2.5V6TDI - is this a DSG auto gearbox?

Hi,

I currently own a Octavia vRS (original version) and am looking for a bit more comfort to accomadate a bigger family hence why i am looking at the superb. Am looking at a diesel and particuarly fancy the 2.5V6 tdi. I understand this is an automatic version - how badly does this effect performance or is it the new DSG system which i hear is excellent and like no other automatic.

Any advice gratefully recieved,

Dave

Am looking at a diesel [superb] and particuarly fancy the 2.5V6 tdi. I understand this is an automatic version...

I think the 2.5 V6 TDI was available with a manual as well - I think - but they are rarer than the automatic as most people with a car the size of a Superb (espescially with a V6) usually prefer them.

As for the DSG, I think only the newer ones came with it... again, I'm not sure but hey, I thought I'd have a stab :thumbup:

Incidentially, welcome to the site :)

The 2.5 V6 diesel is old technology and not the most efficient engine. It goes quite well with lots of grunt and sounds good but burns too much fuel. An auto box on a high torque diesel will knock a huge hole in the fuel economy. The engine is producing masses of torque at a speed at which the torque converter can't be locked - so lots of slip. To the best of my knowledge, there's no NS VAG DSG gearbox - they're all transverse.

The Superb is a great car as a workhorse - I bought my 130PS diesel as a tow car. It does this really well and is a good motorway cruiser which is another part of its job. As a driver's car, it's pretty hopeless and is totally unrewarding to drive. It's a lemon because the only saving grace for a workhorse is the availability of a good estate - like the old Volvo 940 series. These were hopless as cars too, but they lasted well and as estates were incredibly useful - every antiques dealer had one. (How many Volvo 940 saloons do you see?)

So, no estate - taxi duty only for the Superb, I'm afraid. The dealers are hopeless, find a good VW independent. Don't even think about residuals if you ever want to shift it.

rotodiesel.

Just to balance out Roto. I have an 07 2.5 auto. Love it to bits and the 2.5 is a joy. Nearly a year on and I love every mile in it. MPG is fine for such a large car (you'll see this from other posts on the forum).

I'll add my two cents worth as a Superb owner of two years, it is a bit of an uninvolving drive but a lot of modern (ish) cars are. I have the 1.9 tdi 130, it is my first diesel and personally I don't think I will have another as I cannot stand the noise they make and god knows I have tried. That goes for most diesels too, even a friends bmw 530d, they all sound like tractors to me. I've driven the 2.5 V6 Superb and it still sounded like a tractor on tickover. I don't think the extra bhp of the 2.5 is worth the mpg loss compared to the 1.9 tdi and if you are looking at a diesel, mpg is more than likely the reason why. The 1.9 is lighter, more economical and still goes extremely well, in some people opinions, better than the 2.5. If you are looking at dealing with an expanding family, make sure the back seats go down which is 05 onwards I think. You will actually get more practical useable space from a hatchback of some kind than a Superb. I've been disillusioned with mine since the day I bought it but still can't find anything that offers the same for the money.

Thanks,

First time on one of these sites - useful to know they also did a manual as well. Do you have a superb? if so do you rate them, as the write ups i seen are fairly mixed - some rate it some criticise it for being dull to drive?

I do, yeah... see my sig? :P

130 TDI, and from what I can see of this site it does seem to be the pick of the engines. I'd love a V6 but rotodiesel talks a lot of sense, so I'd listed to him!

As for what I think, well... I'll definately buy another one.

One more thing...

...some criticise it for being dull to drive?

It's not as much fun to drive as our Mk2 Golf GTI, that's true... but you're (possibly) coming from a Octy VRS to a Superb... so I'll hazard a guess as to family comitments may have outweighed driving pleasure?

If they have, do what we did. Buy a Superb for family duties and a Mk2 GTI for fun :thumbup:

After 5 months of ownership of a 1.9 TDi Auto I have only two gripes of the car, the first is it was a barge on higher speed corners like motorway banks but I've compensated for this now and can get it round corners quite with ease now, the other is the power steering seems to run out of assistance when quick locking for a U turn etc, fuel eco is good, I get 30 mpg average over 400 miles of in town cabbing.

The 2.5 I think would struggle to do 23 mpg under this usage and as far as I can see it isn't much faster than a 130/140 1.9/2.0.

Dealer backup, ut oh, not good imo, seems to me they are under orders by Skoda to wiggle and clean/lube parts that should be replaced, and diagnosis isn't that hot either.

Will I buy another? not sure tbh, dealer residuals are high but px figures are low, only reliability is going to save it tbh, if it gets through until I've finished paying for it then maybe, but a little voice in the back of my head says I'll be driving an Insignia in 2 yrs time.

Thanks for the comments, very useful to hear different opinions! Am in that horrible situation where still want a fun ish car, but need more space in the rear seats as well as boot and dont want to have to spend a fortune (better mpg would also be good as only getting about 30 to gallon at present) hence the rationale for trying to get a diesel with some performance. Think am on a bit of loser anyway and will be tough to let go of my vRS! Will look into 130bhp superb as well if performance figures are similar - as have been really impressed with Skoda cars since owning my Octavia.

