VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

518 posts in this topic

Tl;dr In summary, do not panic, there is no immediate danger or risk in using your vehicle, it is still safe and roadworthy. For the moment be patient wait for a physical action plan and contact / vin checker to come online ~ circa October. Dealers at the moment cannot fix your car, nor advise much beyond this release as far as we know.

What follows is the full release, many of you will of seen this yesterday in various forms. Fair to say this is an evolving response, one we don't expect to see 'action' on your car till early November.

Full Release from VW Group UK.

Volkswagen Group UK announces action plan to modify diesel vehicles with EA 189 EU5 engines 30/09/2015
  • New vehicles with EU6 engines currently available not affected.
  • All petrol models, as well as V6 TDI and V8 TDI models unaffected.
  • Technical solutions being developed and will be presented to responsible authorities before end of October.

Milton Keynes, September 30, 2015 – Volkswagen Group UK is announcing its action plan to correct the emissions characteristics of certain diesel vehicles.​

In the coming days, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) details of affected cars will be released to retailers. In addition, a self-serve process for customers to check if their vehicle is affected will be set up.

Step by step, affected customers will be contacted, with details of a process to get their vehicles corrected in the near future. In the meantime, all vehicles are technically safe and roadworthy.

Under the action plan, the Volkswagen Group brands whose vehicles are affected will present the technical solutions and measures to relevant responsible authorities in October.

Customers with these vehicles will be kept informed over the coming weeks and months.

All of the Group brands affected will set up national websites to update customers on developments.

The specific numbers of vehicles in the UK affected per brand are as follows:

• Volkswagen Passenger Cars – 508,276
  • Audi – 393,450
  • SEAT – 76,773
  • ŠKODA – 131,569
  • Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles – 79,838

Volkswagen Group UK is committed to supporting its customers and its retailers through the coming weeks.

-- Ends --

1 person likes this

While they clearly state that EA189 engines are affected, and Euro 6 engines aren't, there's a gap in between for Euro 5 EA288 engines.

According to the VIN checker above, my 2.0 TDI Octavia Mk3 with a Euro 5 CKFC Engine has no recall listed so far, so hopefully that will be the case for other people.

Sure I read somewhere when checking out codes for my July reg 20 TDI DSG Elegance that the CKFC engine fitted was rated Euro 5 +

It is, but it's missing the Rapid up to 2015, which also uses an EA189.

It seems the vin checker is not upto date, says  no recall on 2012 octy greenline 2 :thumbdown: does anyone at VAG no whats going on or what to do about it  :wall: 

I get the impression V A G think if they replace the software, they have solved the problem. As far as I am concerned they will be mistaken. I was misled when I bought my car when new by being told supposed facts and chose what I did because of the stated emissions and CONSEQUENTLY the amount of the Road Tax at least and the likely retained value of the vehicle in due course. So whatever upward changes there are to any costs I incur as the result of V A G's lies and deceit I will expect compensation of a financial nature and ongoing if necessary. I assume other deceived purchasers feel the same?

2 people like this

Lets just wait and see what the proposed "fix" is first, shall we?

Reading this morning that it's unclear if the defeat device is on euro models.

"The Volkswagen Group admits it has yet to establish whether the illegal cheat software on cars equipped with its EA189 engine was enabled during the tests that determine official emissions figures for Europe."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vw-doesnt-know-if-cars-cheated-european-tests

Our Euro 5 NOx limits are nowhere near as tight as the Californian ones, so it may not have been needed. 
That would be very good news for owners, as there will be no changes to vehicle performance.

Yesterday morning, I keyed in my Superb 170 Tdi into http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions and got a response that my car was subject of a recall. Later in the day, I tried again and got a response that there was no recall against my car.

I've just tried again and it seems I can only input 16 of the 17 characters in the VIN.

Anyone else had this or might it be an iPad thing?

John

Yesterday morning, I keyed in my Superb 170 Tdi into http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions and got a response that my car was subject of a recall. Later in the day, I tried again and got a response that there was no recall against my car.

I've just tried again and it seems I can only input 16 of the 17 characters in the VIN.

Anyone else had this or might it be an iPad thing?

John

Last night I posted on Simpson Skoda's Facebook page and got an almost immediate response.  The reply promised to have someone call me back today.  I've just had a call from Simon, the Service Manager.  My Superb is one of the vehicles covered by the recall but as yet Simpsons have no details as to what form the modification will take.

I have total trust and confidence in the fact that as soon as they know something they will be in touch.  

John

I get the impression V A G think if they replace the software, they have solved the problem. As far as I am concerned they will be mistaken. I was misled when I bought my car when new by being told supposed facts and chose what I did because of the stated emissions and CONSEQUENTLY the amount of the Road Tax at least and the likely retained value of the vehicle in due course. So whatever upward changes there are to any costs I incur as the result of V A G's lies and deceit I will expect compensation of a financial nature and ongoing if necessary. I assume other deceived purchasers feel the same?

Here you go:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-confirms-consumers-who-bought-vehicles-in-good-faith-will-not-incur-additional-tax-costs

What other emissions did you base your buying decision on, apart from the ones that hit you in the pocket?

I think the real problem here is not emissions or costs on their own, but a major manufacturer quite happy to deceive, cheat and commit, potentially, criminal acts of deception upon their clients. The individuals belief about the cars performance etc, is a side show. The main issue is VW being dishonest.That will take some forgiving round the world.........and very rightly so..........

2 people like this

Hi all, Skoda have put a VIN checker on their website for owners to check if their Skoda Diesel is affected with the cheat software, follow the link below.

Dear Mod's, I have started this thread as the thread in the general area has got out of control and the link has got lost in it, plus I have found a lot of Superb owners haven't looked at that thread, it will possibly be more helpful if it is left in our forum, cheers

http://skoda-recallactions.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

Checked my 170 2.0TDi 4x4 and it got the all clear, thankfully!

Edited by yesman
1 person likes this

My 2013 170 CR 4x4 came up positive.

Mines a 2009 so probably just on the cusp!

It seems the vin checker is not upto date, says  no recall on 2012 octy greenline 2 :thumbdown: does anyone at VAG no whats going on or what to do about it  :wall:

Deffo not accurate, I changed an "O" for a zero and it still recognised it saying no issues! I thought it would spot it but hey-ho

1 person likes this

My 2010 170 4x4 came up positive. I'm not sure yet, but I just might leave it as it is.