My Straight through diesel exhaust

TrevorB33

i'f I am not much mistaken it's the Dunelm car park on clifton moor behind tesco's.

Am I right?? What's my prize?

prize has already gone, as someone actually read the title of the vid lol, but you are pretty exact, apparently its a cruze car park for jap club or something my missus was saying lol

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does the exhaust system consist of ie: which bits are straight through and where is a silencer if any situated centre or back

Where did you have this done or if you did it yourself any tips or maybe a short write up, did you see much difference in performance/ throttle response when you just did the de-cat and is it an easy job

Sorry for the list of Q`s but im considering doing something similar myself not sure which part to start with though de-cat or removing a box and im working to a tight budget right now

Car sounds good by the way

standard diesel system on octy consisted off, catalytic convertor in the middle of downpipe off the turbo, no centre box as diesels are quieter then their petrol conterparts, and a normal back box, i have removed the back box and the cat, hence no silencers anywhere, just pipe now lol, price was 50 for back box removal and pipe welding with exhaust tip, and decat was 125, which took a couple of hours as they removed the downpipe and modded it off the car, decat was done by haward and scott a very well known exhaust fabricator in essex, and the back box removal was done a a local exhaust place , hope thats helps, oh and after decat pickup seemed alot better, back box removal, none if very little gain, pickup felt slightly better, but might be the noise lol

i love it, everybody looks as you go past, they probably think evo, no its a skoda whaaa??

Everyone looks?? Don't they also look when some yoof drives past with a stupidly loud stereo, or some oik wheelspins out of a turning........sadly the looks are not usually admiring or in awe.

Was it filmed outside of Ripspeeds or Halfords?

Still, as you said, you like it and that's what matters.

Lance

hope thats helps

Yep sure does thanks Trev as im not that far from Essex so ill look up haward and scott

im more interested in the decat than a straight though i think... not sure yet so ill have to consider carefully before

committing it to the next job on the list methinks :)

Everyone looks?? Don't they also look when some yoof drives past with a stupidly loud stereo, or some oik wheelspins out of a turning........sadly the looks are not usually admiring or in awe.

Was it filmed outside of Ripspeeds or Halfords?

Still, as you said, you like it and that's what matters.

Lance

:rofl:

standard diesel system on octy consisted off, catalytic convertor in the middle of downpipe off the turbo, no centre box as diesels are quieter then their petrol conterparts, and a normal back box, i have removed the back box and the cat, hence no silencers anywhere, just pipe now lol, price was 50 for back box removal and pipe welding with exhaust tip, and decat was 125, which took a couple of hours as they removed the downpipe and modded it off the car, decat was done by haward and scott a very well known exhaust fabricator in essex, and the back box removal was done a a local exhaust place , hope thats helps, oh and after decat pickup seemed alot better, back box removal, none if very little gain, pickup felt slightly better, but might be the noise lol

Straight through exhausts are illegal.

If pulled by the coppers, and they check, you'll get a 7 day wonder and the vehicle order off the road until it's made legal.

If you're really unlucky, and the local police are trying to nick kevs in their XRi's, then they'll impound it as well as slap on a heavy fine.

If you really want a proper bad boi exhuast, get a proper system instead of being short armed and deep pocketed ;)

Straight through exhausts are illegal.

If pulled by the coppers, and they check, you'll get a 7 day wonder and the vehicle order off the road until it's made legal.

If you're really unlucky, and the local police are trying to nick kevs in their XRi's, then they'll impound it as well as slap on a heavy fine.

If you really want a proper bad boi exhuast, get a proper system instead of being short armed and deep pocketed ;)

Ummm, nope. ;) Not on a TDI at least - Mine's got MOTs to prove the exhaust is legal. :cool::thumbup:

Also, on a diesel, the noise is fairly limited on tickover, and even quite quiet when revving in neutral.

It's when they come on boost, under load, that they roar. :) My straight through system is the most efficient system I could get for my tuned up motor and there's no way I'm getting a "system" to put more restriction into my exhaust. Yuck. :D

They do a smoke test, so it's checking for emissions. Not sure on laws on volume, but if they test my car with it standing still in neutral, it will not be that loud, so would get through a VOSA test quite easily. A petrol is as loud in neutral as it is under load (again, not sure why) so would fail. I have an odd image of me being made to put my car under load and a VOSA chap leaning out of a mongrel performance matched care, holding the decibel meter by my exhaust....

