VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

I really don't like this long delay into 2016 before anything, whatever it may be, happens.

I was considering changing my Yeti before the warranty expires next March. It has been

the most reliable motor I have ever owned and that includes BMW, VW and Porsches.

I was going to look at the new BMW X1 but most likely would stick with Skoda.

However, this uncertainty is a little worrying to say the least. Who knows, the whole

shebang could go bust the way things are panning out with the VW ditherings!

The US boss of VW Michael Horn did a video to apologise to the US customers for the big "Screw Up". Would the UK boss of Skoda/VW do the same and apologise to us, the UK customers, now that we have confirmation of cars affected in the UK?

As the unfortunate owners of two affected cars (1.6 tdi and 2.0 tdi), I find this very disappointing.

We purchased these cars based on their power (for towing) and their good fuel economy.

If the recall repair affects either the power performance and/or the fuel economy then this affects us and changes the product we bought from them as it affects us financially and possibly what we can tow.

We are therefore well within our rights to ask for a resolution to this, whether this be compensation, a remap or something else.

Both our cars are still in warranty.

So I look forward to hearing what Skoda are planning on doing to resolve this.

I also am very interested in what they do to address any resulting loss in performance and fuel economy following any "fix".

Getting a rolling road BHP test done before and after may be one way of getting any notable changes in performance picked up - I am guessing - no expert here!   

Edited by branwell
  • Like 1

I'm sure the fix will lead to improved performance and economy, NOT!

I'm curious to know what the dealers are doing with their current stock of used cars on sale that have the affected engine.

Just carrying on as normal and selling them to unsuspecting punters? Maybe heavily discounting them and selling them

with some sort of disclaimer?

Going to call into to the Bath dealer today where I bought mine and take a look. No point in asking them what future recall

plans are as I guess they know only as much as I do, at least that is what they will say!

Branwell I also have 2 cars included in the scandal 1 skoda and 1 vw same 1.6 tdi 105 engine, it will be interesting how both manufacturers differ in they're approach to customer with this dilemma, if our cars differ in any way from when they where new I will expect a financial incentive to keep the cars or they can purchase them back at a favourable rate, so establishing the figures for your vehicle is needed I.e bhp,mpg,and torque these should stay the same or better IMO, if these criteria can not be met they (vw) will loose the will to survive, vw are going to loose so much sales now and in the future over this debarcle and the knock on effect will be many families linked to the vw group will loose they're jobs, homes etc, I don't care about the people at top of te food chain it's the minnows that put our cars together I'm worried about, it's really difficult to think which stable my next chariot will be coming from as possibly there are more marques using a similar or less complex system to cheat !

Being a bit of an ignoramus in the subject... is there such a thing as an independently accredited test centre which can test the cars bhp, mpg and torque?

If so I may be tempted to have this tested and documented on our cars before any recall fixes are performed.

By doing so I am establishing benchmark which to compare the performance after "fix" done to prove (or not as the case may be!) the car has changed for the worse.

It is possibly overkill but until VAG confirm what the fix will be I am thinking what will hold up best legally.

General

Production

02 Nov 2009 - 02 Nov 2012

Length

4199 mm

Width

2048 mm

Height

1479 mm

Weight

1269 kg

Fuel Delivery

Common rail

Transmission

Manual

Gears

5 Speed

Costs

MPG

74 mpg

Insurance Group

Euro Emissions Standard

CO2 Emissions

99 g/km

VED Band

A

View company car tax costs

Compare this car to others

Performance

Engine Size

1598 cc

Cylinders

-

0-60 mph

10.9 secs

Top Speed

118 mph

Power Output

103 bhp

Valves

-

Torque

250 Nm 185 lb-ft

Practicality

Wheelbase

2578 mm

Luggage Capacity

350 litres

Fuel Capacity

55 litres

Turning Circle

10 m

Unbraked Towing Weight

650 kg

Braked Towing Weight

1400 kg

Mine

Is it possible the whole thing could become a non event, if recalls are optional and there is no penalty for leaving your vehicle as is. This could amount to a heafty fine and a 'don't do it again'

From a political/economic view VAG is just to big a cash cow in Europe. My guess is that will carry a lot of weight with regards to any actions against them.

