ECU upgrade for VRS

I've done it via Superchips, they used my car for development.

I've got over 24k miles on my car and had the tune on for the last 6k miles.

Have to say it's well worth it on the TSI VRS, such a great engine.

Best run on the rollers I had was 346bhp and 368flbt, always run on 99 ron fuel. Seems to average out around 330bhp and 368flbt.

On the road I've timed runs of just over 5 secs to 60 and up to 100mph can be dismissed in under 11 seconds.

Pre map the car used to achieve 40+ mpg (use car for work and do a good 1750 miles a month)

Post map the car now achieves 35 mpg, however that is more down to the fact I just really enjoy the power and can't stop using it. I did try one day and still managed 39mpg so was happy with that.

I had the map more for in gear improvements (not that it was slow anyway) and have tons of power so it's effortless to drive with the map on and loads of power makes for very easy overtaking. Surprises a few cars,..

• Like 1

Best run on the rollers I had was 346bhp and 368flbt, always run on 99 ron fuel. Seems to average out around 330bhp and 368flbt.

On the road I've timed runs of just over 5 secs to 60 and up to 100mph can be dismissed in under 11 seconds.

Pre map the car used to achieve 40+ mpg (use car for work and do a good 1750 miles a month)

Post map the car now achieves 35 mpg, however that is more down to the fact I just really enjoy the power and can't stop using it. I did try one day and still managed 39mpg so was happy with that.

I had the map more for in gear improvements (not that it was slow anyway) and have tons of power so it's effortless to drive with the map on and loads of power makes for very easy overtaking. Surprises a few cars,..

Once my new vrs arrives I'll enjoy the standard TSI for a while but the stage 1 is a tempting option for the future that's for sure.

Looks good to me although a little expensive.

Agreed £600 is a lot of money but you are getting a 100bhp increase in power!

I plan on getting a Revo map, used them in the past. Generally a nice linear increase with a nice dollop of mid range torque.

• Like 1

100bhp on a stage 1 remap!! Thats some increase :D are these engines gagged back a lot to put out the standard 220bhp? If mine lasts 3 years I might just invest lol!

I think these engines are giving more like 240-250bhp stock, stage 1 map takes it to over 310bhp and for some lucky people a lot more than that  :D  :D

• Like 2

Just had a Revo stage 1 remap on my Octavia 3 VRS TSI at Midland VW. They have a rolling road so they did before and after tests. Car is running V Power and stock output was 227 bhp and 251 lbft of torque. After remap, power was up to 297bhp and 301 lbft. Disappointed that these outputs are below the claimed outputs. However, not disappointed in the way the car performs now, despite the lack of traction in these wet and cold conditions. 

Next mod will be VW Racing R600 intake system as Midland VW installed one on a Golf GTI and it gave an extra 20bhp. Not cheap though at £360.

• Like 1

Just had a Revo stage 1 remap on my Octavia 3 VRS TSI at Midland VW. They have a rolling road so they did before and after tests. Car is running V Power and stock output was 227 bhp and 251 lbft of torque. After remap, power was up to 297bhp and 301 lbft. Disappointed that these outputs are below the claimed outputs. However, not disappointed in the way the car performs now, despite the lack of traction in these wet and cold conditions. 

Next mod will be VW Racing R600 intake system as Midland VW installed one on a Golf GTI and it gave an extra 20bhp. Not cheap though at £360.

Don't get too caught up in figures, focus more on if you think the money is worth the difference! Was the GTI a standard car? The r600 is about £100 cheaper than the ApR carbon intake

Its impressive alright.

Have to say a basic TSi + stage 1 map @ approx £25k makes for alot of car.

Where the Golf is concerned I think id be tempted by a stage 1 mapped GTI PP over an R given the price differential.

Talking of silly power figures I saw that DMS managed to map an apparently standard M135i manual to 402hp and over 400lb/ft torque. They are insanely quick standard; that sort of power in a hatch that size must be mind boggling!!

Its impressive alright.

Have to say a basic TSi + stage 1 map @ approx £25k makes for alot of car.

Where the Golf is concerned I think id be tempted by a stage 1 mapped GTI PP over an R given the price differential.

Talking of silly power figures I saw that DMS managed to map an apparently standard M135i manual to 402hp and over 400lb/ft torque. They are insanely quick standard; that sort of power in a hatch that size must be mind boggling!!

The 135i is a very quick car standard. No good for me as it has a ****e boot. Could barely cram in a 3 person tent into that boot so no comparison to the Octavia.