I dont believe the MOT tests the exhaust for loudness, only for leaks?

Loudness and emissions.

devonutopia, fill your boots:

EUR-Lex - 31970L0157 - EN

CruiseIRL.com Forums - View Single Post - Illegal Exhaust..Please Read

is an aftermarket exhaust illegal? [Archive] - boards.ie

"

MarkR

01-11-2005, 22:00

I looked it up at the suggestion of the posters there. According to my googling section 102 of the road traffic act is below.

102.—Where a person is guilty of an offence under any section or subsection of a section of this Act and, apart from this section and disregarding any disqualification that may be capable of being imposed, no penalty is provided for the offence, such person shall be liable on summary conviction—

( a ) in the case of a first offence under that section or subsection to a fine not exceeding twenty pounds,

( b ) in the case of a second offence under that section or subsection, or of a third or subsequent such offence other than an offence referred to in the next paragraph to a fine not exceeding fifty pounds, and

( c ) in the case of a third or subsequent offence under that section or subsection which is the third or subsequent such offence in any period of twelve consecutive months to a fine not exceeding fifty pounds or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding three months or to both such fine and such imprisonment.

From Irish Statute Book, Acts of the Oireachtas, Road Traffic Act, 1961

Section 29 of ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963 does however come close.

29. (1) Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.

(2) Sub-article (1) of this article shall not apply to a vehicle taking part in a trial, competition or race carried out on a road closed under section 35 of the Local Government Act, 1955 (No. 9 of 1955), subject to any conditions the local authority concerned may impose in connection with such closing.

So you have to have a silencer. Which all should do anyway. And this seems to be open to interpretation because of it's use of "reasonable" level."

Does the above apply only to Ireland though? I'm too tired to start looking through links - gonna nip to bed now. :D I'm just curious what you need to do to break the rules (i.e reach XX decibels?) and how they check this. Last time I did a decibel check at Castle Combe it barely registered, yet it made some good noise down the pit straight.

[yawn] nite nite.

again as devonnutopia said, they are for ireland im sure the english rules would be different, but agian on cruise and idle it is as loud as a normal diesel, ive had some loud cars in past and never been pulled for my exhausts, then again i dont often drive like a nutter, again my car too would easily pass an mot, as the rules are different to diesels, im sure in 1963 or whenever that act was passed were diesels even around yet, so again could be different

exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.

You could argue that a straight through length of exhaust pipe complies with the term 'other device' provided that it is acoustically 'tuned' to reduce road noise

JR

I believe the current regulations are due to become law across the whole of europe by the end of this year. The new law relates to sound levels, and the level must be no higher than than the oem system, and the emissions from the exhaust must be withing a certain % of the car manufacturers spec, not the pass level of the MOT. Your car may pass an MOT, but will fail the new roadside test.

However, under current law if the exhaust is loud all the police need do is issue a section 59 notice against your car, due to possible nusience caused to other members of the public (noise is a nuisence). If you get a second section 59 within 12 months the car will be confiscated and face the crusher. Section 59 has no apeal procedure, and does not go to court.

I believe the current regulations are due to become law across the whole of europe by the end of this year. The new law relates to sound levels, and the level must be no higher than than the oem system, and the emissions from the exhaust must be withing a certain % of the car manufacturers spec, not the pass level of the MOT. Your car may pass an MOT, but will fail the new roadside test.

However, under current law if the exhaust is loud all the police need do is issue a section 59 notice against your car, due to possible nusience caused to other members of the public (noise is a nuisence). If you get a second section 59 within 12 months the car will be confiscated and face the crusher. Section 59 has no apeal procedure, and does not go to court.

cue tumbleweed...

• 10 months later...

Is it just me, or is being proud that your exhaust makes your car sound a little like an Evo is a bit like being proud that the playing card taped to your tricycle frame makes it sound a little like a motorbike? It's OK for a kid to play make-believe, but an adult? Come on...!!! You might as well get one of those Ferrari CDs and put it in your stereo IMHO... :thumbdwn:

My Xantia converted itself to a straight-through system once, at the M5 / M6 junction. (well ok the pipe broke at the cat)

I was staying in the country just outside Malvern, and arrived there without being heard by the owner of the B&B (who's Yellow Pages I promptly borrowed; concern over safety of exhaust exit point just under firewall, and chunk of loose pipe under car). Does anyone still think that a straight pipe on a TD is automatically illegal in the UK on grounds of noise?