Engine coolant low and possibly leaking

harpix42

Hello,

In December 2014 my red engine light came on and my engine temperature gauge was very high.

I looked under the bonnet and found that my red engine coolant had mysteriously fallen below the low level line. 

I'm not sure what happened next but I believe I topped it up with water and then later on I potentially added about 300mls of antifreeze from a bottle of blue BS 6580 Antifreeze. Although I can't remember if I did this I recently found a bottle of the antifreeze stuff in my car and I can see i've used some of it?!?

I then had a Major service in January 2015 at Halfords which I believe involves replacing the engine coolant.

Now back to the present: last week I was looking under my car bonnet by chance and I have noticed the red coolant level is below the minimum line again. 

And I have a few questions if that's ok:

1) Can I top up the engine coolant with my bottle of blue BS 6580 Antifreeze even though my coolant is red at the moment? And do i need to add water to adjust the concentration?

2) Presumably Halfords replaced my engine coolant in Jan 2015... would it be normal for it to drop below the minimum line in 18 months?

3) Should I investigate a leak at this stage or just top it up and see what happens?

Hope you don't mind all the questions, and thanks in advance for any replies.

I've attached some photos in case that helps.

Thanks,

James

post-147503-0-76058900-1474972748_thumb.jpg

post-147503-0-05701800-1474972749_thumb.jpg

post-147503-0-28802700-1474972749_thumb.jpg

Edited by harpix42

You should certainly try to find the leak, it is very unlikely to fix itself, and normal is to lose no coolant at all.

Can you not find out whether Halfords really replaced the coolant? Maybe they just topped up with water, lazily. I doubt even a major service would replace coolant unless specifically stated.

I wouldn't mix the blue with the red, when you can acquire some that is the correct type and reddish-purple for very little outlay, e.g. here.  Accounts differ as to whether mixing different colours matters, I personally doubt it.

If you want some help locating the leak, we appear to be geographically close, drop me a PM.

Edited by Wino

Also, the radiator thermoswitch seems to be prone to leaking at this age, which can be fixed just by tightening it up a little, I've found on both my Polo and the missus's Fabia. I have a feeling a few radiators get replaced unnecessarily due to this being missed.

You should certainly try to find the leak, it is very unlikely to fix itself, and normal is to lose no coolant at all.

Can you not find out whether Halfords really replaced the coolant? Maybe they just topped up with water, lazily. I doubt even a major service would replace coolant unless specifically stated.

I wouldn't mix the blue with the red, when you can acquire some that is the correct type and reddish-purple for very little outlay, e.g. here.  Accounts differ as to whether mixing different colours matters, I personally doubt it.

If you want some help locating the leak, we appear to be geographically close, drop me a PM.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I know I got a "Major service" at a Halfords and it clearly states on their website that it includes a coolant change. I've got the documentation from the service but it only discusses the amber faults.

As for buying engine coolant, what do you think about this as its already pre-mixed and cheap!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Purple-Antifreeze-Coolant-Triple-QX-Long-Life-G13-5-Litre-Ltr-Ready-Mix-/400619875461?hash=item5d46ce2c85

Thanks for offering to help, that's very kind. I think I'll top it up and see what happens. If it falls again at all I'll be in touch.

Also, thank you to everyone else for their replies!

James

Mixing colours simply means it is no longer possible to accurately determine mixture strength using a refractometer because you've changed the refractive index of the mixture, if you don't know what this is then you probably don't use one and it doesn't matter, main dealers use them, you can't accurately mix coolant for a particular application without one. It's all Ethylene Glycol based and is completely and safely miscible, panicking about mixing colours is as stupid as worrying about mixing two different coloured part tins of emulsion paint together to create your own unique shade, it's not going to explode but you won't be able to duplicate it if you run out!

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I know I got a "Major service" at a Halfords and it clearly states on their website that it includes a coolant change. I've got the documentation from the service but it only discusses the amber faults.

As for buying engine coolant, what do you think about this as its already pre-mixed and cheap!: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-Purple-Antifreeze-Coolant-Triple-QX-Long-Life-G13-5-Litre-Ltr-Ready-Mix-/400619875461?hash=item5d46ce2c85

Thanks for offering to help, that's very kind. I think I'll top it up and see what happens. If it falls again at all I'll be in touch.

Also, thank you to everyone else for their replies!

James

Bear in mind that leaked/spilled antifreeze kills pets, particularly cats I think, if they come across it and give it a lick.

I don't see why it would stop leaking without positive action.

Which engine type does your Fabia have by the way?

Thanks again for all the help.

The engine is a 1.2L Petrol engine.

Perhaps I could take you up on your offer of some help fixing the leak? I live in the cowley area.

I'm going to buy some of the ready mixed stuff and top it up for now.

Thanks again,

James

How?

Blue anti freeze contains silicates and phosphates as it's corrosion inhibitor. The pink/red antifreeze uses organic acids as its corrosion inhibitor. The two don't mix and the organic acids cause precipitation of the silicate which can reduce the overall corrosion protection

• Like 2

Blue anti freeze contains silicates and phosphates as it's corrosion inhibitor. The pink/red antifreeze uses organic acids as its corrosion inhibitor. The two don't mix and the organic acids cause precipitation of the silicate which can reduce the overall corrosion protection

AIUI, in some cases that can sludge up the base of the radiator?

AIUI, in some cases that can sludge up the base of the radiator?

That is also my "play it safe" understanding and the very reason why both chemistry types use differing colours, also, why are not all antifreezes treated with Bittrix(sp) to stop moggies stealing it? (I'd expect all the proper ones are treated with Bittrix(sp))

Edited by rum4mo

That is also my "play it safe" understanding and the very reason why both chemistry types use differing colours, also, why are not all antifreezes treated with Bittrix(sp) to stop moggies stealing it? (I'd expect all the proper ones are treated with Bittrix(sp))

Agreed; also I asked here specifically because I think Lee knows more about the chemistry involved than I do.

Ok so engine coolants in summary

red (G12) and purple (G13) are very similar but purple is more environmentally friendly, both last 5 years

red and purple can be mixed safely??

Blue lasts for 2 years and while it can technically be mixed with red/purple your radiator is at increased risk of corrosion and you shouldn't really do it

How does that sound??

Ok so engine coolants in summary

red (G12) and purple (G13) are very similar but purple is more environmentally friendly, both last 5 years

red and purple can be mixed safely??

Blue lasts for 2 years and while it can technically be mixed with red/purple your radiator is at increased risk of corrosion and you shouldn't really do it

How does that sound??

Eminently reasonable, for topping up purposes anything is preferable to plain tap water.

How does this work then:

http://www.coolantexperts.com/coolant_overview/hybrid_coolant