25k miles a year - Petrol or Diesel vRS?

I currently drive a remapped Fabia vRS and get 45mpg. My drive to work is 90 miles across A and B roads. I find that the Fabia is a little small and it'd be nice to have something more comfortable - Octavia vRS seems like a nice upgrade.

However, what one to buy? Petrol vRS is cheaper (about 2k cheaper used), but the Diesel vRS is more economical and will hold it's value better.

I've driven the Petrol vRS about 18 months ago and loved it - but ended up buying a Focus ST. Situation changed and we've currently got 2 cars both doing 20-25k miles a year - a 2.2 Diesel Civic (girlfriend uses this) and a Fabia VRS (mine).

Any advice? What one would you go for?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At those sort of miles it would seem a TDI would be the one to go for...

On a decent run, and driven in a reasonable manner, I can see 38-39 mpg from my TFSI, but remember the engine runs best on super unleaded which costs about the same as diesel so there are no gains in terms of fuel price.

After having a couple of TDI engined cars though I'm more than happy to shell out a tad more at the pumps as the TFSI engine is such a joy to drive!

I've got to be saying Diesel, 'cos I have one; but it is a more relaxed drive with a Tsunami of torque and overall, journey for journey, fuel consumption is about 10mpg better than the TFSI.

I'm doing similar mileage to you and have a petrol vRS which IS expensive at the pumps :o but if you can live with that then go for the petrol as it's a more exhillarating drive imho, if not then the diesel is the more logical choice.

Roughly, using Super Unleaded, the petrol will cost £60 more a month to fuel, based on 45mpg for the Diesel and 35mpg for the Petrol.

Are these figures realistic for normal driving?

I have a similar choice and run a remapped Leon FR PD150 ('04 MK1 model) for the big mile commute I do. I don't yearn for the petrol version since the wave of torque compensates and on a long journey you tend not to thrash it through the gears (which is where the drive in a petrol does out-do the diesel for fun cos you can't beat a good high rev thrash). I reckon that on fuel I spend about 9 - 10p per mile as £48 gets me around 480-500 miles. I can get this down a lot if I drive economically but being practical - I need to get home at a reasonable time! I get about 46mpg on avg.

I'm doing similar mileage to you and have a petrol vRS which IS expensive at the pumps :o but if you can live with that then go for the petrol as it's a more exhilarating drive imho, if not then the diesel is the more logical choice.

.... more exhilarating? let me take you out in my TDI on the RR day and try and convert you! :D;)

I reckon Makefish might have the edge here - having driven his car and come away with an expensive wish list!

I think a standard 2.0T would have the edge. Steve's VRs would walk away from it.

I think a standard 2.0T would have the edge. Steve's VRs would walk away from it.

Straight line speed is not the be all and end all. Its the sum of the parts that count.

We'll have to wait and see.

Straight line speed is not the be all and end all. Its the sum of the parts that count.

Considering a remapped TFSI has around 300 lb/ft of torque I can't see how the old 'in gear acceleration up a hill' theory stacks up...

Be intresting to see how a remapped PD170 and a remapped TFSI compared though?

Didn't someone post a clip from a Czech motor show on here a bit a go which did a comparison of the 2 cars, including a bit on a track?

Edit: Here's the thread with the vid

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/octavia-ii/vrs-diesel-v-petrol-vid-interesting/95862/

Petrol vRS for Performance & Fun

Diesel vRS for Economy & Pace

Much that I admire and appreciate your defence of the diesel it will never equal the full on exhileration of the TFSI whether it be in the Octavia or any other VAG marque.

Much that I admire and appreciate your defence of the diesel it will never equal the full on exhileration of the TFSI whether it be in the Octavia or any other VAG marque.

I appreciate the careful wording. I think the two worlds are slowly getting closer. It’s a bit like Plasma tellys are better than LCD, but they are putting so much development into LCDs they are catching up, even though it is a cheaper and inferior technology for watching say, movies. I can see a day when LCDs and Plasmas are equal in IQ overall and similarly Diesel and Petrol will be too. Different in character, but with an equal number of strengths and similar performance. I do admit the noise will never be the same though.

I've always been a diesel fan, and like the feeling of going fast.

However, I know my next car WILL be a petrol, either a big na engine or a 1.8T/2.0T... swinging towards the Octy L&K 1.8TFSI with a remap option at the moment! :P

I just yearn for the smoothness of the petrol engines, and they are so much quieter, and so much more fun!!!

Quite right. The diesel will never be a match for it.

Hmm, "tweaks", fsd's and eibachs and no big heavy lump up the front, more horsepower, more rev's and virtually the same torque ........... I feel it may not be Steve choking on fumes chap :)

My tweaked PD140 with quite a few "Nik Naks" is nowhere near as quick as my petrol TFSi vRS was, point to point, straight line, mid range my old vRS would muller it. My vRS was "similar" in specs to Steve's

I am thinking of getting out of my PD140 this year for an Ex Demo MkV golf DSG, subject to finances I have the car in my sights. (You watch the Mrs get preggers again or the interest rates go up or something)

Hmm, "tweaks", fsd's and eibachs and no big heavy lump up the front, more horsepower, more rev's and virtually the same torque ........... I feel it may not be Steve choking on fumes chap :)

My tweaked PD140 with quite a few "Nik Naks" is nowhere near as quick as my petrol TFSi vRS was, point to point, straight line, mid range my old vRS would muller it. My vRS was "similar" in specs to Steve's

I am thinking of getting out of my PD140 this year for an Ex Demo MkV golf DSG, subject to finances I have the car in my sights. (You watch the Mrs get preggers again or the interest rates go up or something)

This might make me seem to be ‘one of them’ but my car had the same power as a 2.0 TFSI, around 295lb/ft, weighs about the same and has a much better weight distribution, 50/50, than any Octy TFSI, oh and it’s a 2.0 Diesel. It is also faster than its’ 2.0 petrol sibling and isn’t modified in any way. Ok it doesn’t rev as well as a petrol, but the gearing is much higher, giving it a similar band of power and torx. It is also very, very quiet on the motorway, even if at idle it is pretty obvious there isn’t a spark plug in sight (well to people outside the car). The Diesel engine is gaining ground all the time and when the new VAG 200+bhp diesel comes out later this year, it will be interesting to see how well it performs. Obviously, Mpgs are way better than any equivalent petrol model. And yes, it will never sound great.

ahhhhh ... Your "one of them" :) :)

I understand exactely what your saying but in the context of the current vRS TDi and vRS 2.0TFSi, and only in that context :) there is no contest, power, performance, tuning potential.

ahhhhh ... Your "one of them" :) :)

I understand exactely what your saying but in the context of the current vRS TDi and vRS 2.0TFSi, and only in that context :) there is no contest, power, performance, tuning potential.

If the new VAG engine is as good as the BMW one (and I see no reason why it wont be) it might end up in the Octy and then it will be very interesting days at the Brisky meets.:)

I appreciate that Makefish's TFSI is well tweaked and would probably leave my TDI behind, but not for dead;

however, for Dawson's benefit we should really be talking about TDI vs TFSI in 'Standard' tune.

I made my offer to illustrate/demonstrate to Makefish that the TDI vRS isn't the 'runt' that all you TFSI drivers think it is!! ;) :P

i currently own a 06 tfsi and do about 15k a year in it, in my opinion its the best car ive owned, but if i was doing any more miles id reckon it would be well in my interest to have a diesel, but as i only do a max of 15k my car suites me well, if i were you id have a diesel but thats just my 2 cents, on the previous figures of 60 pound a month thats £3600 over 5 years, wouldn't that help a nice bit with repayments. :thumbup: