oil consumption test

No, no, no, you are doing it all wrong. You need to follow the advice of our local expert vxh26, just use the dipstick! 

Please kindly overlook the fact that that memebr doesn't own vRS. never had, never did an oil change himself, still brimming with helpful advice!

@ George, for the weight of 1 ltr of oil, is it always as near damn it 857grams?

reason i ask is my test results say i started with 2528g and finished with 2105g which if your 857 is correct then i finished with 2.45 ltrs of oil in my car with no engine light on

unfortunately they haven't given me the weight per litre, only the start and end weights with a consumption figure of 0.49 per 1000km

Yes it is as near to 857 grams.   so 3.6 x = 3085.2 grams,

but all oil does not come out when drain,  which is why the Test Involves the Drained weight before the test & after.

Oil removed, weighed, put back in the engine, miles covered, oil drained again and weighed.

(some will still be in the engine possibly, which is why the first drain and second drain should be done in the same conditions, hot oil, same period of time after 

stopping the car.)

If you have a Litre of Oil in a Bottle, weigh that, it is not 1000 Grams.

Weigh a container Empty, weigh it with the litre in and you know for sure a litre is 857 grams.

Re Oil Warning Light or Message, Members have been low by 1.5 - 2 litres from 3.6 litres and had no Warning Light or Message on low oil.

PS

Ask the Dealership or Skoda to show you where using over 0.5 litres in 621 miles is a fail and says your engine is needing replaced or repaired

& just under 0.5 litres while being driven perfectly normally, means it is OK and not suffering the same faults as many of 

the 1.4 TSI Twincharger CAVE Engines that they produced from 2009- 2012, and that they know are failing and have been replacing since 2009 until now.

Oil Consumption tests are not accurate and not fit for purpose, too inaccurate.

Real life miles covered and the Oil Used over the owners use is the way to know how much oil gets used,

then a proper examination of the Engines & the Component Failure by the Manufacturer confirms what the Engine Manufacturer 

Volkswagen already know.

They built engines with Poor Design, Manufacturing, Quality Control of Components and Engine Management Failures.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right here we go! Car has had all its up dates! Ecu and gearbox and a new breather pipes for oil consumption! Ive done 610 miles since the above they also topped up ma oil. And guess what 1litre of oil uesed after only 610miles! Not gd! The car has to go bk to skoda for further tests!

• Like 1

So this is an improvement of the revised and improved previous one that had any long term effect on a very few vehicles.

Please ask when you are in if it is unique offer to Australian Skoda Fabia vRS Owners cars, that are using too much oil.

It maybe only functions where cars are in the Southern hemisphere.

Based on the science that had fluid go down Plug holes differently in the Northern and Southern hemisphere.

• Like 1

So the service was performed today. Apparently one of the back wheels had a slight buckle in it, so they didn't rotate it to the front as "you would feel it". Apart from that, all OK.

The second breather wasn't in stock, but they are ordering it in. The "service advisor" showed me the part number in his TPI booklet. As far as I can tell, it involves replacing the throttle body hose with a different version that moves the small pipe (the one in the throttle body hose that's just under the engine cover) closer to the airbox. Not sure what else changes, and why moving it further away from the throttle body will do anything, but that seems to be the extent of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the breather mod fitted in mine only recently but still shes drinking oil, admitedly not as bad but that says nothing when she draining 2.9 litres to 1000 miles. I'll get another consumption done and see where I end up. I get a feeling i'll be fighting skoda for another few months to come!

Yep mines got worse with the breather and ecu update. Putting that amount of oil in is not acceptable.Nearly 3 litres in 1000 miles is shockin. I was a litre in 610miles and i said enough is enough. Every 2 tanks of 99 ron then add 1 litre of castol to the engine is not gd enough. With the amount of oil we top up in these engines there should b no need to give them a oil service! I have driven lots of faster cars in the past and never have i had to add oil like this! And these r suposed to be modern engines! Feels like a step backwards!

• 3 weeks later...

Enginr installation was gd the lamda sensor breakin not so gd! Replace that. Still not workin! Replaced the cable. Still not workin! Replacing the relay switch! Just waitin on the results! Am chokin to get ma wee vrs bk!

Is it Ingram Skoda Ayr that have fitted the new engine ?

What is their issue,

no Master Tech Available familiar with the procedures?

I hope they have not cooked the ECU,

but modern Courier services can have parts reach the West Coast of Scotland in 48 Hours, even from Germany.

Maybe Skoda UK can send along someone competent to complete the work and get the car back on the road.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi