Check oil level @ 465 miles !

Was carrying out the 600 mile oil consumption test as requested by the dealer ( covered 5800miles so far) , made it to 465.2 miles before the dreaded "check oil level" message ! Hats off to skoda assist getting me recovered back to the dealer at 10pm ! Safe to say I'm not being too fussy ? Was under the impression the dealer thought I was being a little fussy ! Anyone else's vrs as thirsty as this ?

Skoda need to sort your car out pronto. Nobody should have to put up with this kind of crap after forking out so much of their hard earned :wonder:

Hope you get it sorted in the end mate and good on you for being so patient and upbeat about it. I'd be spitting flames :devil:

Skoda need to sort your car out pronto. Nobody should have to put up with this kind of crap after forking out so much of their hard earned :wonder:

Hope you get it sorted in the end mate and good on you for being so patient and upbeat about it. I'd be spitting flames :devil:

Problem is they don't know how to fixed its.

Prob had about 8 !

Is this Turners at Erlestoke? I'd be interested to hear your opinion on them when resolving this issue. Use to be my local dealer.

That's a lot of oil to be consumed in such short mileage.

Is this Turners at Erlestoke? I'd be interested to hear your opinion on them when resolving this issue. Use to be my local dealer.

That's a lot of oil to be consumed in such short mileage.

Yes Turners, will keep the post updated

Hi, don't normally post in this section but blimey in your case. Both our cars, with a combined age of 23 yrs, use virtually no oil between changes. Accept fact we don't run vrs's but your local guys certainly need to sort. Good luck with that.

Was carrying out the 600 mile oil consumption test as requested by the dealer ( covered 5800miles so far) , made it to 465.2 miles before the dreaded "check oil level" message ! Hats off to skoda assist getting me recovered back to the dealer at 10pm ! Safe to say I'm not being too fussy ? Was under the impression the dealer thought I was being a little fussy ! Anyone else's vrs as thirsty as this ?

Any update?

I would be very interested if someone was prepred to take a picture of their vRS's dipstick, showing exactly to which point/mark

on the crosshatch their dealerships workshop tops the oil up to.

I would if i had a camera available,

& my car stopped using any oil at 7000 miles.

The workshop had twice overfilled the oil before i did an oil change myself and then the top ups.

(i told them it was overfilled and they said not)

george

I would be very interested if someone was prepred to take a picture of their vRS's dipstick, showing exactly to which point/mark

The workshop had twice overfilled the oil before i did an oil change myself and then the top ups.

george

I have noticed this too. When I bought my car the oil was well over the dipstick after delivery from the factory and after my recent trip to the dealers for its 10000 I found the same.I've been told these chain cam engines are far better kept brimming over than half full. In the manual it says you shouldn't even let the dipstick go down to half way if you regularly do motorway miles.

That said if I was tracking the car I think I'd take some out as I wouldn't want to blow oil seals.

Edited by RobL

luckily my car hasn't used to much. It's done about 4200 miles now I think, and the dipstick was at the half way mark when I topped it up for the first time earlier today. (don't worry, this isn't the first time I've checked it). Going to check it every 600miles now, see how much it uses, as admittedly I hadn't been checking it as much as I should have, and will keep it topped up. Strange how some use loads, and others not so much.

george

When are you checking the oil? is it hot? when i took mine to the dealer they topped up when the oil was around 80degC and the car had been turned off for around 10 mins to let it settle. if you check when the oil is cold then it looks incorrect on the dipstick (cant remember if it looks more or less cold)

oh and it was to the very top of the hatched area

Edited by adam1985

Did you not have some spare in the boot? when I spoke to my dealer he said when you carry out the oil test to always carry a litre so that you can top it up when the fuel light comes on and to record the mileage?!

Look in the Fabia owners manual, page 167

IMO it is one of the worst written i have read.

Surprised it does not say 'DO NOT CHECK WHEN COLD' or 'if checking when cold'

or

OR MOST IMPORTANTLY 'ONLY check when warm',

or even provide a decent Dip Stick and a decent diagram of that dipstick.

The difference between A . B .C is not a huge amount of oil and it is easy to overfill if not paying attention and dipping several times during the top up.

**The book says.**

Check engine oil level.

'The dipstick indicates the level of oil in the engine'.

(then there is the daft diagram showing the A,B,C in Fig.141 Dipstick)

'Check the oil level'

-Ensure that the vehicle is positioned on a level surface.