My 2p is that I have owned my Superb for 2 years now and came from a VW Bora, you can not expect too much from that type of change but given time I realised that the Skoda is better built than the VW and better equiped.

The Superb is never going to compare to the VRs in terms of performance and handling but these things can be changed as with any car, the suspension set up I have with mine is spot on.

Driven both the 1.9 TDI and the 2.5 V6 and I own the 1.9 and think this is honestly the better engine......135k and still counting.

If you are worried about depreciation then you wouldn't be buying a big car but if you want something that is a workhorse and is value for money then the 1.9 PD TDI Superb is a sound investment IMHO but then I am biased....

Not going to argue with any of this because the 1.9 or 2.5 one will rumble on. My point was that the car is better than Roto suggested ie "taxi duty only for the Superb". Whatever the engine the car is actually good and stands up well against rivals and warrants serious consideration if you want a large car. Workhorse into London or family car at weekends wouldn't swop it.

ps 2.5 is smoother ..........................JOKE honest !!

When I went for a test drive at Horners Manchester I was told the demo Octy DSG was suddenly unavailable (I booked it well in advance too!) Anyhoo I was taken for a drive in an Auto 2.5 Superb. The salesman then tried to convince me it was a DSG Gearbox, I tried in vain to point out that he either had monumental clutch slip or it was a conventional Auto. He did ask me out afterwards though. Bought elsewhere.

But it was a nice engine if a little short on real power, especially with the auto gearbox, I reckon my Octy is noticeably quicker.

...I tried in vain to point out that he either had monumental clutch slip or it was a conventional Auto. He did ask me out afterwards though. Bought elsewhere...

LOL!

Sorry, I've nothing useful to add to this post, I just wanted to congratulate you on getting one up on a car salesman. Good skills! :thumbup:

Not going to argue with any of this because the 1.9 or 2.5 one will rumble on. My point was that the car is better than Roto suggested ie "taxi duty only for the Superb". Whatever the engine the car is actually good and stands up well against rivals and warrants serious consideration if you want a large car. Workhorse into London or family car at weekends wouldn't swop it.

ps 2.5 is smoother ..........................JOKE honest !!

I think Roto has had a bad experience myself, I think Skoda make a good car across the board only let down by the back up service tbh, I still love the Vx cars, so should I get a new Vec over a new Superb next time it won't be because I didn't like this one.

I've an 04 Superb 2.5 v6 tdi 6sp manual and think it's pretty good. Only thing I'd like is fold down seats.

Torque is the real strong point of this engine, and it sounds pretty good - see the debate on bp ultimate, as that's all I use.

I was coming from an octy 1.6 ambiente, and so thought it was great. More power yet same mpg.

One thing that is good about the v6 is you get all the +'ves of diesel low down torque, but it will rev quite freely, and keep pulling, unlike (iirc) the standard 1.9 unit.

It's on variable servicing which is every c20k. Get an avg of 40mpg, which includes a pretty slow commute during the week and country driving with bikes on the roof at weekends. It's great on M-ways and A roads, not so on B roads, but not useless.

Had read that at the time so dealer was happy for me to take him on a 60 mile test drive round loch lomond from West end of Glasgow. Bought it that afternoon.

It's fair to comment that most of Roto's post are not in favour of the Superb......

To be honest, it looks more like his posts are not in favour of the dealers as opposed to the car. I guess it doesn't matter how good a car may be if the dealer's rubbish.

To be honest, it looks more like his posts are not in favour of the dealers as opposed to the car. I guess it doesn't matter how good a car may be if the dealer's rubbish.

Going on previous experience and never having owned a brand new car 'any' dealer will at some stage provide an expensive or poor service, it's the 'nature of the beast' so to speak......

Maintain the car yourself or at an independant garage IMHO......

He did ask me out afterwards though. Bought elsewhere.

lol getting one over on the salesman, thats cool, plus i cant beleive he asked you out whilst on the job??? :D

did he say "and heres the radio, its cd of course, and by the way what are you doing this evening??" ;)

lol getting one over on the salesman, thats cool, plus i cant beleive he asked you out whilst on the job??? :D

did he say "and heres the radio, its cd of course, and by the way what are you doing this evening??" ;)

Actually the funny bit was I had just said if he could knock £2K of the price of the car I’d buy it there and then. He said he could not do the deal and did I fancy going out for a drink. Salesmen are sooooo confident. I did think about saying yes if he would do the deal, but I think that technically make me a ‘Professional’ if you know what I mean.

Actually the funny bit was I had just said if he could knock £2K of the price of the car I’d buy it there and then. He said he could not do the deal and did I fancy going out for a drink. Salesmen are sooooo confident. I did think about saying yes if he would do the deal, but I think that technically make me a ‘Professional’ if you know what I mean.

lol im a salesman and i could never do that!! i think i'd die of embarresment!!!