Hesitation

i am getting a flat spot when i go to pull away in first gear which almost feels as if i have removed my foot from the accelerater momenteraly.and then its fine.

I actually thought it was the traction controll as the car is is quite new been a late 04 with low miles. dont thinks its the maf .

Does this happen on cold start ???

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine will do it even up to 30 mins of driving. mainly when i pull away at a roundabout etc. got it remapped thinking that would sort it but it hasn't.

Read some people saying they cleaned throttle body but i dont have any rough idleing just this little lag in first gear

mine will do it even up to 30 mins of driving. mainly when i pull away at a roundabout etc. got it remapped thinking that would sort it but it hasn't.

Read some people saying they cleaned throttle body but i dont have any rough idleing just this little lag in first gear

Mine never had the rough idle but a throttle body clean got rid of the hesitation, mine used to happen in second gear.

coming home from work today behind a colleage in MR2 roadster (he gunned it from the lights but only pulled two car lengths) the car started hesitating at about 4k after gear change, almost feels like I've backed off the throttle, I wouldn't have thought there would be much lag at these sorts of RPM's. Ran VAG COM and have got the 17705 intermitant again (recently changed the jubilee clip on the lower end of the turbo to pancake pipe) is the throttle body clean likely to solve this or am I looking at changing one of the N valves and replacing the turbo to throttle pipework? (new007 DV so dont think its that)

Mine used to do this really bad before I swapped the ecu over for my mapped one, it aint done it since. Interesting to note that the previous ecu had a JABBA CHIP fitted which I wouldnt reccommend to anyone. I suspect that it aint to do with the subject covered in the above 'sticky'. One possibility (as with mine when i bought it) is its been a messed about octy which has been half arsed set to standard. Possibly it was mapped with loads of bolt on goodies and has been set to std except for the map hence the ecu will be messing up the fuelling which is far more noticeable when the engine is cold. Thats the problem I had but when I bought mine I had seen the tell tale signs and didn't care as its having a lump replacement, turbo upgrade and nitrous.

I know you got it as a family car but why not have it mapped a little after all they only go as fast as you make em so you could tootle around with the family then open it up without them! They are pretty meagre in std trim but pretty bulletproof so great to tune.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this will help many people with all the different hesitation issues that seem to be around, or if its connected to these problems. Anyway this is my contribution;

My 4x4 1.8T (54 plate 87k) recently started hesitating and surging when the revs got to 3000-3500rpm, below this it ran fine. The fault was intermittant and present on both LPG & petrol. VAG com showed no faults.

Reading all the posts, I was about to take the plunge and start replacing components, (N75 etc) one last check of the error logs - BINGO :) An error code.

"-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine

Controller: 06A 906 032 HJ

Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0003

Coding: 10700

Shop #: WSC 73430

TMBKL21U648762205 SKZ7Z0D2601513

1 Fault Found:

16705 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal

P0321 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: 0110 1001"

On investigation I found there was water in the connector. (There is a fly lead out to a connector mounted below the intake mainfold) I blew out the water with compressed air, cleaned the contacts and applied silicon di-electric grease to the connector. The car now runs as it should.

While I had the car in bits, I decided to check some more connectors and found water ingress on the oil level sensor, abs wheel speed sensors & a few more. Not enough to cause problems, but they did need attention. I will be doing all my electrical connectors as a precaution now as I service the car.

It may be prudent to check a few connectors - very cheap cure. £5 for a tube of grease and your time! :thumbup: Anyway, hope this helps someone.