No more boxy Yeti come Yeti II

Yes I know this particular Yeti II image has been floating around for some time but there is now an artist impression of the SEAT version that also has this Qashqui sloped rear and oh so boring rear window line ALL crossovers have.  Argh...  What a way to make something mainstream and boring eh? This SEAT version will share most of its bits and be built in the same factory as the Yeti. 

This is the artist's impression of the SEAT version:

Kompakt-SUV-von-Seat-Illustration-1200x8

This is the artist's impression of the the Škoda version:

Skoda-Snowman-Illustration-1200x800-12e2

It really saddens me to see the Yeti might become such a sad clone of everything else...............    :doh:  :'(

And this is a very bad artist's impression of the Škoda version of the Juke sized VW Taigun (they just added an FL Yeti face to it):

Skoda-Yeti-Illustration-1200x800-37f9ab7

From (in German):  http://www.autobild.de/artikel/suv-von-seat-und-skoda-5058060.html

I struggle with these AutoExpress and sister magazine photoshops/exclusive images.

Because they just do a eneric body often copied from another car and graft the new face on.

• Like 1

I struggle with these AutoExpress and sister magazine photoshops/exclusive images.

Because they just do a eneric body often copied from another car and graft the new face on.

They do Richard, but what you don't realise is that long before a new car is launched the car manufacturers have shown the real thing to some trusted journalists to get their opinion. These journalist are set free to describe what they have seen to their artists back in the office (they do not get a press pack and are not allowed to take photos of course) and then these slightly twisted designs on these images do see the light of day. It's a clever way of slowly getting people used to something. Even if these images are only 80% correct in some of the details (and they used another car as a basis for the images to save money and time) BUT some details like the awful QQ-like rounded tail and windows are correct, the seed has been planted and buyers are less shocked when the real deal does come out. All clever marketing. So ignore the Auto Express artist impressions at your own peril. 

• Like 4

Problem is, they've already started the cloning with the FL Rapid, erm, I mean Octavia... Sorry, Yeti! ;) The new mqb platform is going to do wonders for the Yeti mk2 (even though this is the bigger Skoda SUV) however with all its tech and lighter, more agile drive. The current vag group 150 tdi engine seems to trump the old 170ps unit on a few fronts and after driving so many of the mqb cars now the older generation of Yeti etc does feel a little dated tbh. I also quite like the Seat version - it is rather Kia 'ish though as has been said.

Not the shape for me I'm afraid - it's why I didn't seriously consider the Quashqai, the iX35 etc. before I bought my classic Yeti. If that is the shape in 2018 when mine is five years old then I'm afraid it will be an easy choice to look elsewhere. .

• Like 1

Top one looks like it is the size of the 'Snowmonster' i.e. the next size up SUV that Skoda are looking to release very shortly.

That looks like a badly photo shopped Kia Sportage.

What ever it is it's not a practical as the current monster by the looks of the rear profile and certainly wouldn't tempt me back from the Yetavia.

One of the best bits the square back and as I've found with the Octy and as would be the same with the Yeti FL the painted and scratch-able rear bumper means I've lost my seat for changing in and out of my walking boots :giggle:

TP

.....I've lost my seat for changing in and out of my walking boots :giggle:...

A very good point, TP, and one that the Škoda Design Department would be well advised not to overlook :wonder:

It would be a shame if the Yeti became a generic white goods suv. Its difference is its usp. I've a Yeti on order to replace the Roomster, my wife wanted a Qashqai. On the motorway last week I had her spotting QQ's as we passed them, it appears every small/medium suv is a QQ, but she was always right on the Yeti's and Roomsters. THAT'S why I ordered a Yeti.

It would be a shame if the Yeti became a generic white goods suv. Its difference is its usp. 

Well yes but surely what matters to Skoda is whether they might sell more of a new design than the existing one. I think a lot of customers are put off buying a Yeti because it looks too much like a van - so many people are style conscious, like it or not. So they might alienate a proportion of their current customers (though where else would those people look for an alternative?), but win a larger number of new customers. That presumably is their calculation.

Yes, I know it's only an early artist's impression and very possible not the Yeti II, but just taking the image at face value it doesn't strike me as too bad an attempt at a Yeti-type rethink. The proportions do look rather better than many of its competitors and arguably it might be the more successful styling of its type. As to practicality, the all-important factor is going to be stowage space. If Yeti II were to be 100-200mm longer (unlikely perhaps in view of the Snowman but if...) or if the MQB base allowed  better rear packaging then there might be at least the same rear stowage volume as the current Yeti.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

And, on the general theme of SUV design, anyone think that the Yeti might have influenced a detail of the rumoured new Discovery Vision design. See:

http://goo.gl/uvmjHT

In this case though, the roof floats on the C pillar rather than the B pillar.

