Best oil for vRS (asz)

willmag

Thinking of changing my vRS' oil and filter tomorrow, can anyone suggest the best oil to buy?? (but not too pricey) Bought some fancy magnetec stuff that was supposed to 'massively increase mpg' last time, but i didn't notice anything. Thanks :)

Guest BigJase88

As long as it meets 505.01 spec minimum it is fine

Best stuff is VAG stuff's own (quantum platinum) nice and cheap

Or if you want better stuff (no point) then you can get quantum longlife III

As long as it meets 505.01 spec minimum it is fine

Best stuff is VAG stuff's own (quantum platinum) nice and cheap

Or if you want better stuff (no point) then you can get quantum longlife III

Ahhh brilliant thanks for the heads up, is there anywhere that would sell it??

Guest BigJase88

Just had a quick google and its suitable for bmw longlife 04 too :)

Delighted my bmw will also be getting this oil from now on

As an alternative to Quantum Patinum , I've just bought 5 litres of Millers XF fully Synth long life, rated to VW spec 505.01 for £32 delivered to the door.  That doesn't seem too bad a deal compared with the cost of some fully synth oils.

I believe mine was done with quantum long life lll as it's what vag approve now for the vRS.

Dealer was complaining about how expensive it was - I had a free service :rofl:

Guest BigJase88

Don't let them kid you!

Bought by the barrell it will cost them penny's. Probably told you thats whats recommended so they can take more wonga off you.

Platinum is more than fine for the old PD engine

Edited by BigJase88

There is currently a long debate on DW forum about what the best oil to use in a PD engine. People are saying even if oils beet the required standard, there are differences in them. Generally Fully Synthetic oils will be better than Semi Synthetic ones. I still don't know what the final recommendation is.

BTW, the Castrol Magnatec oil you last used meets VW 505.00 not the required 505.01 spec, so is not PD oil. Not only did get worse fuel consumption you may have damaged the camshaft due to the oil failing under pressure. You MUST use the correct PD oil (505.01 or better) to protect the camshaft lobes that are used to pressurise the injectors, which encounter very high loadings.

... I've just bought 5 litres of Millers XF fully Synth long life, rated to VW spec 505.01 for £32 delivered to the door.  That doesn't seem too bad a deal compared with the cost of some fully synth oils.

Yep, that's what I've bought. I've always used their XFE-PD semi-synth oil but I believe it's been discontinued and replaced by XF Long life (Fully synth).  Both are 5W-40 and meet 505.01. In March I paid about £27 (trade price) at a local Motor factors.

This is easily THE MOST BORING subject in the entire universe, as long as the oil meets VW's minimum spec. then it's absolutely fine for standard oil change intervals, if you want extended oil change intervals because you do a high proportion of motorway miles or more than 10k per year then use the fully synthetic long life oils.

Remember the only significant metal to metal contact in your engine is between the cam and followers, this is the important part of the VW spec. the engine bearings don't care if you're using fecking musk oil from the scent glands of adolescent badgers as long as it FLOATS the shells. Castrol have been banned from claiming that their oil is 'magnetic' because it just fecking isn't ok.

This is not a racing engine turning huge RPM, it's not a high temperature turbo petrol either, it's a lowly 1.9 turbodiesel and any oil is fine as long as meets the spec. and you change it on schedule accordingly.

This was the thread I mentioned above: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=344907

I thought This was an interesting comment (post 23, page 3)

You know some of the oils do not carry needed specification on their packing but in reality they offer much better protection than given spec.

Is all about royalty payments this days if you want to carry VW specs on your packing you have to pay.

I would personally only use oils that has the VW specs on it to guarantee the longevity of my camshaft and engine.

• Like 1

This was the thread I mentioned above: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=344907

I thought This was an interesting comment (post 23, page 3)

I would personally only use oils that has the VW specs on it to guarantee the longevity of my camshaft and engine.

They don't have to pay a royalty, they just pay for the certification process is all, it's utter nonsense.