Well I picked up my Felicia today and took on the M6 for the first time and noticed it had a wobble when accelerating.

It doesn't knock or anything while turning, so does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks

Craig

P.s Its done 64k btw and is a 1997 Model 1.3MPi.

ive never experience torque steer with felly 1.3!!!!!

I would check out tracking first of all, then wheel balancing then the more complicated stuff like lower ball joints, dodgy shocks ( a bad shock can couse wobble during acceleration (lift-off effect) if the stanchion is slightly bent).

Honestly i would bet its your lower ball joints. mine was a little "wandery" driving it around for the first couple of weeks i had it until i replaced them.

Cheapest fix would be to take the wheels off, clean the seat area where the wheels attach and clean the area on the wheels in the same place. Re-attach and see what happens. Also - try swapping the rears to the fronts and vice versa and see if you have an improvement before you go forking out any cash.

ive never experience torque steer with felly 1.3!!!!!

I would check out tracking first of all, then wheel balancing then the more complicated stuff like lower ball joints, dodgy shocks ( a bad shock can couse wobble during acceleration (lift-off effect) if the stanchion is slightly bent).

Honestly i would bet its your lower ball joints. mine was a little "wandery" driving it around for the first couple of weeks i had it until i replaced them.

What do you mean lift off effect? As I've noticed that if I lift off the accelerator a little the wobble goes?

Hmmmm,

Thanks for a help so far guys, apart from the wobble, am really loving the Felicia, feels very luxurious in the back when being chauffered about when I've had a few at the pub!

As for the wobble, whats the easiest way of pin pointing the problem? Getting the car on the ramps and having a prod?

By the way I've noticed theres no balancing weights on the rear offside wheel and am wondering if an unbalanced wheel could cause a whole car wobble?

Thanks

Craig:)

Hmmmm,

Thanks for a help so far guys, apart from the wobble, am really loving the Felicia, feels very luxurious in the back when being chauffered about when I've had a few at the pub!

As for the wobble, whats the easiest way of pin pointing the problem? Getting the car on the ramps and having a prod?

By the way I've noticed theres no balancing weights on the rear offside wheel and am wondering if an unbalanced wheel could cause a whole car wobble?

Thanks

Craig:)

unbalanced rear wheels would wobble constantly under any driving conditions, so i doubt its that.

To test for worn ball joints, leave the car on the road (dont jack it up) and gove the front wheels as hard a shake up/down and left/right as you can. any unusual movements or crunchy sounds and movements indicates either ball joints or bearings are gone!

If they are in perfect condition and you shake the wheel the whole side of the car should move as if the wheel is solidly attached and you shouldent feel any play.

hope this helps,

gavin!

I was hoping you wouldn't say CV Joint, as I notice on Felicia's there pretty expensive.

However it doesn't feel like a CV jointy vibration as my last cars CV joint needed replacing and that vibrated through the steering at speed and through the whole car above 50mph.

This wobble/vibrations is when your acelerating, and when your at a steady speed it smooths out.

I have come across this problem many times, it is outer cv joint lack of cv grease. boots are prone for splitting on felicia's so check thats ok. if so...

remove large clip bend boot back and repack with new cv grease. refit boot with new clip, i'd do both sides.

(remember CV grease is horrid stuff, stains everything so where gloves)

stu

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help so far, just a quick update, I decided to take the car to a local large open space and drove the car round in circles on full lock and there was no noise at all.

The vibration is still there at speed though, it happens about 55-65, and then begins to smooth out a little, or if I lift off it instantly goes.

If it was the CV Joint wouldn't be accompanied by a clicking noise when turning?

Thanks

Craig

Get the suspension checked over like bushes, ball joints etc. etc. It sounds like something might be worn out and has too much play in it. Its difficult to tell exactly what suspension wise it might be without seeing the car in the flesh so to speak. The other problem might be wheel balance but you would notice this at speed as well as under acceleration. Best bet is just to get the running gear checked out for wear / excessive play etc.

Steve

Get the suspension checked over like bushes, ball joints etc. etc. It sounds like something might be worn out and has too much play in it. Its difficult to tell exactly what suspension wise it might be without seeing the car in the flesh so to speak. The other problem might be wheel balance but you would notice this at speed as well as under acceleration. Best bet is just to get the running gear checked out for wear / excessive play etc.

Steve

Its hard to describe really, it does do it at speed too, might get it on my ramps but really wouldn't know what I am looking at!