MPG - TFSI vs TDI (170bhp)

what would be great if some one could provide the gear/speed and mpg for both petrol & diesel. so e.g 6th/60mph - 40mpg

Check out the Government figures in the brochure/website; they are the true comparison.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth folks - i just got my TFSI vRS last week and on long motorway runs (using cruise ~50%) i'm seeing 36-37mpg typical for the first 3 tanks of fuel (air con on as as well - to keep the little lady happy!) ;-). Hopefully this will improve when run-in but i've changed from a Passat TDI 4motion (45-48mpg) and am enjoying the drive more than the economy for the most part.

what would be great if some one could provide the gear/speed and mpg for both petrol & diesel. so e.g 6th/60mph - 40mpg

I don't see how you can do this??

The trip computer is either cumalative so it records and calculates the entire journey or it's instantaneous but is affected by how hard you press the throttle, wind and level of the road to list just a few.

The trip computer is either cumulative so it records and calculates the entire journey or it's instantaneous but is affected by how hard you press the throttle, wind and level of the road to list just a few.

Good point;.....

I suppose you could try and read the 'instant' mpg figure on a level road, with no wind, for a particular speed/gear, using cruise control to keep the speed steady.

Hey; tell you what I'm going to Millbrook next week where they have a level 2 mile circumference bowl (that will average the effect of the wind) and could try a few runs there. Darn it; just remembered I'm meant to be testing other cars, can't use my own and Skoda are not exhibiting.

That puts paid to that idea. :thumbdwn:

I have already attempted to do this to assertain which gear (or rpm) is best for each 10 mph increment and the affect of a few mph extra vs mpg drop etc.

ie in Sixth

60 mpg @ 50 mph

50 mpg @ 60 mph

35 mpg @ 100 mph

The way you would do this (hyperthetically given the fact that obviously not be able to test 70 mph + legally)

Choose as flat a road (A or motorway) stretch as possible for as long as possible (say 5 miles), and with low/no wind or rain etc, set cruise control at fixed speed, reset OBD average mpg and log mpg for that "run". For completeness, do this both directions to cancel out any net gradient or wind. You may wish to repeat for confirmation.

The instantaneous mpg readout can be monitored (while average clocks up in background) for volatility. If the reading varies wildly then you have had a poor run (ie gradient or wind or other road users :mad: have messed up your run).

The trip computer is either cumalative so it records and calculates the entire journey or it's instantaneous but is affected by how hard you press the throttle, wind and level of the road to list just a few.

Stu, if you press and hold the under-button for 2+ secs on the right hand stalk in any logging function (ie distance, time, average mpg etc) that the OBD resets to zero. You can do this at any time in a journey and this can be done in Mem1 and Mem2 (a single short press toggling between them).

I always reset Mem2 at fill-ups (it is retained between journeys), genererally leave Mem1 to monitor single journeys (resets if car is not driven for 2 hours) and sometimes use "intra-journey" for the kind of monitoring over a short stretch this test would require.

• 3 months later...

In the 1000 or so miles i've done in the TFSi so far, i have averaged 26 - with a fair amount of town driving. Car had 11k on it when bought.

Best i have got was a 50 mile trip - lots of single lane 50mph travel and a short 80mph blat on the motorway - 34mpg.

Recently did a couple of 150/200 mile return trips mainly motorway, cruise control at 80 mph in sixth and got 32 and 33.

Starting to think maybe mine is excessively thirsty. Being run on Tesco super to save cash (the old 5p a litre and getting clubcard points too, etc) but might try BP for a month or so and see if it improves.

my TDI has done 17000miles now and I regularly get 45 to 48mpg on my daily run (10miles with a mix of A,B and motorway roads). On a longer run on the motorway at around 70mph I will see over 50mpg and have managed a maximum of 56mpg. I am pretty happy with that (in my mk 1 VRS I normally managed 35mpg on the way to work and 40ish on a long run).

But it all depends what you like to drive though because the savings will not mean anything if you hate driving the diesel. Also if you buy the new CR engine then I believe you will get a more refined diesel and better fuel ecomony than the PD.

According to scientific tests done by whatcar they most efficient way of driving regarding mpg is to be as high gear as possible whilst not straining the engine.

40mph in 6th gets you more mpg than 50 or 60 in 6th, the 'optimum' speed is a load of tosh!

Well,

yesterday I had a short journey with family (car packed with 2 adults, 2 childrens, all the sort of baggages you can imagine :) ).

I didn't drive a'la briskoda, but as a "family man" (well, I really am): trip computer said that average speed was 40.4mph, and consumption 50mpg on a mix of country and motorway.

P.S.: This late afternoon I got a stunning - almost incredible to be written - 94mpg after a short country based trip back home, yes it was almost downhill, but with a lot of corners and brakes (babies and SWMBO on board :) ). It seems the VRS TDI is really a money saver if driven gently.

Edited by Genoa1893

• 4 months later...
Bit concearned now. My TDI has 12k on it and I do at least 190 miles every day on a mix of A roads, Motorway and a bit of town stuff. Sit approx 75 on motorway, and have a bit of fun on the 28 miles of A road - I cannot get more than 41/42 out of her. Even on a frequent hack down to Birmingham from Dundee no more than 43 at 75 with cruise on. However the main difference I feel between tdi and TFSI is like drive the TDI like its on fire and I still cannot get it to drop below 38MPG.

Hi I'm getting exacty the same..... the oveall average is 45 after some very boring frugal driving mostly 70 on the mway....

Eratic flowing mwas bring high 40's but yes, thrash it and 38 is as low as it goes.....

Car just nudged the 1000 mile mark today.

Trip to work approx 43 miles, over half on fairly twisty country roads, lots of decelerating and accelerating (occasionally catching out the DSG, so switched to manual for the first time - GREAT) - 47.1mpg

Trip back on main A road in full automatic - 51.3mpg

Both figures were taken from the trip computer, so may be slightly optimistic, but I'm still pretty impressed considering the car's so young.