That's the advantage of the Octavia, it genuinely has one of the biggest boots on the market (check out the audi a6, bmw 5 series wagon) and yet is cheaper and still performs well.

I find comparing the Octy to a golf or 1 series pointless as they are competing in different markets imho.

Don't get too caught up in figures, focus more on if you think the money is worth the difference! Was the GTI a standard car? The r600 is about £100 cheaper than the ApR carbon intake

That's what Revo told me !  Apparently quite big differences between rolling roads, so I guess Midland VW's is realistic. Car should also produce more power on the road due to the increased airflow. Certainly worth the money.

The GTI had a stage 1 Revo remap. Link is below. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=271735.0

That's what Revo told me !  Apparently quite big differences between rolling roads, so I guess Midland VW's is realistic. Car should also produce more power on the road due to the increased airflow. Certainly worth the money.

The GTI had a stage 1 Revo remap. Link is below. 

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=271735.0

Interesting results from fitting the R600 intake, wonder if it fits the Skoda?

Yep, it does!

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/skoda/octavia-mk3/volkswagen-racing-r600-intake-system-skoda-octavia-vrs

Edited by waaar

The size of the filter area is more than double the standard one, but the improvement also comes from the design of the airbox. Apparently, the standard one directs the air down and then up before passing through the filter. The results speak for themselves and Chris at Midland VW reckoned it only took him 15 mins to install it. I expect the main difference will be improved throttle response. Now that Awesome GTI do one for the Octavia VRS, I will be purchasing it very shortly and will advise results.

• Like 1

Ive got no doubt that the box is well designed. The filter area may be double but is it needed? Especially considering an oem paper element is far more effective than an oiled aftermarket filter for a road car. Along with possible MAF damage.

I think a remap alone would do for me.

Performance per £ obviously goes to the ECU remap.

Remap @ ~£500 = +60bhp (£8 per pony)

Airbox @ ~£350 = +15-20bhp (£17.50 per pony)

Full exhaust system incl sports cat @ ~£2000 = +20bhp (£100 per pony)

A larger turbo will offer nice gains, but then you will need all of the above as well to get the best out of it. The first 60bhp costs ~£500 but the next 60bhp step will cost >£3000.

My old Impreza required £1800 worth of custom remap, full exhaust system and free-flow filter to gain 30bhp. The VRS/GTI engine practically gives 60bhp away for ~£500.

What a crock of ****, the remapping companies are trying to outdo each other again with even more outrageous claims than ever!

.... this might help explain my sentiment!

Edited by Makefish
  • Like 1

I'm not denying an airbox can increase power, I've put them on cars before but for everyday road cars especially modern sensors I'm not sure about the filters in them, especially foam ones which I've seen reports of them being far less effective than a k&n type filter which is again less effective than a standard filter.

Turbo cars often have the advantage of big gains from a remap which is very cost effective. Has anyone actually measured what the standard setup could flow to see if there is a real need for much improvement.

What a crock of ****, the remapping companies are trying to outdo each other again with even more outrageous claims than ever!

.... this might help explain my sentiment!

I don't have a clue who you are mate and don't take kindly to this sort of comment against a post I've made, you don't know me in any shape or form.

I can't help it that anything you've had in the past back in 2012 didn't make the grade when mapped.

I've mapped many cars and have always found both the mk5 and mk6 GTi's I've had have never run the power figures claimed, however this engine is different by some margin.

I always take claims with a pinch of salt and take the car out on the open road to see for myself how they perform.

I know my car is running very near to the number suggest by the VBOX times I've achieved, I'm happy with that.

Edited by Telboy5
  • Like 2

Anyone

Ok, having had this on for nearly 3 months and covering nearly 6k miles I can confirm the following;

Mpg, use car for work so do a lot of miles on various types of journeys, best long distance mpg pre map was 50.3, however best I've seen thus far is 44.5 post re map. In all honesty it generally hangs around 35 mpg as it's just too easy to use all that power.

Mine's a DSG and the power is just intoxicating from right across the rev range, however in gear is now in another league. I have winters on at the moment and can get the wheels spinning at 80mph (not so much when summer tyres were on). The torque is just immense, however it is still very sedate when you want it to be but with oodles more usable power.

0-60 have improved as has 0-100, 30-70, 70-90 and so on, very strong in all aspects.

What I like about this map is it isn't all out a big bang, it's progressive.

Highly recommend it for this engine as VWG have a peach of an engine that seems to be a big leap over the one it replaced.