Best Yeti for Track work and Tuning Potential? Thoughts...........?

Sparkly

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking to change my Mk2 Fabia vRS for something a bit more practical, the two most likely contenders from the Skoda stable are a Mk2 FL Octy vRS (probably the TSI) or a Yeti.  The Yeti has the appeal of 4 wheel drive as an option and slightly more forgiving suspension for navigating West Yorkshire's appauling roads.

So...............

I just wanted to canvas peoples thoughts on the relative merits of either the 2.0 Common Rail 170BHP diesel or 1.8tsi petrol both for engine tuning potential, real world on the road performance for spirited driving and as the base for a daily driver that may well attend the occasional track day.

Can anyone outline the basic differences between the variant of the 1.8tsi that is found in the Yeti versus the 20v Turbo found in the Mk1 Octy vRS, can the Yeti 1.8 be uprated to the same spec as the Octy lump (more or less) as the former Stage 1 will only raise to about 190bhp where the latter seems to hit 210bhp suggesting it is more compatible with tuning.

I am probably not looking to go a full Bossfox or Beti the Yeti K04 conversion but may in time look for a healthy Stage 2.

I appreciate that chassis and brakes will need to be addressed but I am more confident that I know what I would like to do here.

Thanks

Sparkly

• Like 1

Ah, ok, I see.......................errm

What about general thoughts on these two for general spirited driving in stock format then?  Acceleration, road holding and the like.

You must all have indulged in a small amount of this?  Briskoda - Brisk Skodas and all that.

Anyone............no?

The 1.8 Tsi would be my choice and is easily tuneable to 200-210 hp with a remap. The 1.8 Tsi is just a smaller capacity of the 2.0 Tsi in the Mk 2 Octavia etc. The 1.8 engine in the Mk 1 Octavia vRS is totally different. I came to Yeti ownership from a remapped Mk 1 Octavia vRS and more than happy with the Yeti.

The CR170 diesel with 4x4 is a very good road-weapon. I have driven it 10,000 miles in 4 months and a big chunk of that was around the Scottish Highlands where it's handling belied it's bulk & height, and the acceleration for uphill overtaking was pretty astonishing.

However.... as a track day car... I'm not so convinced.

It's pretty good - for what it is -in the context of a road vehicle.

Compared with other "upright" vehicles (I recently drove a Merc B class for comparison) it's handling is really good.

On a track - I would expect it to be a bit too wallowy and unwieldy - and I would expect the fizzy petrols to be a better bet.

As a noteworthy point - the brakes on the CR170 are phenomenal - and could easily handle significantly extra power.

Ah, ok, I see.......................errm

What about general thoughts on these two for general spirited driving in stock format then?  Acceleration, road holding and the like.

You must all have indulged in a small amount of this?  Briskoda - Brisk Skodas and all that.

Anyone............no?

Not really, no. Went though that stage too many years ago.

However what I would say is that whatever model you buy (to me) it is one of the best handling SUV's I've ever driven and is very easy to "make progress" to the embarrassment of more sporting cars! I don't think you will find any difference in the handling department between either the petrol or the diesel, but I get the impression the diesel is easier to tune.

Remember that some of us bought Yeti's for their off-road performance, where speed is often the last thing you want.

• Like 1

I have the 2.0 TDI 170 that's now had a Shark stage 1 remap** (205HP/420nm). It was quick before but the extra torque makes it very capable. As others have noted that whilst the handling is good there is more lean in the corners than you might like. I'm not interested in tracking mine***  so I'm not likely to make any other changes, other than looking into anti-roll bars if I can be sure the ride won't be compromised for standard driving.

Will you be at the Yorkshire or National meets (in case you wanted to see what it's like)?

**The stage 2 takes it up to 215/450, but that includes a DPF delete which is more than I'd want to do.

*** Unless I eventually decide to have a go at hill climbing - so far I've not progressed beyond spectating!

• Like 1

It'd have to be a 1.8TSi in my book but then I am slightly biased... ;)

If you don't want to go extreme id say best bang per buck is...

• Stage 1 Shark Performance remap
  • 312mm VRS/170TDi disk upgrade with Ferrodo DS2500 pads and ATE Super Blue fluid
  • Eibach lowering springs and an uprated rear anti roll bar.

:)

• Like 3

It'd have to be a 1.8TSi in my book but then I am slightly biased... ;)

If you don't want to go extreme id say best bang per buck is...

• Stage 1 Shark Performance remap
  • 312mm VRS/170TDi disk upgrade with Ferrodo DS2500 pads and ATE Super Blue fluid
  • Eibach lowering springs and an uprated rear anti roll bar.
:)

What would you expect is the most that can be had out of the 1.8tsi whilst retaining stock turbo, is Stage 2 feasibly much more than stage 1 with an uprated IC and 200 cell cat exhaust? Would an Octy vRS FL fuel pump help?

I have the 2.0 TDI 170 that's now had a Shark stage 1 remap** (205HP/420nm). It was quick before but the extra torque makes it very capable. As others have noted that whilst the handling is good there is more lean in the corners than you might like. I'm not interested in tracking mine***  so I'm not likely to make any other changes, other than looking into anti-roll bars if I can be sure the ride won't be compromised for standard driving.

Will you be at the Yorkshire or National meets (in case you wanted to see what it's like)?