-Switch the engine off

-Open the bonnet -> * in "Working in the engine etc etc

-Wait a few minutes and pull out the Dipstick -> *

-Wipe off the dipstick with a clean cloth and insert it again fully

-Then withdraw the dipstick again and read off the oil level

OIL level within range 'A'

-you must NOT top up with oil

OIL level within range 'B'

-you MAY top up the oil. It is possible that the oil may then be within range 'A' after doing this

OIL level within 'C'

-You must top up the oil. It is ideal, once this is done, to keep the oil range within range 'B'

I understand what to do to check oil levels cold or warm,

But as far as i am concerned something is lost in translation in the Owners Manual.

"you must not top up" thats clear.

"You may top up" OK even stupid people might know what that means.

Should it not say

, ' It needs topped up and then you 'may' have the correct level',

(If you take the choice not to top up, you better be ready to check again pretty regularly i would have thought.)

" You MUST top up the oil" "it is ideal once this is done"

IDEAL, thats Eastern European use of 'Ideal' possibly.

That must mean it will be correct once this is done!

Lots of people just dont 'RTFM' (read the ****** manual)

or put on there glasses and look close enough at the dipstick , obviously JMO.

george

Edited by sk4gw

PS

How many workshops, drain and change the filter,

put on a new washer or not when replacing the drain plug.

Fill with new oil, dip it, top up again, maybe run it & stop and check.

That will not be an 80 degree celcius oil level check.

I watched a Kwik flick fitter, put a car on the ramp,

1. take out the drain plug,

2. then jump up on the ramp, to open the bonnet, could not find the catch, on passenger side,

get bonnet open,

3. take off filler cap,

jump down, search for new washer , not find one,

4.stick back in drain plug.

4 a ( put on a new washer) NOT

4 b ( change the oil filter for a new one) NOT

5. drop ramp,

Filled with oil.

Then he wiped the oil filter clean, dipped the oil.

Came back in the waiting room & said to the customer his car was ready.

The customer said, 'everything checked, filter done ?'.

(Points 4 a & 4 b were not done as were no other checks around the car, we were both there to watch)

The guy said 'yes all done'.

Then the customer just floored him with a punch and went and took his car off the ramp.

NO payment was made and no complaint made to the police.

He knew that was what was going to happen & why he booked his car in for a Winter Check & oil and filter change,

his niece had booked her in the week before & they checked nothing and charged her for a filter & semi Synthetic & sent her away with an unsafe car.

Love Mechanics & fitters that like cars, hate conmen and Technicians that take the pithh.

george

Edited by sk4gw

PS

How many workshops, drain and change the filter,

put on a new washer or not when replacing the drain plug.

Fill with new oil, dip it, top up again, maybe run it & stop and check.

That will not be an 80 degree celcius oil level check.

I watched a Kwik flick fitter, put a car on the ramp,

1. take out the drain plug,

2. then jump up on the ramp, to open the bonnet, could not find the catch, on passenger side,

get bonnet open,

3. take off filler cap,

jump down, search for new washer , not find one,

4.stick back in drain plug.

4 a ( put on a new washer) NOT

4 b ( change the oil filter for a new one) NOT

5. drop ramp,

Filled with oil.

Then he wiped the oil filter clean, dipped the oil.

Came back in the waiting room & said to the customer his car was ready.

The customer said, 'everything checked, filter done ?'.

(Points 4 a & 4 b were not done as were no other checks around the car, we were both there to watch)

The guy said 'yes all done'.

Then the customer just floored him with a punch and went and took his car off the ramp.

NO payment was made and no complaint made to the police.

He knew that was what was going to happen & why he booked his car in for a Winter Check & oil and filter change,

his niece had booked her in the week before & they checked nothing and charged her for a filter & semi Synthetic & sent her away with an unsafe car.

Love Mechanics & fitters that like cars, hate conmen and Technicians that take the pithh.

george

Now that's the way too do it!, so everyone stay away from kwikfit !

Any update?

Got the car back today, oil topped up (correctly) have to monitor the oil usage and wait for skoda to contact me. Have told the dealer an engine and a catalytic converter would be nice, as I'm not too happy with what possible damage has been done. Will update as soon as I get any news.

Executive from skoda rang today, he's now taking over. He's going to have a chat with the dealer to see whats what. Wanted to know how he could resolve this ( he was speaking to the misses ) she told him she'd lost confidence gave him a lengthy chat about the oil burning issue (she's in the motor trade) and a few other issues, and a replacement car would sort it ! He's going to ring tomorrow with what he's going to do.