My Straight through diesel exhaust

TrevorB33

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is being proud that your exhaust makes your car sound a little like an Evo is a bit like being proud that the playing card taped to your tricycle frame makes it sound a little like a motorbike? It's OK for a kid to play make-believe, but an adult? Come on...!!! You might as well get one of those Ferrari CDs and put it in your stereo IMHO... :thumbdwn:

it is when you cant afford an evo and always wanted one :P

Edited by TrevorB33

i love it, everybody looks as you go past, they probably think evo, no its a skoda whaaa?? lol, i had just backbox removed first, that was too quiet could hear the turbo whistle, a little better pickup but not much difference performance wise, removing the cat was the best , the noise now is awesome, and pulled alot better after, waiting the mk rolling road now to see what she does, be interesting to know cause i havent spent much at all,

No deffinalty not!, no way not even my wife who is utterly un interested in cars and does not see a point in anything but a to b driving and is always in my ear 24-7 about my car would anybody on this planet or any other at any time ever even remotly consider your car to make an EVO sound or anything even near, I agree with the poster above it sounds like a tracter, infact sling some 20" wheels on it and it will be mistaken for a tracter by everybody apart fom the bored Police man.

It sounds terrible.:eek::confused::rofl::thumbdwn::finger:

However so as not to seem like a fisherman or a hater its each to their own and I am glad your car did/does bring you pleasure and that my friend is all that matters. :thumbup:

bloody hell chill pill comes to mind

Not really. They're anti-social and IMHO childish. And despite what the owners might believe, I've yet to hear one that sounds more like a performance car than a Morris 1000 on the over-run. :doh:

OTOH, you've said you've got a backbox now anyway, so don't take it too personally... :thumbup:

so WHY does a diesel have a much quieter exhaust note than a petrol?

anyone???

Probably because the engine is making so much noise the exhaust is barely audible :D

Are diesel engines cast iron and petrols aluminium? Could the different materials conduct sound differently :confused:

Driving to work last night, above my stereo, I could hear the exhaust of a petrol Corsa 6 cars ahead of me at the lights. Over the next 2 miles & 7 sets of lights on dual carraigeway, he refused to leave the right hand lane & was undertaken by the 5 cars between me & him. I guess the noise of the (dustbin sized) exhaust had obviously deluded him into thinking he had a fast(er) car! Fortunately he turned off, so I didn't have to choose whether to be deafened following him or undertake him, as all the others had done.

I do far too many miles to consider making my car noisier, however, having seen & heard a couple of straight through diesels, they really don't seem loud at all. Personally I quite like the sound & if it's not harming anyone else fair play. However that Corsa last night seemed very anti-social, any fellow shift workers, will know what I mean.

cheers ... Darren

i work shifts too an used to leave anytime from 4o clock in the morn to getting in at 1230 just after midnight, never had any complaints from neighbours, the exhaust is still alot quieter then my old octy vrs, just depends i drive sensibly most of the time though, and have done 20k this last year with the exhaust and im used to it i suppose, i always have the radio on though and the exhaust is a long way back on the octy so i guess not as loud as some cars, never bothers me at all though

I have a custom exhaust on my Fabia VRS - no CAT and a smaller sports backbox it makes a lovely low rumble around town at 1.8k

Then it is deadly silent when cruising 2k-2.5k...

But if I choose to give it some WOT above 3k MY LORD it sounds like Zeus himself hath summoned up the earth beneath.

so WHY does a diesel have a much quieter exhaust note than a petrol?

anyone???

2 main reasons:-

1) Any diesel worth talking about is turbocharged, and the turbo takes a lot of energy out of the exhaust gas.

2) A lot of the noise is caused by the speed of the exhaust gas, which is lower on any diesel, whether turboed or not.

Edited by KenONeill

I have a custom exhaust on my Fabia VRS - no CAT and a smaller sports backbox it makes a lovely low rumble around town at 1.8k

Then it is deadly silent when cruising 2k-2.5k...

But if I choose to give it some WOT above 3k MY LORD it sounds like Zeus himself hath summoned up the earth beneath.

Sir, I doth thank thee most heartily for your stirring use of the English language.

I shall now sate my thirst with some mead and search the oracle of "yondertube" for diesel aural entertainment.

:thumbup: