Magellan Navigation

RickS

Hello folks. During 'That Review' by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, he demonstrated the sat-nav plotting the route he'd just followed whist off-road & claimed if he got lost, he'd just turn around & follow the trail back! Does anyone know how to set the system up to do that?

On my Amundsen if you are off road the direction required is displayed with an arrow.......so Jezzer just followed the direction of the arrow I guess

Hello folks. During 'That Review' by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, he demonstrated the sat-nav plotting the route he'd just followed whist off-road & claimed if he got lost, he'd just turn around & follow the trail back! Does anyone know how to set the system up to do that?

Do you have a rear view camera?

It uses that to record the outward journey so it can display a retrace route picture on the way back.

This is installation in a Jeep: http://www.off-road.com/jeep/review/magellan-gps-installation-for-offroad-navigation-53859.html

This feature is called a 'breadcrumb trail' or 'trackback' on a hand-held GPS but I'd not heard of it before on a sat-nav.  Useful, in all sorts of situations!  A follow-arrow system simply points directly towards the intended destination, which isn't any help in finding a route around or through obstacles like water and woodland. 

Hello Urrell, no I don't have a rear view camera linked to my Magellan, sadly, but a good idea & certainly something to consider next time I visit the dealer! Softscoop, I saw the pattern he drew towards the end, but when he first started the off-road sequence, he showed the trace being created, must be something to do with the 'Waypoint' feature. I'll keep playing around until I crack it. Cheers.

I assume you mean this bit? :)

Looks like he's recorded lots of separate points.

SAtnav.png

That merely indicates that Jeremy himself is the 'penis' haha :D