TPM warning yesterday

DonjSZ5

At 10,000 miles this was the first time the warning light has activated.

Was it yesterday high ambient temperature plus braking heat.

I stopped and checked to see if any were obviously down but no, all OK.

Due to grandson minding I did not have the time to gauge them so will be doing it this morning.

On my old Octavia I had it come on once when the heat from the binding brakes on one corner had caused an increase in pressure.

The other three corners had not changed pressure to any significant degree.

I had the warning come on when carrying an excessively heavy load. The tyre pressures were perfectly OK. Apparently the system monitors the rolling profile of the tyre, so if it changes sufficiently for whatever reason, it will alarm.

High ambient temperatures, if sufficient to increase the tyre pressure to the extent that it impacts the rolling profile of the tyre, could well cause the system to alarm.

• Like 1

All tyres are 28psi. Though I note they should be 30psi.

But I suppose that depends on the calibration of my gauge...I could say it's +- 5% which puts the figure close enough not to inflate them.

Edited by DonjSZ5

& if it was accurate,

low enough to have a tyre or 3 overheating and risk a blow out.

Maybe best invest in an accurate tyre pressure gauge and regularly  check pressures as ambient temps and seasons change.

the TPMS is just a warning, and not that good of one.

It does not replace physical checks, and then it needs Resetting, and the system checked as per mentioned in the Owners Manual.

• Like 1

Halfords came out top on the best tyre pressure gauge in 2014.

Their current models all state +-1%

The one I am using is a Halfords R112001 albeit about 20 years old. It is of course Made in China but that means nowt these days cos they do make quality gear...more so than the UK.

Ahhh that tyre, nothing the gunk won't fix.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I'm lucky enough to have a garage compressor and one of these puckka PCL gauges. Over the years I've acquired several different gauges , dial types, digital etc etc. Most of which, give quite different readings . Interestingly the PCL gauge and the gauge from my late fathers 1968 Rover 2000 TC always give identical readings -- Interesting ?

Navy blue bib and brace overalls for me

Next you'll be claiming you get your hands dirty.....what! :-)))

(Funny things happen)

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

Well, having two old Grey Fergies, dirty hands and skinned knuckles are the norm

If you need a 'supervisor' I'll see if I can fit you in ))))

Well, having two old Grey Fergies, dirty hands and skinned knuckles are the norm

I'm impressed...Prince Andrew couldn't manage one!

• Like 1

I've had 4 or 5 TPM warnings in 19k miles with TIBET III (I didn't have any spoofs with TIBET II).

Once, it was a true slow puncture that didn't show initially but the tyre was nigh on flat by the time I left work (nail in the tread). 

The other warnings were spoofs and occur at pretty much the same place on the way to work (at a T-junction). It makes me wonder if there is something with the tyre loading/temperature at that point in the journey that triggers it. 

My plan has been not to reset the warning straight away, rather leaving it as a reminder when I get back in the Yeti to go home to physically check the tyre pressures before setting off.

My Warning light came on on Thursday. On initial inspection everything looked fine, but closer inspection revealed a small screw in one of my rear tyres. It had only lost a couple of PSI - really impressed with the monitor picking this up so soon (and the indi tyre shop I was passing that fixed it for a tenner).

At least the Yeti's TPM is not locking you out of your car. 

Been having a nose at the Volvo forum  :notme: and noted with interest that early production MY15 V40's, had some bizarre interference between the TPMS and the key remote, thus preventing it from unlocking the doors  :S

Hopefully its now resolved by the update, as I don't fancy being locked out in a downpour like we had the other night :no:

TP 

• 5 months later...

First puncture on Friday from a wood screw through the tyre on the outermost block. The tyre did not deflate, I happened to see it when alighting the car. On unscrewing it, the tyre was holed. New tyre fitted and old has sent back to the manufacturer for a pro repair because it still had 6mm tread.

The TPM activated on first drive because the new tyre was at 33psi, while other 3 at 28/29psi. All set to 30 and TPM is good.

Had one on the Octavia and found it very handy,unfortunately do not have it on the yeti as it would of come in handy when I picked up a nail/bolt on the m5 some months ago and the first time I was aware was when some kind motorist drew up alongside and pointed it out,I was completely unaware but by the time I stopped and checked it had deflated too much to drive and I was only about half a mile from the next service point,was thinking about a retro fit but haven't bothered yet.

All tyres are 28psi. Though I note they should be 30psi.

But I suppose that depends on the calibration of my gauge...I could say it's +- 5% which puts the figure close enough not to inflate them.

Mine are 2.2 Bar/32 psi Front and 2.1/31 psi Rear