Fabia vRS (petrol)?

Neil RS

Anyone know if there any plans to put the 1.8T in the Fabia? I see there is a new Ibiza with the 150bhp level of tune. I'm looking for a new city run around and really want a fabia with a turbo but not the diesel bit. :)

Cant see it myself and persnally why bother.

The Ibiza FR is **** to be fair, a mate who still works at the SEAT dealer I used to work at brought one around, we went out for a drive and I was completely uninspired,a std 130 PD would kill it.

I was a HUGE diesel hater before taking a Furby for a test drive and reading up on what can be done with the PD130 engine. Now I love it. When up and running it doesn't really sound like a diesel and actually sounds quite nice.

When you can run a car at around 200 brake and still return 50mpg, why worry about what it runs on! :D

Neil, mate, honestly!

Have you actually been and test driven the Furby vRS? It's unbelievable! I've had some fast cars over the years, and it makes them look pedestrian. I have to say in comparison with your 1.0L Micra, you'll think the Furby has been fitted with warp drive, it's so ferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkin fast. Plus, diesels are the way to go - lower car tax, lower emissions, lower insurance, higher fuel economy, being able to look smug when everyone else is queueing for unleaded in the petrol station.

Chaos

i disagree with Diesel being the way forward,as good as they are and the vRS Furby is a fantastic car,i would have one.

i'm going down the LPG route with my Octy vRS,as LPG costs 40p a litre,and it will be cheaper than Petrol and Diesel for a lot lot longer.

especially as diesel is going to get more and more expensive as it becomes more popular.

i've done the course so can fit LPG kits to cars now so will be converting my own Octy vRS.

will keep you all informed,was hoping to have it converted before the National day but not enough time due to work.

i disagree with Diesel being the way forward' date='as good as they are and the vRS Furby is a fantastic car,i would have one.

i'm going down the LPG route with my Octy vRS,as LPG costs 40p a litre,and it will be cheaper than Petrol and Diesel for a lot lot longer.

especially as diesel is going to get more and more expensive as it becomes more popular.

i've done the course so can fit LPG kits to cars now so will be converting my own Octy vRS.

will keep you all informed,was hoping to have it converted before the National day but not enough time due to work.[/quote']

Don't be 110% sure of LPG being cheaper. Another motoring forum I contribute to was talking fuel prices and the fact that the tax break on this fuel is running out soon. Anybody want to gamble on it being renewed after LPG has been slated environmentally?

I'm sticking with Diesel until the oil runs dry.

yes your correct the tax break runs out soon,but in respect of costs it took diesel as a fuel 30 years to become more expensive than Petrol,so even if it does get slated its not alot worse for enviroment than diesel,less particles released etc etc

its still gonna be cheaper for longer so hence saving us drivers money and giving less to the govement to waste on!!!!!

With that 40p /litre what sort of economy do you get? I think I remember reading that after a LPG conversion the mpg figure is lower than petrol - not nearly half but lower all the same. Add that to the fact that LPG is going to increase in price faster than petrol or diesel then the deal's not as good as the headline figure would have you believe.

Neil' date=' mate, honestly!

Have you actually been and test driven the Furby vRS? It's unbelievable! I've had some fast cars over the years, and it makes them look pedestrian. I have to say in comparison with your [b']1.0L Micra[/b], you'll think the Furby has been fitted with warp drive, it's so ferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkin fast. Plus, diesels are the way to go - lower car tax, lower emissions, lower insurance, higher fuel economy, being able to look smug when everyone else is queueing for unleaded in the petrol station.

Chaos

No haven't tested one yet, but aim to do so soon. I don't question the speed of the car, I know they are quick and fuel consumption is far better than petrol. All diesels I've been in before have made me feel sick, the low frequency vibration, the noise and the stink they make. However the engine can't be that bad, who in their right mind would spoil such a great looking car with a crap engine.

I'll reserve futher comment to after the test.

I think you can run the TDi on biodiesel as well (made from vegetable oil and such). It is likely this sustainable fuel will get more attention in the years to come....

All diesels I've been in before have made me feel sick, the low frequency vibration, the noise and the stink they make

Diesel stink out of an older or knackered engine is horrible, not too clever out of a modern engine (don't open the boot with the engine running) but no worse than a petrol with unwarmed up cat - and remember no benzine in diesel (a declared carcinogen) unlike unleaded (so you're a bit safer fillling up at the pumps).

Noise in the vRS is louder and of a different type to a petrol, but not a problem in the cabin at all, and just 'different' to those outside (couldn't care less about them of course!) There is no vibration problem (I can't stand that either, once was sick after following a noisy dumper truck up a hill due to low freq.)

It's a great drive, enjoy the test!

this is the usual response and i think that a lot of people are frightened of change.

and yes the tax will increase there's no doubt but even if you were to save money for the next 10 years thats more of our hard earned cash in our pockets.

ok you might loose a bit of boot space, and everyone moans about the increasing cost of petrol and paying all that tax into the goverment coffers.

this is a way of saving money,reducing the cost of using the car which we enjoy so much otherwise a site like this wouldn't be here.

---------------------------------------------

Also with LPG, you have a lot of limitations.

Can't park in underground car parks

Can't take the eurotunnel

---------------------------------------------

so how often do most people use the eurotunnel,not many times i guess.

and parking in underground carparks,who's going to know,how many carpark attendants check your or even know the supposed rules.

so if you all want to carry on paying through the nose for your fuel then thats fine but please open your minds a little and try and see the benefits of LPG.

In a couple of years, with the likely scenario of Mrs Dutch4x4 taking over the company 4x4, I would be interested in a small and nimble 1.8T Fab vRS too, not just because of the wider powerband of a petrol engine but also because of the fact that the diesel vRS is Holland's first overpriced Skoda!

It's over 2k euros up on the Ibiza PD130 Sport, while the Octavia PD130 Elegance is only 3k more expensive.

More tellingly, the 180hp Leon 1.8T Topsport-to-become-FR is just 500 euros more expensive than the Fabia vRS, while the new petrol Ibiza 1.8T FR 5-door costs 3k less!

I know, you can't compare Seat build quality to Skoda's, and the Ibiza FR looks rather sissy, but then a 1.8T Fabia vRS would (or should) be probably similarly priced to the Ibi FR, making it much more attractive to me as a company car compared to the current Fab vRS - less value to add to my income, lots more money in the bank for performance upgrades that would see it leave the diesel Fab standing. (And the company is paying the petrol bills ;) )

It would also be quicker than the Cooper S or 206 RC and still be cheaper and more economical. Civic Type-R would be the only serious rival in my book...

So for me a petrol vRS would make a lot of sense. :D

I have been running a Skoda Fabia 16V since September 2000 on LPG.

It was converted from new by a contractor which my Skoda supplier engaged.

I have recorded 56000 since new and have had a few problems but nothing unsurmountable. Irritatingly the main issue seems to be quality of the ancillary wiring for the petrol bypass by the contractor which was sorted out by my Skoda dealer. This caused intermittent problems leaving me unable to run the car on Petrol!

The best thing is a ninety mile commute which used to cost approx

i disagree with Diesel being the way forward' date='as good as they are and the vRS Furby is a fantastic car,i would have one.

will keep you all informed,was hoping to have it converted before the National day but not enough time due to work.[/quote']

I am interested in this, can you keep me and everyone else interested up to date with your conversion, thanks

Another advantage is the high octane figure of LPG, which would make it extremely suitable for chipped engines...

There's a Seat Leon 1.8T 180 hp LPI conversion available in Holland, and it's received a fair amount of good publicity, not least because it beat a Leon PD150 in a straight fight - not just on top speed due to the excess hp, but on torque as well.