Amsterdam - do's and dont's?

pixi

We're off to Amsterdam on sunday for a few nights and I've never been there before. Does anyone have any tips of things not to miss or to give a wide berth?

We're driving, but parking outside of the city and using the trams to get to our hotel which is a great base for exploring everything on foot. I'm so excited but we've only just booked it so I'm a bit hyper sorting everything out. I've got my passport and a rough guide book so it's a good start :thumbup:

Don't take photo's of the prozzies, If anyone (junkie's etc )start's trying to hustle you into buying something in the street just keep on walking. Use your common sense and be aware of dodgy types. Don't let this frighten you though you'll be fine. Most of all enjoy it, it's very enlightening:eek:

P.s. Don't forget the goldmember quotes :rofl:

Watch were you walk - bike lanes everywhere and they always take precedence.

Stay out of the dope shops on your last day - the smell will be picked up by the sniffer dogs - I've seen this happen!

You can take photos in the museums, but to be sure, stand with a group of Japanese tourists, they snap voraciously so you shouldn't be noticed.

Amsterdam is mostly a very easy going place, but get up early if you want to see everything.

Some pics here I took a while ago -

Amsterdam Sunday May 1st 2005 Photo Gallery by oddlegs at pbase.com

If the weather is good, a canal tour is great too, yes it is the tourist thing to do, but it is well worth it if you enjoy seeing all the different architecture etc.

Sex museum is good, but deffo walk through the red light district area, it is a bit of an experience :)

The rest depends a lot on what you're into, certainly the don't take pics in that area is good advise (a lot of people who work there are students, and in general there is a preference for privacy there ;))

I've been looking for details on the sex museum but as yet I have not found any. I have read about not taking any pics in the red light district and also warnings about pick pockets etc which there are everywhere you go these days.

As for the weed, hmm, I know it's stronger in Amsterdam and we have already had this conversation yesterday. I havn't touched the stuff in years and even back then it was probably no more than a dozen times through a natural experimentation stage. If someone was to offer me a cake I'm not sure whether I could refuse :D

The journey is no big deal as Mr P has driven to Holland many times, just not into Amsterdam. I might see if I can get a TT download anyway.

I'm even more excited now, but have a list of things to do that is getting longer by the minute :rolleyes:

Ann Frank's house is a must really.

Steer clear of the diamond shops, unless you want to be pestered by the other half into buying one.

I second the above comments. When in the RLD, ignore anyone asking for money and keep on walking without any acknowledgement of them. There are plenty of plain clothed police and private security around, so they are unlikely to do anything - just stick to main paths/roads. You can enter next to the Grasshopper.

We want and stayed at the Hotel Okura and found the city expensive, yet very enjoyable.

I've been looking for details on the sex museum but as yet I have not found any. I have read about not taking any pics in the red light district and also warnings about pick pockets etc which there are everywhere you go these days.

Sex museum is on the main straight nearer to central station. Cost is only a few euro's, and is more interesting than seedy.

Just heed the warning about entering beyond this point... might be shocked... yada yada. Mrs *thought* she was quite liberal, but was actually disturbed by the stuff in that area of the museum.

She also didn't believe me that there were rooms on the bottom floor where people who got turned on could have a little nooky in the museum - until we did our second visit. The yorkshireman I heard obv seemed to enjoy his BJ!!! MRS was wetting herself with laughter. :rofl:

Mr P isn't really into diamonds :confused:

LOL, in that case make sure he takes you! :thumbup:

Ann Frank's house is a must really.

Steer clear of the diamond shops, unless you want to be pestered by the other half into buying one.

I second the above comments. When in the RLD, ignore anyone asking for money and keep on walking without any acknowledgement of them. There are plenty of plain clothed police and private security around, so they are unlikely to do anything - just stick to main paths/roads. You can enter next to the Grasshopper.

If you want to see the RLD just out of interest, go during the day, last time I went to Amsterdam, had quick travel through it and got a Brit guy asking for money - just ignore them even if they dont like it. Ann Frank's house - def a must visit.

We're driving, but parking outside of the city and using the trams to get to our hotel which is a great base for exploring everything on foot.

Which hotel did you pick? It is a pity I didn't cross this thread before you left but the internet connection on my computer buggered up. (That was the last straw: I am expecting its replacement this week...)

Anyway, when going to Amsterdam I have always stayed with the same chain (if you can call it a chain: there are only two hostels in the "chain"). The slight downside to the hostels in the "chain" is that there is a religious emphasis to both of them but the management don't overdo it.

But aside from that, it is very cheap and I have stayed in the "Shelter City" hostel 4 times. Last time I stayed there I got 5 nights, Thursday to Monday nights inclusive, for around 96.00 Euro (about £65):

Shelter hostels Amsterdam - Travelers Hostel

The Shelter City hostel borders the red light district and is also within reach (about 10 seconds walk) of the numerous bars on Nieuwmarkt (Newmarket) square one of which is an Irish theme pub and this screens major sports events.

The hostel is also within 10 minutes walk of the Central (rail) Station so if you intend to travel around Holland a bit whilst there - and doing so by train is very good value - then that hostel is also very useful as well.

But if you don't want a curfew then there is always the Shelter hostel in the Jordaan.

Dave

Watch out for bikes - a lot have no brakes and come at you from all sides :eek::eek:

Trams - ditto :D:D

Eating - try the Grasshopper. Excellent mixed grill :thumbup::thumbup: Or in the morning have a full Irish breakfast in one of the Irish pubs. Washed down with a couple of pints of Guinness. Recommended :):)

Drugs. You will be offered everything from dope to smack. Avoid. You can have a great time in Amsterdam without getting out of your face :P:P

Beer. The above mentioned Guinness, or Heinekin :D:D

Red light district. An eye opener :eek::eek:

If the weather is good, an anal tour is great too,

I dunno you cloggies :rolleyes:

Sex museum is good, but deffo walk through the red light district area, it is a bit of an experience :)

The rest depends a lot on what you're into, certainly the don't take pics in that area is good advise (a lot of people who work there are students, and in general there is a preference for privacy there ;))

I'd advise not feeding the locals :)

Have a good time pixi.

Sex museum is a must and easy to find...

Stand in front of the central station with the station to your back, the museum is along the row of restaurants running away from you down the road to your right hand side. [the red light district is over behind the buildings along the river to your left hand side].

... I was amazed at what those dutch folk can do with knitting needles, a donkey and an alsation in the 'hardcore picture room'.