**The stage 2 takes it up to 215/450, but that includes a DPF delete which is more than I'd want to do.

*** Unless I eventually decide to have a go at hill climbing - so far I've not progressed beyond spectating!

**** See you at the national, I'll be there in my de specced Fabia or a new car :)

*****under the Wax Appeal banner with goodies for sale

Bit of a plan here Sparky! Buy a Yeti lend it to Richard for a week or two then it will go a bit faster when it returns ;)

I am slightly counting on the fact he will have some cast off mods sooner or later. :rofl:

• Like 1

What would you expect is the most that can be had out of the 1.8tsi whilst retaining stock turbo, is Stage 2 feasibly much more than stage 1 with an uprated IC and 200 cell cat exhaust? Would an Octy vRS FL fuel pump help?

I'd say 230-240bhp tops with bigger down pipe and decat but aiming for peak figures is ones thing and having something that's more driveable, quicker in the real world and easier on the transmission is why I'm such a Shark fan tbh. Personally I'd still be sticking an S3 inter cooler in there but I play it safe. I'm still on the standard fuel pump btw. If I swapped that out then I could comfortably push another .3 bar of boost through my relatively unstressed KO4 that's using only 1.2 bar currently. :)
  • Like 1

I'd say 230-240bhp tops with bigger down pipe and decat but aiming for peak figures is ones thing and having something that's more driveable, quicker in the real world and easier on the transmission is why I'm such a Shark fan tbh. Personally I'd still be sticking an S3 inter cooler in there but I play it safe. I'm still on the standard fuel pump btw. If I swapped that out then I could comfortably push another .3 bar of boost through my relatively unstressed KO4 that's using only 1.2 bar currently. :)

Totally agree on tuning with sympathy and I had said an IC as part of a stage 2 setup, I only ask as I had seen in your thread that Shark didn't want to push past stage 1 on stock turbo. But most stage 1 I have seen is hitting 190-200bhp tops, which is the upper limit on the 170CR TDI for stage 1, my reason to invest in the 1.8tsi would be the possibility to look for a stage 2 down the line.

• Like 2

Can live in hope

Mark I have 2 Yetis (well one is the wifes) but you can come and test drive them both if you want. FL and bug eye, manual and dsg.

If you've got the cash an Audi Allroad would do both with the least compromise.....VWWatercooled Australia (sorry no idea about links with iPad) have a radical mod thread on one if your interested.

I think it's in the Diesel section.

If you've got the cash an Audi Allroad would do both with the least compromise.....VWWatercooled Australia (sorry no idea about links with iPad) have a radical mod thread on one if your interested.

I think it's in the Diesel section.

If I went that route then I would look at a 1.8tsi Octavia Scout 4x4 I think, not out of the question!

Mark, you should pay me a visit...

Considering I have both a stage 1 (200bhp-ish) CR 170 diesel and the stage 3 1.8tsi.

I have to say, if only going stage 1 diesel would be my choice.

In the current times I struggle to understand why anyone would remove the DPF to get an extra 10bhp or so.

If going for more power it's got to be the 1.8tsi.

If you look at how the remapped CR170 goes it does keep up with Mildly tuned Fabias (like you had) on track with no other mods and being limited by the ESP.

Not to mention similarly tuned Octy VRSs just can't keep up out of corners...

I also believe it's quicker than a mapped 1.8tsi if both are stage 1.

Same power, more torque. Not to mention 15mpg more...

• Like 2

I think the thoughts on tuning potential have been covered, so I'll just chip in with my thoughts after a few months owning a 2011 CR170.

Bit of background - I commute about 40 miles across some of the best and worst roads of the Derbyshire Peak District. I've had fairly quick remapped diesels before, but wanted something with a little extra ground clearance to cope with rocks, debris, dead animals and of course snow - I've been using winter tyres for years, but they're so good, the limiting factor round soon turns to ground clearance.

I enjoy some fairly spirited driving from time to time, so I didn't want a full on barge of a 4x4 to take the pleasure away.

I have to say the Yeti is brilliant, and has surpassed all of my handling expectations. It's quick, well balanced and totally sure-footed. I think having the 4wd drivetrain underneath helps the weight balance.

If you push really hard, it does understeer a bit in corners, but I gather an ARB update would fix that for not much outlay.

Only comments I have are:

- the standard leather Elegance seats don't give much support if you like to push round the twisties, and I find the seat base isn't quite at the right angle to support under my legs properly (the electric seats are better in this respect from what I've read, as you can adjust more things, and more of a range).

- the Yeti isn't a light car. Think the kerb weight of mine is over 1500kg, and I've few options. If it was fully specced up with options (such as sunroof etc) I would imagine you'd be over 1600kg. Together with the drivetrain losses of the 4wd, it's not as quick as some cars with the same engine. But of course you gain masses of traction.

For me the next steps will be, when funds allow, a Shark Stage 1 remap, and some better pads. Then it will be awesome :)

• Like 1

For me the next steps will be, when funds allow, a Shark Stage 1 remap, and some better pads. Then it will be awesome :)

My CR170 only has a remap, uprated pads on stock 312mm discs and ARBs from a Golf R32.

That's all.

The ARBs do give a little more "jitter" to the ride but not only help with body roll in the corners, they also stop the ESP cutting in and stopping you using power out of the corners.

It makes the Yeti such a good all round package it doesn't need much more IMO, unless you are going to go a bit OTT.

Certainly made my Yeti able to hold it's own on the Briskoda Castle Combe day without actually spending much on it.

I still thing the chassis has talents hidden by a deceptive body.

If you drive them both then try and drive a Shark remapped 170CR as well.

The 170 in std form is not slow, but it is boring IMO - the Shark remapped 170 is however a pleasure to drive.

We were initially going to keep the FL Yeti (170CR) std, but we are already missing the refinement and power the Shark mapped Superb had.

My choice would be a Shark 170 for every day use or the 1.8 if you want a 'toy'.