High Mileage TFSI's

my octy has made 76.000 km (approx. 47500 miles). runs fine, but I'm not satisfied with the noise that comes out of the engine for the first few seconds when it's started cold. feels like the camshafts are short of oil. the minimum gas consumption I've had is 8.5 liters per 100 km.

my octy has made 76.000 km (approx. 47500 miles). runs fine, but I'm not satisfied with the noise that comes out of the engine for the first few seconds when it's started cold. feels like the camshafts are short of oil.

They probably are short of oil, it will have drained down to the sump, particularly as modern oils are quite 'thin'.

the minimum gas consumption I've had is 8.5 litres per 100 km.

That is 33.4mpg for us non-Europeans. Pretty good. :thumbup: Can't get ragged too often. :D

8000 miles in 7 months.

Long term mpg was about 35 until the cold weather set in now at about 33.

I got 37.3mpg going to Glasgow airport and back at the weekend with the cruise set at about 73mph.

I've put in 1l of oil in that 8000 miles.

Car is driven for economy unless I'm in the mood for a blast.

Only ever been fed super unleaded bar the odd tankful and normally Vpower. I don't know if that makes a difference to oil consumption etc.

It's never been back to the dealer since I got it. Touch wood.

• 6 years later...

If TSI's are allowed to crash the party, I'm at 52k from new with no issues (touching wood).

Modern engines should do well over 100k these days with no issues. Don't know why folk get so worried about mileage. You tend to get more problems with low mileage cars cause there not used enough.

83k trading in next week. Some issues with the car but engine has never missed a beat.

MOT'd on Tuesday.

CO reading was 0.00% and the hydrocarbons (I think) were also 0.00 on both tests.

Lamda was spot on 1.00

If that indicates engine health then it looks pretty good for the TFSI in mine.

I service annually and only use Super unless I'm stuck.

Got 41.1mpg on the run to work this morning which is high for me but I wasn't even trying. Long term is running at 35.4mpg.

Edited by Aspman