Cage mod Question??

HC1001

That stuff will do it.

It's just a spray version and maplins own.

It is still silcone grease and they have added PTFE which is an awesome insulator. I'd say it's all good, put some on the MAF connector and then plug it all back together.

I had some silicon di-electric grease kicking around so tried it on a friends car. I feel a bit of an improvement with smoother coming on and off the power, but no improvement at all at idle.

My stuff is the servisol tube that you can buy in mapli/RS etc.

As such I'm still unconvinced, but time will tell.

Yes, thats the wrong stuff.

It should be Servisol Silicone grease, its in a 50g white tube, sorry not a spray, think its about £4

anyone got the store code for this? :thumbup:

couldn't get it yesterday. :(

Its better to use the grease than the spray:

I actually totally filled the female part of the MAF connector with the stuff then you slowly push on the male part of the connector.

You will see the spare grease being forced out the top of the connector. This way you force out any air in the two parts and more importantly there is no movement between the two parts, allowing good consistent connection - aided by the silicone grease.

A small improvement in responsiveness is noticed but don't expect a lot.

Grease or spray won't make a huge difference as all it is doing is coating the connector.

Main advantage of the solid grease is that you can apply it once and pretty much forget about it as opposed to maybe giving the connector a spray once in a blue moon.

The spray however won't go hard and manky over time due to dust etc getting trapped in it. This will require effort to clean out. Using the spray means you don't end up with this and any possible issues it might cause.

At the end of the day it will make no difference what you use as long as it is a silicon dielectric grease in one form or the other. What the grease does is coat the connectors to prevent oxidation and where one connector makes contact with the other this will be broken off allowing connection. The grease will keep out moisure and prevent electrical leakage so in theory giving a better signal.

Other dielectric greases may well work fine too, but I haven't looked into any of them.

A 50 gramme tube is only £4 at Maplins

If they've any in stock, And your lucky enough to have a Maplins near you.

Alternatively CPC do the Servisol for £3.34 but you need an account, And minimum order total of £40 to avoid postage. Gotta take the bad wiyh the good