to get 4mpg less using Tesco fuel before. ( Diesel)

Round here the Shell garages are the same price as the supermarkets. Only ever pay in cash though, there was a well-publicised story a while ago about Sri Lankan workers cloning cards, and using the details to donate money to the Tamil Tigers!

Looking through my fuel receipts many shells seem to be run under a different name and many seem to be full of family members making me sure that they are franchised. One local shell the kid behind the counter is barely 18 and anyone who doesnt have a points card seem to unknownly donate their points to his card :o

Round here the Shell garages are the same price as the supermarkets. Only ever pay in cash though, there was a well-publicised story a while ago about Sri Lankan workers cloning cards, and using the details to donate money to the Tamil Tigers!

A couple of Total stations were involved in this cloning scam a few months back. Shell isn't a common brand around here, it's either Total, BP, or supermarkets. You need to do a bit of travelling to find a Shell.

I only ever use Shell and it's the best priced fuel around.

In the only Shell station in cardiff V-power is £1.06 a litre:eek: making it the worst priced fuel around here.

Tesco sul 99.9 per litre

There's a Shell station less than 2 minutes from my office, so I'll always fill up there unless I'm away and/or desparate.

They're usually the same prices as all the other Shells in Edinburgh, I haven't yet dared fill up the vRS with Supermarket stuff, but go wherever's cheapest for our old(ish) focus.

In the only Shell station in cardiff V-power is £1.06 a litre:eek: making it the worst priced fuel around here.

Tesco sul 99.9 per litre

Tesco sul is only 97.9p in the one over by the gypsy camp mate, filled up there tuesday night after we met up.

Ocean way is "interesting" when it get's dark ;)

Tesco sul is only 97.9p in the one over by the gypsy camp mate, filled up there tuesday night after we met up.

Ocean way is "interesting" when it get's dark ;)

It's gone down (like the ocean way babes:eek:) then since i last called in there

Rumour has it the gypsies were paid off by tesco whilst it was being built to not rinse the site of equipment and to stop them pinching in there when it opened i don't know how true that is mind you

And yes ocean way does come "alive" after dark have you seen the state of them jesus they would have pay me and i ain't exactly brad pitt :D

The Texaco garage near me seems to change its prices as soon as any thing is mentioned on the news about a middle eastern crisis!!!! The price shoots up quicker than an F15 on full after burner!!!! Then a few weeks later it drops again :confused:

The rest of the time its quite reasonable and you get a 2p off voucher every time you fill up :P Unleaded is currenlty 95.9.......................................:rolleyes: