Aargh! dreaded water leak!

yetiscot

Have had my new SM for 3 weeks and noticed a small amount of water under the drivers foot mat. Gave it a rub with absorbent paper- putting it down to water brought in on my feet.

Every morning after rain though, there is a tiny bit of water on the left side of the carpet, just in front of the drivers seat. I do usually park uphill though. I have not got the panoramic roof.

Looks to me like it could be  the windscreen, but if so the water must be running down the inside of the bulkhead, under the carpet and gathering under the carpet further back.

The other thing I've seen mentioned, is the aircon drain, but isn't that over the passenger footwell?

I put a layer of absorbent paper on top of the carpet over the whole area overnight last night and it was pouring down!, and the only part that was wet was the patch about 6" diameter

Anyway any suggestions would be welcome.

I can't get it booked in until the back end of next week--I'll let you know how I get on :rain::sweat:

Tried a whole bucketful of water and it shot straight through no problem. It is very strange that the damp area is confined to a small area just in front of the drivers seat. Tried the rear wash wipe and it doesn't seem to be that. Anyway that would smell of the additive.

I had another thought it could be coming up from underneath,[ missing grommet?] but the plastic underbody tray is in the way.

It is really a small amount though- probably no more than a egg cup full, but long term it will do the carpet etc no good in that area. The car is only 4 weeks old as well!

Check that there is not any water dripping off the rear view mirror as this was where my occasional leak manifested itself. Leak at top of windscreen apparently, new screen fitted due to large crack caused by stone "chip" so hopefully now sorted.

Parked it facing downhill for a change and noticed this morning that there is a dribble of water running down the end of the dashboard, where it faces the door, so I surmise the leak is either a door seal or the windscreen. I'm not quite sure which I prefer :sweat:

Parked it facing downhill for a change and noticed this morning that there is a dribble of water running down the end of the dashboard, where it faces the door, so I surmise the leak is either a door seal or the windscreen. I'm not quite sure which I prefer :sweat:

Probably windscreen. Had the same problem with a Roomster and the windscreen fitter said that there was a gap in the sealant around the screen that was the cause.

Fred

Pull both inner a post trims off jump inside with a good light & get wife to hose down car around roof & screen etc for a good five mins at least and Check for leaks & above mirror as that's where a lot of screen replacement guys do the join.

When you open the door after rain, a bit of water travels along the door seal and can deposit on floor inside the car - I take it it's not this happening? I have often notice slight wetness on rubber mats. I hope its not actually a leak, we had that in our golf and despite 'getting it fixed' at garage it never went.

I have a FL car now and have noticed that the design of the water drains, on the bottom of the doors, appear to be different.

On my old car, when you closed the door and after a night of rain when you opened the door, you got a small waterfall out of the bottom of the door, because the door seal blocked the drains, when the door was closed.

Now they have moved the drains outwards and as a result, they now dribble continuously [don't say like the owner!] leaving a stain on the plastic cill section instead! I can only hope whatever is leaching out with the water will settle down and save me a cleaning job.

Anyway the SM is in the local dealership today for investigation, so hopefully, later on, I should find out what's going on.

Still awaiting final resolution --I'll update you in due course

Apparently needs an extended stay at the dealership as the one day it has had, the leak could not be found. They used one of those electronic leak detectors to no avail.

The leak is quite small, but that is small consolation. I assume there will need to be a bit of trim removal etc. to find it.

Meanwhile I fixed the rattling/ squeaking dash myself, with a dash if silicon spray, as suggested on a thread here--worked a treat!

hi,  why don't they use a smoke machine instead?  I have the same problem and looking for solve it by myself with plenty of silicone around the windscreen....Just started from the passenger side (where i found the leak and the water on the floor) and next I'll go on in the upper part of windscreen. 

The entrance of water inside the car depends on the position of the vehicle and/or the direction of the rain...crazy

bye  :sweat:

hi,  why don't they use a smoke machine instead?  I have the same problem and looking for solve it by myself with plenty of silicone around the windscreen....Just started from the passenger side (where i found the leak and the water on the floor) and next I'll go on in the upper part of windscreen. 

The entrance of water inside the car depends on the position of the vehicle and/or the direction of the rain...crazy

bye  :sweat:

Do NOT put silicone around the windscreen!!

If you wish to reseal a windscreen then use the proper product or get a company to refit the screen properly.

Silicone is a botch job!!

Compare it to making pasta with wall paper paste!!

hi Llanigraham, I used the product in 'link', nice for glass and windscreen, don't worry...

More I've put the silicone on the existing sealant only to catch/close the probably hole!

http://www.saratoga.it/it/prodotto/1/160-sigillanti-acetici/35-silicone-acetico-universale/

if it doesn't fix, I'll ask for a proper refit of the windscreen, stay tuned and wait next raining day with me.....

OK car has been at the dealers- Silbury Skoda for 3 days. The technician reports that the osf inner and outer wings were devoid of sealant! :thumbdown: So much for the robots.

So wing off , sealant applied. New front carpets and sound deadening material installed and apparently tested OK :thumbup:

So fingers crossed, that is that.

ty both of you for help...

I hope you solve the issue with this garage work, but sealant around the right wing is strange cause water normally falls from upper part of the dashboard or windscreen in the raining time, right wing seems to be very low or not?

Recently, spraying my windscreen with water-cleaning pressure machine I stared at some sparkling air balls near the windscreen black rubber (upper part), so I think it might be the place where the rain goes in....next week I will do some test....

have a good day

ty both of you for help...

I hope you solve the issue with this garage work, but sealant around the right wing is strange cause water normally falls from upper part of the dashboard or windscreen in the raining time, right wing seems to be very low or not?

Recently, spraying my windscreen with water-cleaning pressure machine I stared at some sparkling air balls near the windscreen black rubber (upper part), so I think it might be the place where the rain goes in....next week I will do some test....

have a good day

Top of the wing, I should think, then trickling down behind the carpet