Footwell Lights

as u can c from the image posted earlier, even at that awkward angle, the front driver footwell is still lit up nicely.

but i prefer something more solid - hence why i'm going to pursue the hard plastic, next to the air vent holes.

i haven't driven the car since enabling it via vcds. but based on the maxidot settings, i believe it will remain on, at 30%, while driving with lights on.

otherwise, they operate like the standard interior lights, including dimming.

i'll eventually need to wire up the passenger side. i had difficult sending the wire across from the driver's side to the passenger side through the back of the centre console, or behind the radio. removing those side carpet cover thingys r the sticky point for me now. they not budging despite my best efforts.

one day........

When I ran some wiring in, I removed the stereo, and used a straightened metal coat-hanger through a gap in the fusebox, straight through into the hole where the stereo sits. From there I ran (by hand) into the glove box.

Can't see that where you want to run the cable from/to being a huge amount different. You'll just take a slightly longer, but easier and quicker (and less swearing) route. ;)

surley if you just tap into the interior light wire they will work that way. no need to mess about with the maxidot.

But they will then only work when the doors are opened and you will not have the option of dimming them or having them on whilst driving at night.

Not to mention running the cable to the interior lights is probably harder than doing the job properly - as factory fitted.

Agreed, but what about having the correct convenience control module installed? Which MY did footwell lights first appear in the Octavia brochure?

I don´t think any Octavia was ever fitted with this.

It´s a copy of other models within the VW group, mainly the Golf

@vwdan1986 - i'm pretty sure its much much easier to connect the footwells OEM style, than it is to cut/splice into the interior lights wiring.

i didn't have to cut/splice/solder any wires. simply plug'n'play.

as i said earlier, its removing the trim that's tricky. but once u know how to remove it, its easy.

@RainbowFire - it was a pain in the a55 trying to get the columbus unit back in after installing my bluetooth unit. the additional quadlock connector made it so frustrating.

i eventually got it - hence my reluctance to remove it to send the wiring for the footwell behind it, and across to behind the glovebox.

i guess if i don't have any luck with the side carpets, i'll have to remove the columbus :(

@RainbowFire - it was a pain in the a55 trying to get the columbus unit back in after installing my bluetooth unit. the additional quadlock connector made it so frustrating.

i eventually got it - hence my reluctance to remove it to send the wiring for the footwell behind it, and across to behind the glovebox.

i guess if i don't have any luck with the side carpets, i'll have to remove the columbus :(

Ah, I see. Could go a slightly different way then: Pop the top touch-box off instead. There's plenty of space to see the coat-hanger come through (enough space for me to get my hand in there to stick my CK7W Bluetooth control unit down), and enough to push the cable down the side of the glove-box to the passenger foot-well. The touch-box comes off easily enough and leaves the Columbus untouched :)

No screws, just a three large, chunky trim-clips. I usually get a blunt instrument and lift the front first:

mfd209.jpg

Once you've got it to this point, just pull it forward and clear of the dash. Disconnect the hazard lights (squeezy connector). Refit is reverse.

What you've got with the box removed is this:

mfd205.jpg

Watching this one with interest, as I've got some OEM footwell lights somewhere!

Good tip about the storage box access, for cabling - additional advice would be to use a trim removal tool to pop the box up. I've seen people damage the soft trim underneath it by using a screwdriver or similar.

@vwdan1986 - i'm pretty sure its much much easier to connect the footwells OEM style, than it is to cut/splice into the interior lights wiring.

i didn't have to cut/splice/solder any wires. simply plug'n'play.

as i said earlier, its removing the trim that's tricky. but once u know how to remove it, its easy.

Ii no what your saying, i think im just getting abit to old to be getting under dash bords and under seats it realy dose my back in,

Edited by vwdan1986

I've just ordered the parts to fit to my 08 pre-FL estate, and have ordered some green W5W bulbs to match the green switch illumination. Hopefully will get this installed at the weekend -- interested to see if it appears in the retrofit maxidot.........

Mike

Lovely job Mike - I'll bring mine up once you've finished yours then! :p

I've just ordered the parts to fit to my 08 pre-FL estate, and have ordered some green W5W bulbs to match the green switch illumination. Hopefully will get this installed at the weekend -- interested to see if it appears in the retrofit maxidot.........

Mike

No-one answered my question earlier on this thread, but if you get this linked in with your maxidot somehow, let us know fella. :)