Handbrake Return Springs

Having had to endure an increasing amount of "mooing" from the rear brakes I came across this thread from our Fabia friends :- http://www.briskoda....78#entry1758478.

Decided these springs are worth a try and opted for 1K0 - 615 - 295 / 1K0 - 615 - 296.

The springs came to a total price of £3.86 for both from my friendly Audi Dealership.

Reversed the car up onto ramps and slackened off the handbrake cable (remove rear centre ashtray for access).

The first picture shows the direction the hooked end has to be rotated in for each spring.

The best method I found was to hold the dog-leg end in a vise while pulling the hooked end round, then using a ty-wrap to hold it in its almost operating position (scary moment).

Got under the car then pushed the dog-leg end into the slot (in the moving plate that locates the h/brake cable), so the end locates in that very small hole in the moving plate (see picture of passenger side fitting), you might have to bend the end a bit to get it to line up.

Then after much swearing and leavering with bits of wood etc finally got the hooked end in the slot in the stationary plate, pushed it home, then with a bit of wood pushed the spring towards front of car, the hook then located on the plate thickness, then very carefully cut the ty-wrap.

Tightened up the handbrake again, it did feel a bit more firmer when you pulled it up and took it for a drive. No more mooing!!!!!!!!, I like the idea that you know the handbrake is fully released with no risk of sticking partly on.

NB: Quite a few Audi models use these return springs A3, S3, TT etc

Springsintheirfreestate.jpg

Springfitted.jpg

• Like 2

you will find the alhambra springs a better match for the caliper - these can be a bit of overkill in terms of spring strength

mine appear to have reduced my handbrake binding issues - still not clear if they are totally resolved yet

also you springs have not seated correctly on the non moving part - the bit of the spring that doubles over on itself goes in the small groove at the end of the slot

p.s. this won't fully stop the mooing - it'll just reduce the brake drag and initial moo on reversing, if you apply the brake it'll still moo

you will find the alhambra springs a better match for the caliper - these can be a bit of overkill in terms of spring strength

mine appear to have reduced my handbrake binding issues - still not clear if they are totally resolved yet

also you springs have not seated correctly on the non moving part - the bit of the spring that doubles over on itself goes in the small groove at the end of the slot

p.s. this won't fully stop the mooing - it'll just reduce the brake drag and initial moo on reversing, if you apply the brake it'll still moo

Ok thanks, I went for a fast drive, braking fairly hard a few times, got back to the house touched both rear discs and they felt the same temperature, only very very slightly warm.

So far no noises on reversing or going fowards slowly so keeping fingers crossed.

Has anyone stripped a rear cylinder down internally??. Im curious as to its internal workings. Its the indexing mechanism Im really interested in, any pics or diagram would be appreciated.

• 8 months later...

Great Post! I have just bought a set or sharan springs which are the same - part nos.W7HO 615 295/296 from my local VW Dealer.

£5.02????

The price differences between dealers for the same product never ceases to amaze me.

Better than paying another £100 for the Skoda Official mod - if it works.

Update:

Since first posting and thinking this had solved the mooing, wrongggggg!!!!.

Through the year it gradually returned, such that even going slowly forwards (in slow moving traffic) I get the occasional "moo", it stops as the car speeds up. Just have got used to it now it isnt as loud as it used to be tho'.

However on the plus side, the handbrake cable yoke (under the ashtray) still pulls up with even tension on both cables and the pads are wearing evenly.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 years ago my mk4 gti golf needed 2 new calipers for mot cos of the handbrake. Fitted the sharan springs and adjusted up cable. Hey presto car has passed the mot now twice :) car is my rough work car so il never spend the money on it for new calipers

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get the hook end in the hole, so I just maneuvered it around to rest on the rubber bung. Works OK, loads of tension in the spring, couldn't manage it by hand, so used the nylon string to pull it around after I'd slotted the straighter bit into the other slot

• Like 1

The straight end goes in first through the top hole then you bend the hook end round and slot it in the gap and push forward. You may have to give the hook some force to sit fully in its place, I couldn't get the first end to fully protrude out if the first hole but that doesn't seem to have effected it and it hasn't popped out!

• Like 1