Getting a new VRS

Hi all

Hope you can help me with my dilemma.

I'm going to be ordering a new Octavia TDI VRS within the next couple of months and was wondering what dealer extra's are worth getting, what things are useful and worth having?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Been covered a few times Dave but some of my favourites are -

Maxidot

Rear Parking Sensors

Light Assist

Obviously the current free upgrade (Jumbo, 18's & Dual Zone)

Xenon's

Cruise

basically as above.

Parking sensors are essential, not too keen on the brightness of the std headlamps so Xenons are another good'un

Cruise is not essential but it helps a lot through roadworks with distance cameras and can always be retrofitted afterwards

Maxidot is nice but not essential, same with light assist.

I'd definatly say the top two when ordering and the other 3 if funds allow. Also as vrStu says make sure that the current free equipment upgrade is still on as climate control, the jumbo box and rear electric windows are nice to have and the 18" wheels fill out the arches a bit better.

I got my vrs on an 06 plate couple of weeks back.

I'd give a massive thumbs up for the Xenon, especially if, like me, you do driving through country lanes at night.

Cruise control was useful when we travelled from Yorkshire to South Wales - control through the camera infested roadworks was handy, as mentioned above.

Rear sensors also a real bonus, wasn't sure how useful they'd be, but they helped get out of a tight parking spot at work last week. Take some getting used to through.

Obviously the freebie options are a given.

Not got maxidot, so can't comment on it.

I'd recommend cruise control if you do a lot of motorway driving, Xenons are also great (had them on the TT) but didn't bother with them on the VRs and parking sensors are only necessary if you're not spacially aware.

Just to be contraversial, I dont find the standard headlights that bad.......... but maybe as the other poster says, if you do a lot of night driving then probably worth the upgrade.

Steve

Thanks for the help guys.

The Xenons would be a must, not too sure with the cruise as I like to be in control and just can't get used to it. Parking sensors may be conceded as the Octavia is rather larger than my current Focus.

What is maxidot?

Dave

Another one for standard headlights here.. Guess it depends on your night time driving requirements but coming from a car that had Xenons, the standard ones are excellent IMO.

Been covered a few times Dave but some of my favourites are -

Maxidot

Rear Parking Sensors

Light Assist

Obviously the current free upgrade (Jumbo, 18's & Dual Zone)

Xenon's

Cruise

Thats what we have ordered, can't wait for the car to arrive and the Audi to go..lol :rofl:

I think the standard headlights are more than up to the job - sure xenons are nice, but far from essential.

Cruise is a must imo, but thats easily retrofitted.

Rear sensors would be good if you can afford them for sure - not sure how easy these are to fit afterwards.

And for the cost of maxidot - you'd be silly not to. ;)

Just to be contraversial, I dont find the standard headlights that bad..........

Having been out in an Octy II with and without xenons, I can honestly say there was very little to chose between them, even down dark unlit country lanes. However, they will make your car more desirable come resale time so might be worth considering.

Never really bothered with cruise as it takes the enjoyment out of driving imho, but it can be easily retrofitted at a later date if you change your mind.

Dual zone climate is a must though and the electric rear windows (that can be disabled) if you have kids! :rofl: I'm also quite partial to heated seats.

Chris

Never really bothered with cruise as it takes the enjoyment out of driving imho

Sort of agree with you there but I find it good for the motorway etc as the car is that smooth at speed you are doing 100+ without even feeling it, although setting it at 75-80 seems like the car is going at a snails pace.

Obviously good for other roads that are littered with Cash Cameras and the SPECS cameras through roadworks etc.

Although, having come from a Nissan Navara (thank-god after watching BBC this morning) that had the cruise switches on the steering wheel the Octy CC isnt quite as easy to use.

Steve

Thanks for the help guys.

The Xenons would be a must, not too sure with the cruise as I like to be in control and just can't get used to it. Parking sensors may be conceded as the Octavia is rather larger than my current Focus.

What is maxidot?

Dave

yeah, what is Maxidot!!!??? maybe I have it I dont even know!! I only just discovered you can actually turn off the multifuction dash display!!!!!!:rofl:

yeah, what is Maxidot!!!??? maybe I have it I dont even know!! I only just discovered you can actually turn off the multifuction dash display!!!!!!:rofl:
If you can turn it off, then you have it. I take it you have the blue display. That is maxidot. The non maxidot display is just a simple lcd display that you can view different data with (time, temp, etc)

Thanks for the help in deciding.

I've just been reading through threads about DPF blockage problems and this is concerning.

What can be done to solve this / stop it from happening. I'm going to be using the car for commuting too and from work through town’s (30mph) from Monday to Friday's?

I've just been reading through threads about DPF blockage problems and this is concerning.

What can be done to solve this / stop it from happening. I'm going to be using the car for commuting too and from work through town’s (30mph) from Monday to Friday's?

As a guess, just taking it for a blast down the back roads once a week,will probably clear it. I think it's more to do with the heat the exhaust gases generate that help to clear it, so anything that gets the engine hot enough to work efficiently would probably do the trick.

Must admit I did not get the reverse sensors and have to park in the likes of airport carparks at least a week. Never once had a problem reversing an estate with blacked out windows yet (long may that continue)

I think the standard headlights are more than up to the job - sure xenons are nice, but far from essential.

Replacing the standard bulbs with Phillips Xtreme also helps :rofl: