Columbus Sat/Nav Constantly Telling of Route Problems

ddyer79

My new Yeti is my third Skoda with the Columbus Satnav, but this unit, once route guidance is used, tells me every 15 seconds that there is trouble ahead and is re-routing.

It seems to think there is traffic ahead (and there isn't, although traffic is shown on the display) and it is constantly trying to re-route me.

Tried changing the TMC stations used from ALL to a specific channel to no avail.

Any ideas ?

My thinking is that it's the estimated arrival time (ETA) that changes due to traffic reports, rather than the route itself.

This is where the mute facility comes in handy by pressing the steering wheel volume control as soon as she starts to speak....

My thinking is that it's the estimated arrival time (ETA) that changes due to traffic reports, rather than the route itself.

This is where the mute facility comes in handy by pressing the steering wheel volume control as soon as she starts to speak....

It was definitely changing the route and then bringing me back to the best route. 

After the second time I just ignored it, there was no traffic yet every 15 seconds it wanted me to change route again.

Have you tried switching off the dynamic route setting so that once it sets up the routes , it should then keep the route set. ?

I'll give it a try ....... thanks

Bugging me this - tried many things - to no avail. 

When VCDS coding speed readout, instrument sweep and fuel gauge correction today noticed two faults

1) SAT/NAV GPS short to ground issue

2) Telephone - left and right short to ground issue

Looks like I might have uncovered what the issue may be ... a call to the dealer in order

Edited by ddyer79

We had similar problems yesterday driving 240 miles from near Bournemouth to North lincs.

Once we got near Oxford It alerted us every minute or so about congestion ahead ,a route change,but to maintain present route for a long time.

It became so irritating we switched the Nav off in the end.

We tried everything  to stop it with no success ( I didn't think of pressing the radio volume knob though.)

It was slowly driving me . :@

Reading the instructions on my Amundsen+, it seems that TP & TMC reports for route guidance can be switched off,

maybe your Columbus has that in the setup settings section.

It's great having all these bells & whistles but,

I still prefer using my TomTom as my Amundsen+ often shows me in the middle of fields when on motorways in France. 

I don't know why anyone bothers with sat-navs. More trouble than they're worth. I wouldn't have one given me.

Now, there speaks a dedicated map-and-compass man - I wish you well in an increasingly technology-reliant world!  For myself, sat-navs will never completely replace the traditional tools but they have their uses as well as limitations.  I like to look at a map to understand the spacial relationship between the M5 and the M4 (for example) but I do appreciate on-the-spot help from Garmin in threading me through the web of lanes at J20 from M5 Northbound to M4 Eastbound :whew:

• Like 2

Oh dear.

Not noticed anything wrong lately.

And you've reminded me my unit needs to do a map update.

I think you are still off work Graham so you should be all right! Just allow plenty of time and don't try to do anything else on broadband at the same time.

Fred

I have had the Columbus unit in my two previous Skoda Superbs and they were faultless, which is why I know there is something wrong with this one.

The dynamic re-routing is the most useful feature and rely upon it a lot.  I use it for every journey that involves key A roads and Motorways.

The hassle of fitting the Tom-tom or Garmin to the screen, and connecting the sensor for traffic monitoring for each journey would drive me nuts.

Each to their own, but for me a working Columbus unit hits the spot nicely.

I don't know why anyone bothers with sat-navs. More trouble than they're worth. I wouldn't have one given me.

Luddite. :)   :x

I love maps and can sit and read an OS map for hours, but that isn't much use when I'm trying to find the way to a caravan site I've never been to before, or driving through a foreign city, especially with a wife who cannot read a map at all. You cannot read a map and drive at the same time.

• Like 1

Quite a few years ago I was getting onto the M42 at Tamworth to go home but we were all diverted off the M42 at the next stop down (Belfry) snf the police just pointed all the cars toward Litchfield. I was now lost and without a map and my phone was just a simple Moto K1. I took a turning towards Birmingham and just tried to drive my way through the city however not being a local every sign post was for local areas of birmingham which I had no clue of. After 3 hours of stop-start city driving I finally found a Sign for the M42 and I thought great and hoped it was the junction for the Airport. It was not and I ended up back at the junction I had origally come off at the Belfry. Doh!!!

At least the M42 was now open and I finally made my way home. Oh for SatNav!!

I must admit I do like to look at routes on maps ,plan a route and have an idea of the places I'm passing thro.,might be an age thing.but I do find satnavs very handy but am beginning to rely on them too much and when something leads to a detour or I miss understand the navs direction things get difficult ,If I ask the wife to check the map even if she's holding it the right way up she appears to suffer from map blindness,not understanding why all the lines have different colours and if she did use the sat nav she wouldn't either believe or agree with it anyway,and back to sat navs a friend of mine distrusts any make of sat navs with a woman's voice giving him directions,so only uses maps.