Cars that have surprised you!

ethos

Just a bit of a fun thread!

Cars you've had a play with on the roads that have really suprised you. I'll go first-

106 gti, only gained like 5-6 car length in front of it from 20 to just under triple figures.

Golf GT (1.4 turbo 170bhp), this guy must of had some tuning as it was pretty much identical until with mine until 90ish.

Tell me yours! :thumbup:

P.S all done on a private road.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cars you've had a play with on the roads that have really suprised you. I'll go first-

106 gti, only gained like 5-6 car length in front of it from 20 to just under triple figures.

Golf GT (1.4 turbo 170bhp), this guy must of had some tuning as it was pretty much identical until with mine until 90ish.

Bloke at work has a Toyota Starlet GT

It is the most awful and sh1te car ever, it looks boring, it's all broken inside, things are falling off it and it has an exhaust like a baked bean can. It brakes your bones on even smooth roads, and I really had to laugh at this bloke for owning such a peice of sh1te

......and then he took me out in it. Quite possibly the fastest car I have ever been in, and that includes a tuned skyline!

I followed him out of work once, and I thought this isn't so bad, I can keep up. Then I heard the turbo spin up and I never saw him again!!!

Are you sure it wasn't the GT 170 diesel?

Could of been, it had a twin exhaust if this helps?

I'm pretty sure both do but could be wrong.

Mk5 Golf GT could've been the Turbo / Supercharged one.

That is the aforementioned 1.4 170bhp one.

I was given a Kia Ceed diesel(1.6) last month at Stanstead airport as a hire car for a week working in Suffolk/Norfolk. Initially wasn't happy, it was a Kia after all, but it turned out to be a bloody good little car My main critisism was poor soundproofing- car was very noisy underneath when driving in wet. Compared to my old 110hp Octavia performance was excellent as was build quality.

Suppose this is just the same badge snobbery that Skoda suffers/suffered from. Liked the idea of 7yr 100000m warranty. My Octavia when new had 3yr Unlimited warranty in 1999 doesn't say much for the brand when they no longer have the confidence to offer this.

Raced s Suzuki Swift with my old Rover 214 once. Thing took off like a rocket. Should've seen my face when the guy told me it was a 1.3 8v carb engine!

imagine what the 16v versions are like with a close ratio box!

i'll add:

Puma - great fun to drive and reasonably quick

dolomite sprint - when it was going

Years ago I had a Renault Laguna 1.6 16v. Not the fastest car in the world but reasonable.

We were driving up in Scotland once and I couldn't shake off this old camper van behind me despite me really going for it. Either it had had an engine transplant or Michael Schumacher was driving it!

Astra GTE mk2 , .

I overtook one of these when it was pulling away from the lights as i approched the lights at full speed,which started a tailgating astra driver following me for miles which i couldnt shake off:rolleyes:

New shape punto thing with the stripes. Is that an abarth thing or a GT. Anyway I was 4 up and had to work to keep pace.

Oh and Ferrari Enzo. Mixed it with one in my old esprit. Hearing one of those at Full chat on the road is awesome!! We had the windows open and sunroof out and it was ace!!

Cheers

Have to say I normally get excited about cars, drive them and end up underwhelmed...

However, remember being chased by a standard looking Corsa in the vRS and not gaining any ground - we had a chat in a nearby petrol station and he tried to convince me the red top was a 1.4 and not a 2.0 :rofl:

Mazda 3MPS blew my expectations out of the water, very impressive.

I was out for a ride many years ago with a friend in his MG Midget and we came across this thing called a Golf Gti 1.6 as we drove into a filling station. As it was driven by 2 elderly women, my friend pulled out sharpish after them saying ‘lets show them how it’s done…… ‘well he didn’t finish the last bit as he was choking on it’s fumes and tyre smoke as it disappeared into the sunset!!:eek::rofl: We never saw it again and he was giving the MG everything he could. The Golf was an astonishing little car when it first came out and needless to say, as my friend came from a pretty wealthy background, he bought a Golf the following week:rofl: