Flat battery?

longedge

Just come back from hols and went to get the Yeti out of the garage. It was completely dead and battery is currently on charge. I had a quick check round and as far as I can tell, I didn't leave anything on. It's been standing for 3 weeks so I'm a bit supicious of the battery. It's a Black Edition 6mths old with just over 4000 on the clock. Anybody else had probs?

Stab in the dark... you hadn't left the glovebox open had you?   The internal light stays on if you do. ( I think )

If the battery is goosed warranty should cover it.

Had to replace mine .. just out of warranty so sourced a new one online.  Got the meatiest one that would fit and 2 years down the line no prob's.

There has been, mainly in the past mumblings about this sort of thing happening, and in the case of the Ibiza S/C from round about 2009/2010, it was rumoured to have been cause by a S/W problem that could leave some of the supply sources active for far too long.   This happened to daughter's late 2009 Ibiza S/C this winter past - just once, recharged the battery and everything is okay, that car, I think, does not have a glovebox light or a "boot" light, plus as it was in winter, we would have noticed if any interior lights were lit for too long.

I leave the rear hatch open for weeks with it parked in the garage and the battery charge 'protector' switches everything off after 5 mins or so. I guess there is a voltage sensor that activates the shut down.

I guess there is a voltage sensor that activates the shut down.

I wondered if that was the case. Seems strange but anyway, it's been on trickle for 20 hrs now so when I've finished my breaky I'll go and see if things are back to normal.

I hadn't driven the Yeti for at least 2-3 weeks and had, numerous times, opened the drivers door which immediately activates the rear light (the others are in the off position) for the 5-10 mins before going off again.

Yesterday we to Yeti for a run to the big smoke and it didn't indicate a voltage problem starting.

This battery gets moddicodled though.

Well it seems OK now after a 20hr trickle charge. Only problem that it has caused is my averag mpg data has gone. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see how things go.

• 2 months later...

Well it seems OK now after a 20hr trickle charge. Only problem that it has caused is my averag mpg data has gone. I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see how things go.

What happened in the end?  I'm interested because the battery in our Yeti's just failed for no apparent reason.  All fine yesterday, and I keep it topped up reasonably often with a CTEK charger, but dead today.  Car's only 18 months old, with a very low mileage but used regularly.  TPI warning (all the tyres were fine) was the first sign of trouble but I'm now assuming that was set off by the low battery, rather than causing it.

My experience is that all cars since about 1985 have battery consuming computers and electronics that will flatten a battery very quickly.  Now we even have gear like electric steering assist so we must not allow the battery to get low and still enable the car to be driven.  A car that is off the road for a more than about a week needs to be on a maintenance charge to be sure of a good charge next time it is started.

I keep all mine on maintenance charging as they are not used frequently.

The battery in my Jaguar is still in excellent condition and is 11 years old!

Norry

I think that due to the safety problems associated with electric power failure on modern cars the system detects the low voltage and just shuts down everything associated with driving the vehicle.

Norry

What happened in the end?  I'm interested because the battery in our Yeti's just failed for no apparent reason.  All fine yesterday, and I keep it topped up reasonably often with a CTEK charger, but dead today.  Car's only 18 months old, with a very low mileage but used regularly.  TPI warning (all the tyres were fine) was the first sign of trouble but I'm now assuming that was set off by the low battery, rather than causing it.

After charging it up it has been absolutely fine, no further problems. It does stay in the garage for several days at a time (the Citigo is on the drive and easier to jump into) but I make sure I use it on a decent run at least once or twice a week.

I had a 2013 Audi A6 and was worried that not being able to drive for 3 months in the winter (hospital and recuperation) that the battery would be flat.

Needn't have worried, got a mate to take it for a good run and it started no problem. He said (he works for a dealer) that the cars in the compound usually start fine even when left for a long time.

So really shouldn't have to charge a car battery after just a few weeks.

• Like 1

After charging it up it has been absolutely fine, no further problems. It does stay in the garage for several days at a time (the Citigo is on the drive and easier to jump into) but I make sure I use it on a decent run at least once or twice a week.

Thanks for that.  Similar situation here - at least so far.  Battery now fully charged (thanks to the very useful CTEK charger) and although the TPM light continued to flash for a short time, it had cleared itself within half a mile.  Still puzzled by the sudden flat battery, but it's now showing as fully charged, and it seems to be holding it.

I'll check it out properly under load with a tester due to arrive on Sunday from Amazon - don't trust it at the moment, but reluctant to shell out on a new one unless absolutely necessary.  I'll make a warranty claim if it needs replacing - that should be interesting!   :sun:

I had several flat battery episodes which Listers Skoda of Coventry were unable to diagnose. On the last occasion I called Skoda Assist since the car was in my garage and wouldn't start. The technician was immediately able to diagnose a short from the alarm siren, then jump started the car, booked it into Listers and ordered a courtesy car. Wonderful service and no problems since, though I have changed the original battery for a Bosch with 5 year warranty - much more robust than the original. In the process, the technician sent his readings off to Germany and received a printout with the diagnosis seconds later - impressive what?

• Like 1

I had a 2013 Audi A6 and was worried that not being able to drive for 3 months in the winter (hospital and recuperation) that the battery would be flat.

Needn't have worried, got a mate to take it for a good run and it started no problem. He said (he works for a dealer) that the cars in the compound usually start fine even when left for a long time.

So really shouldn't have to charge a car battery after just a few weeks.

Going away soon for two weeks.  Now worried that the AX HAGG will refuse to start.......woe is me!

My previous car sat for months and started first time. 

Is it possible to just detach the battery without all computer systems blowing up?  I don't have access to an electric point either.  Could use jump leads I suppose :sweat:

I left mine in the middle of a freezing winter for 3 weeks in an outdoor car park.

It started first time ,no problems.

I just made sure everything was switched off.e.g.Radio,before I switched off the ignition.

Just in case... :)

I left mine in the middle of a freezing winter for 3 weeks in an outdoor car park.

It started first time ,no problems.

I just made sure everything was switched off.e.g.Radio,before I switched off the ignition.

Just in case... :)

I guess it's just possible that if a battery is sus, it could be the straw that breaks................

Batteries can fail in an instant.  I drove 1/2 mile to a shop, came out 2 mins later and notthing, even the radio would power up.  AA guy said that batteries can get a dead short in a cell with no previous warning and effectively kills the battery in  a few seconds.

Batteries can fail in an instant.  I drove 1/2 mile to a shop, came out 2 mins later and notthing, even the radio would power up.  AA guy said that batteries can get a dead short in a cell with no previous warning and effectively kills the battery in  a few seconds.

It happened to me and a mate when we took our cars on a v rough road to a remote camping location.

When we stopped for a look we couldn't get either started again. We luckily got a jump start from another vehicle and drove 100km for 2 new batteries.

Going away soon for two weeks.  Now worried that the AX HAGG will refuse to start.......woe is me!

My previous car sat for months and started first time. 

Is it possible to just detach the battery without all computer systems blowing up?  I don't have access to an electric point either.  Could use jump leads I suppose :sweat:

Battery problems usually happen when the battery is around 4 years old. They can go faulty at any time but it is very rare. Enjoy your 2 week break and don't worry about it :cocktail: 

Fred.

Battery problems usually happen when the battery is around 4 years old. They can go faulty at any time but it is very rare. Enjoy your 2 week break and don't worry about it :cocktail:

Fred.

Thank you Fred.