Cold Starting Issues - Running out of ideas!

I feel your pain, my PD170 started doing similar , I took to connecting to a ctek battery charger just because starting it after a few days took so much out of the battery .

Sorry to say I traded it, I did worry it was potentially a cylinder head issue

Diesel cars that dont start immediately will always smoke heavily upon starting, loads of unburnt fuel in cylinders and exhaust system.Things seem to be pointing to poor compression for whatever reason.

Nonsense, its only on starts where its been stood for hours, so highly unlikely to be a compression issue.

• Like 1

Example. At the moment you have ~15 degrees below real temperature, if you disconnect plug from sensor system will recognize -40°C. So I guess you'll not see any difference.

No, a disconnected temperature sensor will be recognised open circuit fault by the ecu, and a default value will be adopted.

I'm completely stressed out now by the car and I've spent around £1000 now for basically nothing.

I'm booking the car in with a main dealer ( Horton Skoda )

I don't want the car leaving there until it's sorted.

- starter motor testing & fuel pressure testing will be what I'm edging towards along with there suggestions & disgnostic report.

I started with this mindset...

I'm very persistent and I have now accepted this as my mission to get to the bottom of this.

I will not give up nor accept defeat.

Have faith :)

I went through this stage, even without being £1,000 down...

I'm completely stressed out now by the car and I've spent around £1000 now for basically nothing.

I gave up in the end, please don't do the same, this needs sorting!!

• Like 1

I'm just hoping ( and praying to the Lord above ) that a dealer will have the tools, equipment and knowledge to put me right.

Also with pretty much everything that could go wrong ruled out it should be easier for them ( cheaper for me ) to find an answer!

Amen ;)

• Like 1

Was dropped off at the main dealers this evening ( Horton Skoda )

They are going to perform they're special work in the morning ( hopefully ) and test it while it's cold/has cranking issues.

So just going to wait back from them to see what they say. I have also wrote them a list of everything that has been changed on the car etc

We'll see what they suggest or come back with tomorrow, they are also going to fit my T sensor for me.

Light at the end of the tunnel..I hope so!

Right,

Back from the Main Dealers - the fuel filter is FLOODED with oil.

They said that this is the cause of the cranking issues and are surprised it even starts at all.

Due to work I can't leave the car with them however it is booked in for 28th Saturday with a courtesy car for myself.

They are going to find out why the fuel filter is getting contaminated with oil and then perform a oil cleanse of the system ( fuel filter, fuel tank etc )

Hopefully it's just the O rings or something. So at least I have an answer - I thought the other garages checked my fuel filter though :/

Hurry up next Saturday.

Woah there, an injector can leak.....putting diesel into the engine oil, but not putting oil into the fuel lines....check out your link!

Could be the faulty tandem pump, was the filter changed when the tandem pump was changed?

Maybe (thinking out loud) the faulty tandem pump has been returning  engine oil to tank (via the leak off piping)....???

Edited by xman

A failed oring on tthe injetor could cause oil in the fuel, cant see how the tandem pump could put oil in the fuel as rhe pressure is higher than the oil preessure, also fail to undestand how this is affecting starting. Diesel enginees will run quite happily on engine oil,smoke a lot but still run.

A failed oring on tthe injetor could cause oil in the fuel,

Thats new to me, by what route did the oil get into the fuel?

As far as I can see, fuel/air can leak at the O ring interface into the top side of the head, the fuel then mixes with the oil in the head and dilutes the sump oil.

IIRC the tandem pump has been changed. The tandem pump is run off the camshaft. If the o ring/seal on the camshaft end between the camcover and tandem pump is missing or damaged, engine oil could be pumped from the cam bearing down the shaft into the low pressure side - the side that draws fuel. From there, fuel is returned (probably to tank) from the pressure regulator.

you'll not start an cold engine easily on engine oil due to its cetane rating flash point etc,

Edited by xman