Possibly had one of those or something like it covered all over in masking digital block camo, follow us for a few miles of country road near Warwick last week.

Big bruiser of a L/R and it dwarfed our little Monte.

TP

And I see today that the version of the Discovery that's scheduled to be the Freelander replacement is apparently to be called Discovery Sport. Autocar says: 'The Discovery Sport will launch first as a five-seater, and is set to be revealed before the year is out ahead of sales at the turn of the year. ' Be interesting to see just how big/small it will be. Unless they're planning to miss out on the compact SUV sector altogether, it presumably can't be too much bigger than the present Freelander.

And I see today that the version of the Discovery that's scheduled to be the Freelander replacement is apparently to be called Discovery Sport. Autocar says: 'The Discovery Sport will launch first as a five-seater, and is set to be revealed before the year is out ahead of sales at the turn of the year. ' Be interesting to see just how big/small it will be. Unless they're planning to miss out on the compact SUV sector altogether, it presumably can't be too much bigger than the present Freelander.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-york-motor-show/discovery-sport-name-land-rover-freelander-replacement

I can't imagine it will be much bigger than the current Freelander. I'm not sure if it will just be a five seat version of this new Disco either. I think that will make it MUCH larger than the current Freelander. So hopefully it will be smaller in more ways to the full fat Disco than just in seating numbers.

land-rover-concept-vision--2014-new-york

I agree with Prodata on having a wee bit extra length on Yeti II. If they made it 10 cm longer it would only be just over 4.3 metres and still a fair bit smaller than Snowman. Together with the flexibility possible with the MQB platform I think they could make the boot a more useful size depth-wise without compromising passenger space.

I do agree that the vertical rear door is very useful and I would want them to retain that trademark look in Yeti II. Losing the 'van' shape would be a more heinous crime that losing the big round fog lights!

• Like 3

It seems a shame that so many car manufacturers place style over practicality these days - e.g. estates that don't have flat folding rear seats, and suv's with little useable space for carrying anything other than squishy bags!

I won't be at all surprised if Yeti 2 looks pretty much like the picture that Johann has posted.  In a thread that probably died years ago I posted that Skoda were getting feedback from those who didn't buy that it was too van like and that the boot is too small.  The mark 2 isn't van like and there is scope to give more usable boot space as many people don't want to load above the window line.  Also, the reason that all the others look like they do is that not having the aerodynamics of a brick gives better fuel consumption.

There is always resistance when a car is changed - just look at the round fog lights hoo-ha.  It also usually quickly dies down - again look at the round fog lights :giggle:  If Yeti 2 represents the same value for money as Yeti 1, does everything at least as well as Yeti 1, and has better fuel consumption and more usable boot space I'd buy one whatever it looks like.

I won't buy a car that doesn't look right. The Original Yeti looks right, The FL outdoor is reasonable but not as good in my opinion, as I like the old fog/driving lights which are n ow gone, but I just don't want one of these rounded off and sloping back cars like above, it just ruins the look and reduces the interior space. However needs must and a new FL outdoor is on order, as it still seems the best bet amongst all the other makes out there. They have a very competitive lease cost as a company car due to the very high resale value.

Eg we had an original X reg fabia for 6 years nad when it came time to replace it went with a second hand of the older style rather than the later model which just looks weird to me with its straight roofline along the tops of the doors etc.

If Yeti 2 represents the same value for money as Yeti 1, does everything at least as well as Yeti 1, and has better fuel consumption and more usable boot space I'd buy one whatever it looks like.

Sadly if you look at the latest Octavia prices there is not a snowball's hope in hell that the Yeti II will cost the same or be as value for money as the original Yeti. Nope. Prices will go up at least a grand or two sadly (I predict now). Because you see, they have to make space below Yeti II for the new Juke sized Yeti based on the diminutive VW Taigun. So expect a 181hp DSG L&K Yeti II to cost around £33,000 basic and £36,000 with the right options.

So expect a 181hp DSG L&K Yeti II to cost around £33,000 basic and £36,000 with the right options.

But that's £5-6K more than at present, not just 'a grand or two'. Unless you're also allowing for price inflation of eg 10% between now and a couple of years' time, which is not implausible. But then that's not an apples and apples comparison any more.

But that's £5-6K more than at present, not just 'a grand or two'. Unless you're also allowing for price inflation of eg 10% between now and a couple of years' time, which is not implausible. But then that's not an apples and apples comparison any more.

Have a look at 2010 Octavia Scout prices and have a look at them now. You'll be surprised. I have very little doubt Yeti II will go the same way. Especially since there will be a baby Yeti to slot in below on the pricing ladder.