power steering adjustment

Do we know where the 1.4 TSI vRS is set to as standard and how we can make it heavier - less assisted?

In stock form it's not very light to be honest but a little more weight wouldn't harm for my taste. I suspect it should be located at:

44 - Steering Assist

Recode - 07

but the values I've found so far concern the Fabia I and are somewhat contraddicting. On one forum I saw it goes from 1 to 5 with 5 being the heavier, but on a sticky on the Diagnostics section, I saw:

Soft coding = 011x0 or 012x0

Replace x with a number from 1 – 9

2 = GTI

3 = Comfort

6 = Handicapped (very light)

which shows the exact opposite thing: 1 (heavier), 9 (lighter)

So which are the correct values for the Fabia II vRS?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Surely, if you can access it, test one way and then the other... Just a process of elimination

Tbh, I don't feel comfortable messing around with different values in VCDS. So anybody with the correct ones would be much appreciated!

• xxx??
  • 10 = normal (heavy cars)
  • 20 = Polo 9N GTI (6R GTI is 21)
  • 30 = Komfort (heavy cars)
  • 40 = normal (light cars)
  • 41 = F² 5J RS
  • 50 = Komfort (light cars)
  • 51 = Audi 8X A1
  • 60 = Mobility help

Cool.... And what about the first 3 digits which always stay the same? Is it 011xx or 012xx ?

Also, does this scale go from "heavier" to "lighter" or they are all different values with no relation between them? I ask because it looks as the audi a1 has a very light steering wheel.

PS. Maybe posting a link from the german forum?

Edited by newbie69

Normal Fabia will be nearer 50 I would imagine if the vRS is 41...

I will let you know how I get on at the dealers adjusting this.

• 4 months later...

Well well, was just out to try changing the power steering for the first time. Thought I'd go for Setting "20" - Polo GTi 9N (The old one) and.... that was a heavy wheel.

Yes it requires more effort when at low speeds (below 60 kmh) which I suppose may annoy at city use but it's so nice and re-assuring when going faster. Previously I had felt a slight "play" when going around 150-160 KM/H, now the car feels clearly a lot more firm and stable with no sign at all of any "jiggle"/"play" (not sure its the right word) when doing highway speeds. Really a great difference although I will have to check how practical this will be for everyday use.

Ideally you should be able to change this from a button because taking out the laptop every other day isn't very easy. Similarly to some expensive BMW or Porsche which can alter suspension, map and st.wheel settings when selecting "Sport" mode but maybe I'm asking a lot!

There is of course setting 21 (Ibiza 6J) which could stand somewhere inbetween 20 and 41 (mark II vRS and latest Polo GTI are set on the same setting as stock) but I'll test that tomorrow.

All in all, a must-do for everyone who looks for increased weight/firmness from the stock wheel I'd say.

• Like 1

Well, you don't need an expensive BMW to be able to change this on the run - cheap Fiats have this option - you just need push a button and voila - the steering is in "city" mode :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, you don't need an expensive BMW to be able to change this on the run - cheap Fiats have this option - you just need push a button and voila - the steering is in "city" mode :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lol, yes there is a City button in the Panda, which is totally useless as there is absolutely no resistance in the steering wheel if you press it but I was referring to the systems which change other things as well!

• 6 months later...

I found the simplest, albeit not the best or cheapest method of changing the resistance f the steering is to do loads of trackdays then wait for your rack to break lol. No power steering = STIFF steering, unless turning left that is as thats got no resistance at all.

What is the verdict on this? I am looking to increase the weight on my wifes Mk2 VRS. What values are people using? Can some one provide some screen shots?

I am always at setting 20 and I don't see myself changing it. As for screenshots it's all through vcds so you can't go wrong If you follow the instructions. PM me if you need more help as it's been some time now and I don't remember the process by heart.

Interesting! Do these adjustments violate the warranty?

I don't suspect they would, but they can always be switched back to stock, a 2 min. job.

-snip-

I don't suspect they would, but they can always be switched back to stock, a 2 min. job.

Okay - thanks :-) .

Edited by Kent (DK)

• 11 months later...

I asked my Skoda garage to make the steering heavier at my 20k service. They said they'd investigate and told me that the current setting was the heaviest they were allowed to set...and helpfully added that they could make it lighter though.

Just to dig this up, attempted to code on my VCDS today. It accepted the code but didn't change it?

Any ideas?

There are some VCDS experts in the Diagnostics section so you would be better describing the issue there I guess. I just followed what is described here and it worked instantly. Don't know how experienced you are with VCDS etc. but if (a wild guess I'm sure) you're not using an original Ross-Tech cable then that could be the issue as with imitations, there are specific versions which work and which don't I think.