#1 Yella

Yella

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Car:Skoda Octavia 1.8T Elegance

Posted 16 January 2010 - 00:03

For some reason when I start my car the engine coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer in some wavy lines!) comes on every time and then flashes forever. Usually if I give it 2 minutes and restart the engine it's fine. Awesome replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was corroded about 4 months ago. It seems to drive fine. Any ideas?

EDIT - Apologies it's the Octy. Can't get used to being a 2 Skoda family!! The wife still refers to us having 2 cars, a Skoda and a Fabia.

Edited by Yella, 16 January 2010 - 00:05.

#2 Steevie Wonder

Steevie Wonder

Uber Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:29

For some reason when I start my car the engine coolant light (the one that looks like a thermometer in some wavy lines!) comes on every time and then flashes forever. Usually if I give it 2 minutes and restart the engine it's fine. Awesome replaced the coolant temperature sensor because it was corroded about 4 months ago. It seems to drive fine. Any ideas?

EDIT - Apologies it's the Octy. Can't get used to being a 2 Skoda family!! The wife still refers to us having 2 cars, a Skoda and a Fabia.

Check the header tank, the sensor in that goes after a while, also if the coolant level is low it can cause it to react like your describing.

Steve

#3 David 8

David 8

Traitor ...

• Administrators
  • 13,528 posts
  • Car:Mk1 Octavia vRS ...going...going.. gone !!

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:19

Give the prongs in the bottle a scrape with something, if that doesn't work replace the bottle, only about a tenner for a new one, five minutes too fit.

HTH

#4 allytech

allytech

www.unit18.co.uk

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Car:Citigo, Track 200SX, VAN

Posted 20 January 2010 - 21:53

You ll need a new header tank, no great drama, they are around the £30 mark from memory and take about 5 mins to fit Posted Image

#5 AwesomeSarah

AwesomeSarah

Moved to new job

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,321 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:39

You ll need a new header tank, no great drama, they are around the £30 mark from memory and take about 5 mins to fit Posted Image

Hi
Yes did my fella`s one on his Octy last year
Only took a few mins to do , and we lost no coolant eiither

IIRC 1Jo 121 403B is the part number and cost £10 ish for the part

Not a big job , and stops the noise and lights for good
Sarah

#6 KenONeill

KenONeill

Not the Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:48

2 minutes!? Mine only does it sometimes, if it's cold enough to trip the MFD to ambient temp mode, and will go away if I run the engine for 30s, stop the engine and switch right off, then restart.

#7 Yella

Yella

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Car:Skoda Octavia 1.8T Elegance

Posted 21 January 2010 - 14:16

2 minutes!? Mine only does it sometimes, if it's cold enough to trip the MFD to ambient temp mode, and will go away if I run the engine for 30s, stop the engine and switch right off, then restart.

Well maybe not 2 minutes then? But if I start the engine and it lights up then I immediately turn it off and restart, it usually comes back on again. What I tend to do is drive to the end of the estate and then restart the engine.

Cheers for the replies though guys. It's got it's 100k service very soon so I'll leave it until then unless you think it needs remedying sooner. 98200 and counting now!!

#8 KenONeill

KenONeill

Not the Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 14:20

Mine's been doing it over a year now, and hasn't got annoying enough for the prong scraping trick!

#9 ap0gee1978

ap0gee1978

Now with added vintage.

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 14:21

Similar to the faulty oil pressure sensor I had done on my wife's car recently, the only risk you run by ignoring the light is if you really DO have a problem! Short of checking under the bonnet every time you get in, you're probably alright carrying on like you have, stopping and restarting the car after you've driven a short distance. :)

#10 KenONeill

KenONeill

Not the Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 14:29

An interesting perspective; If you can tell me how the engine can overheat within 20s of being fired up after standing overnight, I'll conceed you have a point about the coolant sensor.

#11 ap0gee1978

ap0gee1978

Now with added vintage.

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:05

Well, my wife's did a handful of short runs sans liquide de refroidissement last winter after I messed up fitting a new thermostat. No lasting damage has become apparent in the meantime...

#12 KenONeill

KenONeill

Not the Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:48

Ah, I was under the impression it was a temperature sensor, not a level sensor.

#13 ap0gee1978

ap0gee1978

Now with added vintage.

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,481 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 15:54

Ah, I was under the impression it was a temperature sensor, not a level sensor.

Such is the way with multi-purpose warning lights! 'Coolant' covers temperature and level; 'Oil' covers pressure and level; 'EPC' / 'glowplug' covers most of the rest of the sensors. Any wonder I have a code reader in the car, and a copy of VAG-COM on the laptop?!?!

#14 alex_d9

alex_d9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Car:Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 2003

Posted 02 October 2012 - 19:24

Hi, i am having the same problem but in addition to this the fuel level indicator also doest work while the temp. warning light is on. Has anyone experienced this problem with the fuel level indicator as well while the temperature parning light is flashing?

#15 Petardo

Petardo

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 21:42

Like the other guys said you need a new header tank. The sensor is built into it. Had mine done last year for about 35 quid

#16 robk1

robk1

Uber Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Car:Skoda Fun Pickup & Fabia 1.4mpi

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:12

Hi
Yes did my fella`s one on his Octy last year
Only took a few mins to do , and we lost no coolant eiither

IIRC 1Jo 121 403B is the part number and cost £10 ish for the part

Not a big job , and stops the noise and lights for good
Sarah

Not always for good Sarah. Did our Fab a year or so back & it's just started again :wall:

#17 devonutopia

devonutopia

West Country Moderator! Ooarr

• Super Moderators
  • 46,739 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 21:15

Not always for good Sarah. Did our Fab a year or so back & it's just started again :wall:

and the bottle in mine has been fine in my car since 2001! :D

#18 robk1

robk1

Uber Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • Car:Skoda Fun Pickup & Fabia 1.4mpi

Posted 01 February 2013 - 16:44

and the bottle in mine has been fine in my car since 2001! :D

Lucky old you ;)

#19 TissMe

TissMe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 20:20

Oh yes , it is still going strong now ;)
Sarah

#20 KenONeill

KenONeill

Not the Stig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:16

Oh yes , it is still going strong now ;)
Sarah

Hiya :kiss: :kiss:

Well, I did the prongs on mine Winter 2011/12, and not a flash since.

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users