Engine oil level low error, 7500 miles - top up oil

The manual states that oil depletion is to be expected, especially with a new car, however I was still surprised when the engine oil level low error showed up today, after 12000 km = 7500 miles.

The former cars I have owned could drive 20.000 km without oil depletion (maybe more - never got any warnings, but of course oil was changed at 20k km service.)..

Is this really to be expected with the Octavia?

Anyone else topped up engine oil this early?

maybe search?

Plenty of posts about it and it's even written about in the manual.

in short, oil usage when the negine is new is normal.  Even after it's run-in VW say that up to 500ml / 1000km oil usage is acceptable.   

Welcome to modern "fuel saving" engines & VW.

How often do you check your oil level with the dipstick?

It is good practice to check your oil level weekly & top up if necessary without waiting for the warning to avoid potential problems - what if the warning didn't show!!!

My Octy is almost 2 years old having had 1st service and I have just used the last of the freebie 1 litre of oil that came with the car.

• Like 1

I have had a MkII Octy 1.9TDi for getting on for 9 years - looking to replace this Autumn - I have never had to add any oil between services - every 10,000miles - I check the oil level from time to time, usually before we set off on a longer journey.

I was a bit surprised as the garage advised that it may well use some oil at first, but it never has. Perhaps just lucky?

It is good practice to check your oil level weekly & top up if necessary without waiting for the warning to avoid potential problems - what if the warning didn't show!!!

When I first got my car I checked the oil at every fuel fill (for me 10 days / 400miles).  After about 4 checks it wasn't moving much so I stretched it to monthly / 1200 miles.  These days i check it every 2-3 months.  The oil level drops about 4mm between services (5000 miles).

If I got another car tomorrow I'd go back to checking every fuel fill until I got a feel for how much oil the car uses.

I have had a MkII Octy 1.9TDi for getting on for 9 years - looking to replace this Autumn - I have never had to add any oil between services - every 10,000miles - I check the oil level from time to time, usually before we set off on a longer journey.

I was a bit surprised as the garage advised that it may well use some oil at first, but it never has. Perhaps just lucky?

good luck, driving conditions, type/brand of oil, the way the car was run-in.... many factors.

I'm quite sure 99% of drivers don't ever check their oil.

Hence why most manufacturers now fit level sensors to give the driver advanced warning the oil is getting low.

Same for tyre pressure although perhaps slightly more people check that themselves.

I've had my oil warning come on twice in the 10k & 18 months, that I've had my vRS and 1st was at around 7½k mark, so topped it up with about ¾ ltr of the oil supplied and all fine for about another 2k and got it again, just topped it with the last ¼ of the bottle and not had anything since.

The problem I have is that there's nowhere flat where we live, everywhere is on a tilt on one axis or another, so I could inadvertently overfill it, which could cause just as many issues as under filling. So I'll just add ½ ltr now and again to keep it happy or until such time as I can find somewhere where I can leave the car for a few hours on the level and then check it.

I've had my oil warning come on twice in the 10k & 18 months, that I've had my vRS and 1st was at around 7½k mark, so topped it up with about ¾ ltr of the oil supplied and all fine for about another 2k and got it again, just topped it with the last ¼ of the bottle and not had anything since.

The problem I have is that there's nowhere flat where we live, everywhere is on a tilt on one axis or another, so I could inadvertently overfill it, which could cause just as many issues as under filling. So I'll just add ½ ltr now and again to keep it happy or until such time as I can find somewhere where I can leave the car for a few hours on the level and then check it.

The service station where you buy fuel is on an excessive slope?

It doesn't have to be perfectly flat - just consistant

The service station where you buy fuel is on an excessive slope?

It doesn't have to be perfectly flat - just consistant

You have to wait for the engine to settle & cool to do it, otherwise you could overfill,

I don't have time to sit and a petrol station for an hour to let the oil level settle down and here in the UK if you were to try it you'd probably get a parking ticket or a visit from the old bill to question what you're up to.

• Like 1

Let it sit for a few minutes and most of the oil will be drained into the sump.  While it isn't ideal for comparison over time it's fine to see if there is plenty in there and top up to near full if you find it getting low.

You have to wait for the engine to settle & cool to do it, otherwise you could overfill,

I don't have time to sit and a petrol station for an hour to let the oil level settle down and here in the UK if you were to try it you'd probably get a parking ticket or a visit from the old bill to question what you're up to.

If the engine is warm then it only needs a couple of minutes drain-down - again, it's all about consistency.   VW even recommend that the oil is checked when warm (which goes against everything I was taught) - RTM.

Stop car / engine, fill with fuel, check oil.  If it's below the cross-hatch then add 500ml.