Air box mods!

ethos

Hi guys,

Has anyone "modded" their air box. There are two things that can be done...

Drilling holes in the bottom and/or definning it.

Has anyone done either with good results? I want a bit more induction noise but don't have the cash to buy an expensive induction kit :thumbup:

Take the cold air feed off the airbox, this will give more induction noise and have the same result as drilling holes in the box - that is they will both reduce power as you will now be introducing warm air (engine bay) into the engine rather than the lovely cold air its designed to have.

A few 1mm holes in the exhaust back box will also compliment this mod and give you a more 'sportier' exhaust note.

:doh:

I think de-finning the airbox (not sure if this is best done clean side or dirty side) is supposed to be worth doing, seeing as it's a free mod! And I'm sure I've read some people had modified the air feed to the standard airbox by running a larger diameter pipe down to the wheel arch area.

It is an Octy vRS you have isn't it and not a 1.2 Corsa? In which case please do not drill your airbox!

Ha, yea it's a vRS :)

The fins on the air box are so small tho, like 10mm high or so...

I think i'm going to take the filter out this weekend and give it a smack or two so might do it whilst im there.

Just got to find something suitable to cut them... bit of a tight angle. Maybe a sharp knife and then bend them till they snap off!

Yeah, they're only small but it will make a slight difference in the air flow. I think they are there to try and quieten down the induction noise on the car, but won't necessarily flow air as best as possible. If you imagine pouring water through your air box, those little 10mm high ridges would make a hell of a lot of difference, it'd be like a little water feature, rather than a nice smooth, meandering river... or something!

I think if you score along the join of the ridge to the box they will snap off like you've said. Or if you have a Dremel or similar you could whizz them off in no time. Just make sure there aren't any little bits of debris when your finished, youwouldn't want any nasties going through your turbo!

Nope!! Think I might do it around the back and hoover the box after just incase ;)

Would be interesting to see the difference, no-ones actually covered it on here... well from what I can find on search.

The pipercross panel filter helped, want to see how it looks after 5k.

I think if you do a search for 'pikey mods' it will covered there somewhere. That or 'de-finning'. I'm sure I remember seeing a few of the guys with quite big power recomended doing it with an 80mm air feed. Thinking about it, I might have read it when I was deciding whether to get a Carbonio, so it might have popped up in one of those searches. Anyway, I'm sure it's been done and calculated/proven by some of the big boys. I will do it to mine when I can be bothered! Too cold to do anything at the mo and I'm too busy...

Ha, yea it's a vRS :)

The fins on the air box are so small tho, like 10mm high or so...

I think i'm going to take the filter out this weekend and give it a smack or two so might do it whilst im there.

Just got to find something suitable to cut them... bit of a tight angle. Maybe a sharp knife and then bend them till they snap off!

I definned my airbox in my fabia, very slight improvement in throttle response, but barely noticable, prob would make more difference with a higher performace airfilter which i should be getting soon!

I used a chissel and a hammer to get them off, got to be carfull you dont go through the whole box though! I then used some sandpaper to tiddy up the job. Cut the **** out of my hand tho!

• 1 year later...

I did this mod on my previos car which was a mk4 golf gti, i used a dremal, took me about 2 hours to do both sections of the aribox. I noticed a slight difference but again will probs notice bigger improvment in higher performance car, my golf gti was slooooow so didnt really help much tbh. Might try it on the octavia though :)

• 2 weeks later...

i carried out the pikey mod of drilling my air box:O, lots more induction noise and when i took my car for a re-map, on the before run on the rollers it made 158bhp (8bhp up on standard) this was with a standard filter, tho i doubt the airbox is responsible for the increase but who knows?! thinking about fitting a standard airbox soon as the induction noise is getting on my nerves, especially the first minute or two when starting from cold, sounds like a scooby! ok when you're a 17yr old boy racer, but i'm not:(

think i will try a standard air box, de-finned and with a larger intake pipe routed to behind the n/s bumper grille