What to replace Fabia VRS with?

I had originally thought of replacing my wifes 55 Plate VRS with a fresher VRS in the next few months.

The ideal would have been an SE. However the prices people seem to be asking are north of £12k. But they are still pretty rare in the classifieds.

This puts them close to newer cars such as Corsa VXR & Clio 197 (even a F1 R27). For which lightly used examples are at £13K.

I know these other cars cant compare in fuel economy but an extra £500 a year on fuel cant be that bad given the service intervals on these petrols are probably slightly longer an probably a bit cheaper. They are going to handle better than VRS and be quicker(given I'm not interested in spending £££ moding my car)

....and they have Recaros!.

Thoughts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all going to depend on what YOU want. I quite like the VRS, if the ideal was a VRS how come that's changed. You could always try a diesel that's got a bit more grunt, like an Astra [150] or Ibiza [160].

Could always look at a Fiesta ST - know a couple of people with these and they rave on about them all the time. I really like the corsa VXR but haven't really looked into their values.

Any of the cars youve mentioned will wipe the floor with the vRS...

test drive them and see which you prefer, they are very different from the furby indeed.

A standard one yes, but a freind of mine was raving about his new corsa vxr being the nuts and braggin that it would wipe the floor with my car.

I soon taught him the truth. ;)

But then again your after a standard car, with a standard vrs the VXR and clio will be faster. :thumbup:

A standard one yes, but a freind of mine was raving about his new corsa vxr being the nuts and braggin that it would wipe the floor with my car.

I soon taught him the truth. ;)

But then again your after a standard car, with a standard vrs the VXR and clio will be faster. :thumbup:

That's one of the major problems that i'm going to have, I have to have a standard car. I'd love to mod my VRS SE but even putting a rear arb on it adds 200quid to the premium, brakes+map+arb doubles it... So it's standard until my premium is likely to be less silly!

That's one of the major problems that i'm going to have, I have to have a standard car. I'd love to mod my VRS SE but even putting a rear arb on it adds 200quid to the premium, brakes+map+arb doubles it... So it's standard until my premium is likely to be less silly!

Get in touch with Brentacre mate... they sorted me with a policy for 6 quid a month more with a remap and handling mods ;)

I think we're going to be seeing a lot of threads like this... as unless you're willing to drop 25 horsepower and opt for a Fabia sport - then there is no Skoda model for you to go for.

The Fabia lineup is definitely lacking a Mk 2 vRS... and it's going to cost them dearly as people start looking at vauxhall and ford rather than VAG brands :(

To be fair all the reasons I bought the VRS are still vaild. When I bought it I could buy nothing else for the price that would match it.

As its my wifes car I like he to have something new & reliable with warranty & recovery. As time goes on more parts need replaced. I used to buy 4 year old cars and used to always get caught for tyres,brakes, exhaust, cambelt during ownership. Buyin 6- 12 month old cars means you maybe have a little more depreciation but you skip alot of these other running costs.

When I first bought it I has a car that did 22mpg. Now I have one that does 50 mpg too.

I like to drive as many different cars as possible (maybe I should be a motoring journalist). So If I change my wife or my car every 2 years I get a new car to play with every year.

I have always liked the Seat Cupra new shape. Both petrol and diesel variants. If they are in your price bracket then give them a drive.

I'm thinking of swapping the vRS in October when the insurance is up. But because I DO DO loads of miles I'm stuck with a diesel and the only real alternatives that are BETTER and in my price range (IE: Quicker) are the 150 TDis, Ibiza, Leon, Golf. Maybe the 150 Astra. The Mondeo ST TDCi (150) or... controversially I like the Kia Pro_cee'd 130 diesel!!

Honest! They're really good. Surely us SkodaLovers are over badge snobbery?

There's a display model inside the shopping precinct where I work and I see it everyday and it's a really good looking vehicle! Haven't driven it yet tho...

How about a Polo GTi or a Golf GTi?

Or of course the best choice would be a Focus ST :cool::D

I too think the Pro-Ceed looks quite the sleeper, but only being a 3dr it's not suitable for me atm. Oh and they need to add a nice turbo petrol lump to the line up :D

I'm thinking of swapping the vRS in October when the insurance is up. But because I DO DO loads of miles I'm stuck with a diesel and the only real alternatives that are BETTER and in my price range (IE: Quicker) are the 150 TDis, Ibiza, Leon, Golf. Maybe the 150 Astra. The Mondeo ST TDCi (150) or... controversially I like the Kia Pro_cee'd 130 diesel!!

The mondeo is on par with a standard vrs, a mapped one would beat it :thumbup:

Why hasnt nobody said ctr:rofl:

Can get a new clio 197 with no options for £13500 off the internet.

im looking to get a clio 197 in the coming weeks. test drove one on friday. soo much better than the fabia vrs.

and dare i say it, i found it much nicer to sit in, and build quality was more than a match.

not a hint of body roll at all, and the recaros where amazing.

Does it have to be brand new? Depends what you're after, as has been said. All the cars you mentioned in the first post behave very differently from the vRS. Just depends whether that's what you want or not.

If you want to stick along the same lines, I'd have a look at an Ibiza Cupra PD160 personally.

Steve

Had the same dilemma myself having had 2 Fabia vRS back to back ... but have ended up going for Vauxhall Corsa 1.7CDTI ...... with a TUNIT Box on it goes up to 150bhp ... so I am hoping that is matched the vRS on accelaration and economy ! Still got a nice 6 speed box and lots of toys on it ... seems pretty well screwed together (fingers crossed !!!!)

Fiat Grande Punto Sporting Diesel?

indeed, you can get for £11k, with discount, (fabia2 sport is £12k :eek: new, ) remapped, they match a remapped fabia vRS for speed (I've tested this! lol... :P) NCAP5 (which even the new fabia isn't!) 6 airbags, blue & me, ESP, all standard......

and to top it all , mines made it to 38k so far without breaking! lol... :thumbup: