When did the Aux socket and MP3 stream come in?

Since I laid out the "evidence", the dealer has spoken to a different tech contact at SUK who claims that the Stream MP3 was not available at July 2006 (when my car was registered), and also offered this helpful suggestion:

"Aaah, not a problem, just swap pins 1 and 3 on the connector"

I just pointed out that this would indeed solve the CD changer problem, but would make toss-all difference to the AUX input, which the radio does not support.

What is the matter with these people??? I'm not blaming the dealer, because they are trying to help, but SUK are insisting that they try the pin-swapping solution first, before they'll authorise the issue of a new HU. I have refused to let them pull apart my car just to "go through the motions" and prove a point.... :mad: :mad:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think so, wouldn't you? They took a photocopy of that sticker when I first went in with this problem.

But as we found before, neither of the 8yh/8yl (or whatever) codes explicitly state MP3 / Aux compatibility (at least not on that online decoder functionality). I know we've more or less proved it through other people coming forward, but it seems that unless SUK agree, the dealer is (apparently) helpless.

I feel a very strongly worded letter coming on...

There will be documentation at Skoda from the build which would tell them the serial number and type of HU fitted. Every car has a folder and everyone who adds parts to it etc signs it off. They are turned into microfilm and kept for 15 years AFAIK

There will be documentation at Skoda from the build which would tell them the serial number...

Yes, that might be the key thing here. When I had the service manager out looking at the car the other day, he made a note of the serial number from the side of the HU.

I'll push to have him check that against the original build docs, if possible. What I'd really like to see, of course, is him do the lookup the other way, and find my HU linked to another car! :rolleyes:

Since I laid out the "evidence", the dealer has spoken to a different tech contact at SUK who claims that the Stream MP3 was not available at July 2006 (when my car was registered), and also offered this helpful suggestion:

I got my car in August 06, was built in late June and that had the Stream MP3 and the aux socket so, they are wrong.

I got my car in August 06, was built in late June and that had the Stream MP3 and the aux socket so, they are wrong.

I was full sure they started coming out with it about 3 months after I got mine which was March.

I think that could be the whole root of the problem - since my car was registered in late July 06, it was probably built in June.

Knowing my luck, it was probably built literally over the 2 days either side of the official changeover to the MP3 stream! - it seems to be a grey area. I wish I could find out that exact date :)

I wonder if they really would test the aux socket and cd changer in the factory though? - could it be that it was actually built with the wrong radio? I dont suppose either of these items would log any fault codes when connected to the wrong radio, so perhaps it would go unnoticed.

thanks, but the dealer has already looked up the build date for me (although i can't remember off the top of my head what it was).

Now i know the build date, what i really need to know is the official date they started building using the MP3 Stream, to compare.

I have a 1 meter cable that is coiled up and sits nicely in the box along with my Himd player. It's great quality too:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=3.5mm%20Jack%20Cables/op=eq/sf=prod_group/se=3.5mm%20to%203.5mm/op=eq.html?id=JUwwYoeZ

Many thanks, even a metre seems like over kill lol

Yes, it is but I do use it in the house too. It's a great quality cable though and very robust connections. I had been to a few places and found some of the connections so flimsy, and then tvcables were reccommended to me.

Car is in the garage right now - in theory, it will come back this evening with a shiny new stereo in it, but i'm not getting my hopes up just yet :S

SUK still haven't approved the new HU, so the dealer is coughing up for it, and are going to attempt to fight their case for a "refund" later.

I'm impressed with the service I've had from the dealer over this fiasco so far, but I dont know how they're supposed to provide good service when they are not supported by SUK - it's disappointing.

At last - it's sorted!! The MP3 CDs are back in the car. :smrbow:

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped out with this. Without all the info I got from this forum, I dont think I would have ever got a result, so cheers :thumbup:

• 1 year later...