Discreet Dash Cam Install

I had a camera which I bought about 2-3 years ago that would not work all the time. I then read the manual and it said that the SD card must be no better than Class 4 and recommended that the card be formatted by the camera's software. New slower SD card and problem fixed.

I mention this because your camera user manual recommends Class 6 whereas most vendors of SD cards are pushing class 10.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Got mine today, but I didn't know it would come without a plug on it when I ordered it?

Id bought a double 12v female adapter with USB plug on, and was going to piggy back fuse it in the little dash compartment.

Now though Im lost, as I don't get on well with electrics.

It has a black, red and white wire plus the yellow phono lead.

Am i right in thinking Red is the Permanent live, White is the switched live and black the earth?

If so, how do I connect these up?

Idiots guide if you don't mind please, because I really don't like doing electrickery stuff on cars.

Any help appreciated

TIA

Damo

When Michelle ordered it. As a present, remember? :p

Use two piggy back fuses. One on a permanent live, the other on a switched live. Black to a ground in the fuse compartment. There's a little bolt you can undo & trap it under there. Pretty sure you've got the colours the right way round. :thumbup:

Oh & leave the yellow phono dangling or taped up. You won't be able to use that on a stock head unit without buying other bits n pieces.

I bought this one Simeon... I sent Michelle's back as it was way too expensive for what it was

I do have two piggy back fuse holders, Im just not sure which fuses to use 

I have a Pioneer double din dvd player, not the standard head unit, and it does have an input for video :thumbup:

What size SD card would be best for this? And any preferences on brand?

Looks cost effective solution if it records on ignition on/off.

I got the one they recommend, a class 6 32gb

• Like 1

Yes all dashcam are on a permanent loop. If your memory card can hold 2 hours, you'll have the last 2 hours footage.

If it can only only 1 hour, you'll only have the last 1 hours footage.

• Like 1

Is there a way to connect the camera to my laptop via the yellow aux connector? i want to change the date & turn the volume on,if not am i going to have to buy something like a portable dvd player & connect the camera to that via the yellow aux connector?

I fitted mine at the weekend,yeah it doesnt come with a cig lighter type connector,just 3 wires (earth,live & ignition live) & another connector to connect to a dvd type unit? i hard wired mine into the fuse box,i bought a female type cig lighter connector thinking it would connect to that but it doesnt.  :D im just waiting for my memory card adaptor to arrive then i can view the last few days driving & see what the camera is like. 

Could you share how you connected it?

Did you use piggy back fuses?

Pics would be good too if you could

• Like 1

I found a spare permanent live & a spare ignition live terminal in the fuse box & connected to them with a spade connector & in-line fuse holder & connected them to the camera wires.For the earth i attached a connector to the camera earth wire & used the threaded stud near the top of the fuse box & used a nut on the stud to secure the earth wire. Took me around 30 mins to fit & wire the camera,this included removing the pillar trim to run the camera wires to the fuse box.You can use a piggy back connector but i didnt have any so i used my box of electrical bits. :D

• Like 1

I got the one they recommend, a class 6 32gb

A 16gb card holds about 20, five minute clips. More than enough for me.

I presume we are talking Micro SD card?

Just trying to piece everything together.

I found a spare permanent live & a spare ignition live terminal in the fuse box & connected to them with a spade connector & in-line fuse holder & connected them to the camera wires.For the earth i attached a connector to the camera earth wire & used the threaded stud near the top of the fuse box & used a nut on the stud to secure the earth wire. Took me around 30 mins to fit & wire the camera,this included removing the pillar trim to run the camera wires to the fuse box.You can use a piggy back connector but i didnt have any so i used my box of electrical bits. :D

Which fuses did you use for switched and permanent live please? 

Perm towards top, switched towards bottom I believe. You can test fairly easily by touching each fuse live side and an earthing point with multimeter prongs, with and without the ignition....

• Like 1

Its literally the top few rows permanent and bottom row switched. Choose one with correct fuse size for your tap and correct rating for the camera.

• Like 1

Its literally the top few rows permanent and bottom row switched. Choose one with correct fuse size for your tap and correct rating for the camera.

That's the thing.

The switched live I was going to use already has a piggy back being used by the head unit.

Can I use an empty slot with just one fuse (even though I'm using a piggy back wire) instead

Is there any switched and perm live empty slots is what I'm saying

And if so what fuse size would you recommend 5A?

You can only use an empty slot if you wire the line properly into the back of the fuse box with a repair wire (ie with a terminal on the end of it). Otherwise its a fuse tap but you can then use any active fuse that is appropriately rated. I prefer the former as it looks tidier and not too hard once you drop the steering trim.

5amps should be plenty.

Edit: re-reading this do you mean a fuse tap in an empty but wired slot? There may be one but there weren't too many available in my previous experience...

• Like 1