Skoda Felicia Headlight Adjustment

3 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I have no intention to travel around the World with my Felicia so the other countries Police won't stop me.

I have Led bulbs (better than HID bulbs) but the light concentration with stock headlights glass isn't good in highbeam.

If the light concentration and pattern isn't good then that probably points towards poor quality LED bulbs.  Good one from the likes of Osram and Philips that is street legal (Osram Nightbreaker LED / Philips Ultinon) should give a virtually identical pattern and cut-off to that from a good halogen.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

What kind of bulbs have you tested in your Felicia so far?

all 

8 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Osram Nightbreaker LED / Philips Ultinon

they have been type certified for most reflectors but not all you know, still I would consider them leagal

4 minutes ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

they have been type certified for most reflectors but not all you know, still I would consider them leagal

Yes - I regularly check to see if they are certified for my Kodiaq (they are now in certain countries) and am aware the list of approvals is getting longer all the time - all of which suggests to me they will be a good replacement for halogens in many reflectors, even if not currently certified.

All highly advertised halogen bulbs that promise the heaven and earth have three main attributes: expensive, fragile, and short lived.

In fact they are all glorified overpowered bulbs.

• Groan 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

If the light concentration and pattern isn't good then that probably points towards poor quality LED bulbs.

I will keep that in mind but the prices are very high, two examples

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/37412718/Osram-Lampes-Aytokinitou-Night-Breaker-H4-LED-6000K-PSychro-Leyko-12V-27W-2tmch-64193DWNB-FS.html

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/40208286/Philips-Lampes-Aytokinitou-Ultinon-Pro5100-HL-H4-P43T-LED-5800K-12-24V-2tmch-11342U5100X2.html

so it's a risk especially if there are no reviews.

1 hour ago, RicardoM said:

All highly advertised halogen bulbs that promise the heaven and earth have three main attributes: expensive, fragile, and short lived.

In fact they are all glorified overpowered bulbs.

Not in my experience of Osram Night breaker +150s

11 hours ago, skomaz said:

Not in my experience of Osram Night breaker +150s

I have a different experience 😁 

2 hours ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

Didn't last long?

Nor satisfied with their performance?

They didn't last long, they are running hotter than the standard ones to achieve higher output. I wouldn't recommend them for cars without DRLs

Edited by Papez

Hello Gentlemen.

I guess most of our Felicias, after 2.5 decades have lost and show today less ilumination power.  Thats normal and the headlamps were designed according to the tecnology of the 90s.  In addition to keep low cost the H4 bulbs were chosen.  And today to most of us it seems light beam is poor and we would desire to have better headlamps.

So. I like that idea from the VW Polo  for the old face. Two beams are beautiful and might work fine. But needs some work to do.  On previous posts you talk also about bulbs. Its a difficult matter.  Ricardo said: Tge poromise heaven...   And i think it may become hell. Other important thing to consider is the regulation on each country, and of course your own responsibility yo use bulbs that wont cause glaring effect on other drivers.  Correct light pattern is the key.

In order to keep the car as original as possible, any recommendations on H4 bulbs to get better light without compromising or affecting the security of other drivers on the road?

My experience using Osram and Philips bulbs is that you can't see any difference of lighting. Moreover, they run hotter and have a short life for that reason.

To keep the original look, you'll have to make extensive modifications. Change the ribbed lens of the headlight to CLEAR lens and use one or two projectors from other models of cars.

That is a (kind of) legal solution. I have never seen one such modification with my own eyes but I've read articles from dedicated Felicia Czech forum which showed only how they look, but not details of construction or lighting comparison.

3 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

I vote for legal LEDs

You have to be more specific. LEDs refer to the source of the light, but what about the housing of that source of light and the lens?

Are you referring to just using LEDs instead of the halogen bulb and keeping the original reflector and the ribbed lens?

Or are you referring to using a projector with LEDs, getting rid of the reflector and using clear lens?

• Groan 1

I remember 20+ years ago the PIAA was the most ''famous'' (and expensine)

https://www.piaa.com/store/p/49-H4-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx

I am not sure if were 4100K or 4000K as they sell it now but at that time was a big upgrade comparing to the stock ''yellowish'' bulbs.

Some stores had the NARVA bulbs with a yellow-blue colour as ''All Weater" or ''for Rally"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Narva-Rallye-48884-H4-12-P45t-Halogen/dp/B002OQ9A72

but there was an issue with overheating and to be honest the result wasn't something ''special'', just one click better than stock but don't worth the risk.

16 minutes ago, D.FYLAKTOS said:

I am not sure if were 4100K or 4000K as they sell it now but at that time was a big upgrade comparing to the stock ''yellowish'' bulbs

Any bulb that uses a blue filter to achieve whiter light is not an upgrade. They are blocking part of light. And any H4 with higher wattage is not street legal and may damage the headlamp.

Osram bulbs achieve whiter light by pushing the filament to limits - this is why they are much more sensitive with a shorter lifespan, but they actually produce a bit more light in the visible spectrum. How much - who knows, it'd be interesting to see actual measurements.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thefeliciahacker said:

They are not certified for 9U type caddy, so they weren't tested in anything that would be close to Felicia. They are still not legal, but they should at least provide proper beam shape

Edited by Papez
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Papez said:

Any bulb that uses a blue filter to achieve whiter light is not an upgrade. They are blocking part of light.

Yes but that 3000k of the stock bulbs at night is very poor.

By the way when you make adjustments (up-down,left-right) on the first scale these pass automatically in the high beam and vice versa of every scale needs separate adjustment?