Vtec bashing... WTF?

SkodaLover

I keep popping over here from the itr-dc5 owners club, as I'll always be a briskodian at heart. But I seem to see a lot of vtec bashing going on atm. WTF... :thumbdwn: I continually see the Fabia being compared with the CTR... WHY?

Why is it that most people assume the engine is hopeless out of vtec, it's not, the engine may not be brimming with torque, but this is offset with the gearing. I just had a little jaunt to see just how bad my car accelerates out of vtec, please view:

0-60mph = 6.0-6.5 seconds, 0-100mph = 20 seconds. I hardly think thats bad, infact I was pretty amazed at the 0-60!

Now please see my fabia vRS video:

0-60mph = 8.0-8.5 seconds, 0-100mph = 21 seconds.

As standard it is not position to be compared with or even should be compared with a Type R, it's a pointless exercise. Remapped cars might get close on the move, but they ultimately run out of puff at around 90mph, however Jason's (EDIT AND *Shifty’s*) car may fair a little better! ;)

Now please understand, this is not a Fabia bashing post, I loved my Fabia and think it was the best car I have owned (I haven't had my ITR long enough to compare it). The balance between, performance/economy, ride comfort/cornering ability and then there was the build quality, price, residuals... After just over 2 years of ownership I got bored and wanted something new and a bit more focused.

Just for the record, my car is a little more fun in VTEC... :DYouTube - JDM Honda Integra (DC5) Type R 60-100mph Acceleration

Remapped cars might get close on the move, but they ultimately run out of puff at around 90mph, however Jason's car may fair a little better! ;)

Having followed Shifty’s car, I think I can add it to that list too as it goes a lot harder for a lot longer than that :D

I keep popping over here from the itr-dc5 owners club, as I'll always be a briskodian at heart. But I seem to see a lot of vtec bashing going on atm. WTF... :thumbdwn: I continually see the Fabia being compared with the CTR... WHY?

Why is it that most people assume the engine is hopeless out of vtec, it's not, the engine may not be brimming with torque, but this is offset with the gearing. I just had a little jaunt to see just how bad my car accelerates out of vtec, please view:

0-60mph = 6.0-6.5 seconds, 0-100mph = 20 seconds. I hardly think thats bad, infact I was pretty amazed at the 0-60!

Now please see my fabia vRS video:

0-60mph = 8.0-8.5 seconds, 0-100mph = 21 seconds.

As standard it is not position to be compared with or even should be compared with a Type R, it's a pointless exercise. Remapped cars might get close on the move, but they ultimately run out of puff at around 90mph, however Jason's (EDIT AND *Shifty’s*) car may fair a little better! ;)

Now please understand, this is not a Fabia bashing post, I loved my Fabia and think it was the best car I have owned (I haven't had my ITR long enough to compare it). The balance between, performance/economy, ride comfort/cornering ability and then there was the build quality, price, residuals... After just over 2 years of ownership I got bored and wanted something new and a bit more focused.

Just for the record, my car is a little more fun in VTEC... :DYouTube - JDM Honda Integra (DC5) Type R 60-100mph Acceleration

Aww not again

Fabia's are faster...........end of;)

Whatever car you have - whether a Ferrari or a Fiat or a Fabia or whatever - as long as YOU are happy with it - that's all that matters.

Off topic: Can we get back to fun/informative/friendly discussions? - there's been way too many personally insulting downright deliberately aimed-to-upset type posts recently on Briskoda......

If anybody feels inadequate - find another forum to post up thinly-veiled insults on and don't waste good server time on here!

(fed up with the number of raised handbags)

Bas :lol

Whatever car you have - whether a Ferrari or a Fiat or a Fabia or whatever - as long as YOU are happy with it - that's all that matters.

Off topic: Can we get back to fun/informative/friendly discussions? - there's been way too many personally insulting downright deliberately aimed-to-upset type posts recently on Briskoda......

If anybody feels inadequate - find another forum to post up thinly-veiled insults on and don't waste good server time on here!

(fed up with the number of raised handbags)

Bas :lol

Now BMWs, there’s a car, especially the diesels………………………..:rofl:

I can see this strikes a lot of interest with a couple of members...:rolleyes:

I really wasn't to try and make this a Fabia vs thread, but to highlight peoples misconceptions with the VTEC engine. I hear so many people saying, "yeah, but they are gutless out of VTEC" or "You need to wring their necks, just to get them to move" etc. So I thought I'd post this thread to enlighten a few of those people. ;)

@ Jason... Linear... :rofl:

what you have to remember is many diesel drivers have them bacause a: they cant afford to run a petrol or b: a company policy says they have to... (which is my situ or would run a VXR Astra) this tends to lead to bitterness and defence of the breed.

personally i hate the delivery of my diesel and would happily trade torque for revs.

what you have to remember is many diesel drivers have them bacause a: they cant afford to run a petrol

Spot on! :thumbup: I'd love to be driving a decent petrol car (not a CTR though as they're gay ;)) and miss a decent rev range and a decent sound, but more pressing priorities mean I don't have the cash available to fund one. Lucky I have some very generous friends :D:rofl:

Chris

Well i love my Integra,was going to sell it but some new tyres and now the engine has a covered more miles its getting better all the time.

I will be replacing it later this year though,am going to get the new JDM Civic Type-R(FD2).

Test driving one this week and can't wait.

The thing i find having a VTEC engine is when i drive any other petrol car that "only" revs to 6200rpm they feel like a diesel.

Furby is only 1 sec slower to 100mph ;) tells me that the Furby has better midrange torque. Not something the VTec engines are renouned for :)

Although the whole point of the video was that he was not using the VTEC zone ;) So a torquey Fabia is 1 second slower to 100mph than a "gutless" N/A petrol engine? :D

Chris

Don't understand it either - why compare your car's performance to one in a completely different sector? At least Fabia vs. Fiesta vs. Punto would be like-for-like. As for anyone beating anyone else, a CTR would struggle to beat a Fabia vRS if the CTR driver didn't know what they were doing but the vRS driver did. But put good drivers in both, and the Fabia vRS wouldn't stand a chance.

Fabia 2.0l, on the other hand...

:sofahide:

Great Videos.

I really liked my fabia vRS and I do really like my Honda Civic Type R.

I can't say which I liked more as they both differ in so many ways.

The fact is both cars put a smile on my face and both cars have never let me down.

Although the whole point of the video was that he was not using the VTEC zone ;) So a torquey Fabia is 1 second slower to 100mph than a "gutless" N/A petrol engine? :D

Chris

That is based on the assumption i wathed the video LOL

But then why have a car that is only any good above 7k rpm or what have you? LOL

I drive diesel because I like diesel engines, I like their power delivery and I like the fuel economy. I've never craved a large rev range, I've never craved a red line above 5000rpm. This is perhaps just because I've never experienced that, having been brought up on a farm (which obviously uses diesel tractors, diesel combines etc) in a family which has always had turbo diesel cars.

But the point of this post is to say this. Us diesel fanatics that say "no good outside of vtech" are hypocrites. Since when has a diesel engine been "good" outside turbo boost? ;)

That is based on the assumption i wathed the video LOL

But then why have a car that is only any good above 7k rpm or what have you? LOL

but thats exactly what the video shows, that its not useless out fo teh vtec business seeing as its still faster when changing gear at 5k instead of 7k or whatever.

i like variable valve timing,it is nice and economical below the cam change and a nutter mobile above,the best of both worlds,the fabia on the other hand,is economical,and in standard form swift at best,i don't even know why i love the fabia after a diet of predominently fast or insane jap cars,i think i like a challenge:D