Hi All

My dipped lamps are poor and a colleague thinks the earth may have corroded as the car is 11yrs old.

Does anyone know the location of the earth for the circuit that includes the lamps.

PeterH

Octy headlamps with stock bulbs are rubbish.  Get some Osram Nightbreaker bulbs.  Not sure where the earth is supplied for the headlights, but I would doubt it was bad (not a common fault anyway)

Try these. I have the main beam h1s in mine for over 12 months and they do make a difference, but probably won't last as long as normal bulbs would.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-UNLIMITED-halogen-headlamp-64210NBU-HCB/dp/B00EPLCPRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413928621&sr=8-1&keywords=nightbreaker+unlimited

• Like 1

Try these. I have the main beam h1s in mine for over 12 months and they do make a difference, but probably won't last as long as normal bulbs would.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BREAKER-UNLIMITED-halogen-headlamp-64210NBU-HCB/dp/B00EPLCPRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413928621&sr=8-1&keywords=nightbreaker+unlimited

Would these be compatible with my octi l&k 2005?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Would these be compatible with my octi l&k 2005?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

If you click on the link you can either enter your reg number or your model and engine size and it will tell you. I don't have a pre fl mk2 so couldn't say for sure. I bought mine off amazon, making sure they were from amazon themselves rather than use ebay and risk them being fakes.

I personally wouldn't bother with the nightbreakers. My headlamps were pants so bought some nightbreakers, only to find it already had some fitted.

I went for a HID kit, it's the best solution in my opinion. Kits can be picked up from as little as £40.

Thank you all for all your replies.

The above link covers H7 bulbs - mine are H1 but only for main beam and dipped is  the problem

No one  has yet been able to advise the location of the earth point.

I have a feeling HID, although certainly very bright, are not legal in my Mk1 Octavia as it does not have automatic headlamp levelling.

(The manual levelling doesn't work either).

I will try changing the Dipped bulbs, which are H4

PeterH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and yes - you are right and I know this!

Must have suffered a mental aberration!

So I cleaned the Left side headlamp with T cut

Significant improvement.

Then I changed the LH headlamp bulb which was the 11 year oldoriginal. (I have had the car from new)

I just fitted a standard H4 - not Xenon or Nightbreaker. This was because I had a new H4 in the garage.

Huge improvement.

So my conclusion is that Bulbs wear out as well as everything else.

Now I will do the Right Side

PeterH

• Like 1