There is a lack of coherent technical information as far as I can see. The documentation describing the operation of the "defeat device" software referred to it increasing the levels of urea injected into the systems to reduce emissions during the test. What was the software doing, then, in cars without AdBlue?

I'm not sure I've seen an answer to that question. Therefore, whilst that software might be in generic ECUs across the EA189 engines, why is it assumed there's an impact to testing on engines without AdBlue?

My 2012 Blackline VRS Octavia is affected. No surprises there. My dad's 1.6 105 bhp MK3 Octavia isn't though which did surprise me.

if Skoda do offer a good deal on a replacement car as a sweetener to this fiasco, who's to say that the US lawyers won't bankrupt the VAG group. You'll then have a car without any official support network etc. You just have to look at BP - $20 billion in fines! When foreign companies breach environmental laws in the US the fines are almost limitless.

Well despite all of this.. it looks like Mk3 Fabias are not affected in the slightest as they are Euro6 and 3 cylinder.. therefore presumably no cheat software needed.. which if it had been installed, I'd insisted Skoda/VW Group pay off the remaining balance on my vehicle.. given everyone who has the cheat software switched off when they take it back to the dealers next year will be liable for Road Tax given the emissions will be higher and fall out of the band they are currently in.  a reason I bought mine was for no tax.. so therefore it would have been a clear breach of contract if it were re-classified.. anyhow. no recall for me. phew!

Looks like the brown stuff is really hitting the fan big time in Germany with the latest reported raids

on VW offices and US requests for extradition. This could definitely run and run. Going to get very messy!

Looks like VW Group is currently advised by those professional crisis consultants to buy as much time as they can with the hope that emotion would subside. Our UK Government does it perfectly by long drawn out enquires; look at Chilcot's. As customers of Skoda/VW, especially those directly affected like myself, we would lanswers yesterday hence why we are here in this forum to share information and feeling. Personally I think VW Group should deal with this very swiftly to avoid fuelling more anger and speculations. I hope they don't underestimate the power of social media these days.

Can anyone suggest what the owner might stand to gain from getting this fix? What might it fix? As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with my car and we already know the tax band is fixed. 

Can anyone suggest what the owner might stand to gain from getting this fix? What might it fix? As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with my car and we already know the tax band is fixed. 

In the UK? Very little at all.

In California you won't be able to sell the car until it's been fixed, and it won't be allowed to pass the emissions tests with the cheat still in place so you won't be able to use it.

• Like 1

Hello,

I own a Superb 140 tdi Estate, and when I change it in eighteen months I fully intend to purchase another one, that would be the third Superb that I will have had.

In the UK? Very little at all.

In California you won't be able to sell the car until it's been fixed, and it won't be allowed to pass the emissions tests with the cheat still in place so you won't be able to use it.

I read that VW are even considering refunding US customers the full retail value of the car. That will potentially cost them

far more than they have set aside for this. Won't apply to the UK of course but it could bust VW!

I read that VW are even considering refunding US customers the full retail value of the car. That will potentially cost them

far more than they have set aside for this. Won't apply to the UK of course but it could bust VW!

No it won't.

There was only half a million cars in the US so even if they refunded all of them at an average of $15000 that's $7.5 Billion.

That'll wipe out a year or so's profit but won't be the end of VW.

No it won't.

There was only half a million cars in the US so even if they refunded all of them at an average of $15000 that's $7.5 Billion.

That'll wipe out a year or so's profit but won't be the end of VW.

Thanks for that. I wonder what they would do with all those recovered motors, bound to be a market somewhere.