Who needs a LSD

vRSy

Beautiful little mod this. Highly recommended for better handling. The brakes will do more work, but on the road you won't get anywhere near the OEM brake limits and on track you should be going for at least better pads and a higher grade brake fluid, in which case you should still be okay. Bigger brakes ftw though.

Anyone wanting this done near Sheffield and I'm able to do the VCDS alteration for you for nowt as long as you come to me. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Come on guys, share your impressions with us!

I am tempted to ask my dealer to do that but I think he may reply something like: "OK! We've both heard you saying you want to alter factory settings that can be the cause of every possible damage on the drive-train/brakes, you're busted now!"

"But I was just...."

"Aaah, say no more! everything else can and will be used against you!"

:D

PS. Can someone pinpoint an appopriate VCDS cable/equipment from ebay that would allow me to play with VCDS settings in private? (Come on don't act like a dealer now! You know I'll be careful!)

Have had this done for a while now and I would recommend it.

The XDS setting you can really feel makes things tighter in the corners and makes you a little more confident. I have also noticed less torque steer too. The brake mod isn't as noticeable to me, they feel just as cr4p and weak as before.

The major issue with the brakes is that after a 5 min fast drive they are toast and pedal feels like a sponge. Next mod for me is 312mm upgrade or just some better pads on the current setup.

Have had this done for a while now and I would recommend it.

The XDS setting you can really feel makes things tighter in the corners and makes you a little more confident. I have also noticed less torque steer too. The brake mod isn't as noticeable to me, they feel just as cr4p and weak as before.

The major issue with the brakes is that after a 5 min fast drive they are toast and pedal feels like a sponge. Next mod for me is 312mm upgrade or just some better pads on the current setup.

Are the 312s really that much better than standard ?

I completely agree, the standard brakes seem a little weak under heavy braking from speed.

Is there anyone here who can comment, having done this to their VRS Mk2 ?

Are the 312s really that much better than standard ?

I completely agree, the standard brakes seem a little weak under heavy braking from speed.

Is there anyone here who can comment, having done this to their VRS Mk2 ?

I hope the 312s are much better I think alot of the MK1 owners use them, maybe they could comment. Other than that its Boxster rear callipers.

anyone know if I can get the XDS setting changed at a dealership?

If not, anyone in the North Yorks area willing to help me out? for beer mhoneys of course

Why would they make it adjustable if its bad?

Id just go around the back of the workshop, speak to a technician and offer him a tenner to change it. It'll take him 2 minutes

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel 36 XDS setting 2

Why would they make it adjustable if its bad?

Id just go around the back of the workshop, speak to a technician and offer him a tenner to change it. It'll take him 2 minutes

In VCDS Select Control Module, go to 03 ABS Brakes, then 10 Adaptation, go to Channel 36 XDS setting 2

I just don't believe it's something they would allow you to change if you didn't know about it, I don't know, it's kind of hard to explain.

For example, if you went directly to the dealer and said "I've heard you can change the XDS settings, I'm not sure how to change them though, can you help?" I can almost guarentee the dealer will say "sorry, don't know what you are talking about" even if you provide them with the proper VCDS module codes.

Now, going straight to a technician like you suggested might get you a different answer.

That is unless of course, you have a really decent dealer.

However, you are correct, I don't believe it can do any physical harm with it being a parameter that can be altered easily - hence why I changed mine :)

Edited by Stu vRS

thanks guys, I will see if my dealer is willing to do it, theyve seemed pretty decent.

I agree that if its an internal setting, then surely it should be fine to change it, makes no sense to have it installed and not use it to its full potential.

vRsy, thanks for the Vcds location if they do question if it can be done

• 4 weeks later...

Just did the modding and wanted to ask: Does it actually make the XDS act earlier or harder? And in any case, whenever the XDS acts on the brakes shouldn't the TCS/ESP icon flash as well?

What I mean is If you don't see the ESP icon flashing you wouldn't be able to tell whether it's actually set to 0,1, or 2 isn't that correct? Just took it for a ride but the road conditions didn't allow me to push that hard in order to cause slip while steering so I cannot say I understood the difference. I need to give it another try later tonight probably...

I did this on mine on Friday but I went for 1-1. Now is that actually worse than it was? As when I changed the xds it had 0- centre 1- weak 2- strong, so does that mean I've actually made it weak when it was centre (centre being the centre of the two) or is that just what they call it?

• 1 month later...

Just did the modding and wanted to ask: Does it actually make the XDS act earlier or harder? And in any case, whenever the XDS acts on the brakes shouldn't the TCS/ESP icon flash as well?

What I mean is If you don't see the ESP icon flashing you wouldn't be able to tell whether it's actually set to 0,1, or 2 isn't that correct? Just took it for a ride but the road conditions didn't allow me to push that hard in order to cause slip while steering so I cannot say I understood the difference. I need to give it another try later tonight probably...

Find a quiet roundabout and enter it quicker than you normally would ;)

• 2 years later...