which phone?

MacFadyin

Just collectedCombi with amongst other goodies, Phonebox. 

Unfortunately I can't get my HTC One Maxi to hook up with this. It's also a bit battered and worn.

What would be the best Phone to buy to replace it and take advantage of cordless charging etc.?

I currently have the Nexus 6 and love QI charging. I just hope the Pixel XL announcement next week features QI charging. I will be upgrading to a Pixel XL and don't want to have to get a QI case.

• Like 1

I currently have the Nexus 6 and love QI charging. I just hope the Pixel XL announcement next week features QI charging. I will be upgrading to a Pixel XL and don't want to have to get a QI case.

Sounds like the Pixel won't be as good as the Nexus devices..I have a nexus 6 at the moment and it's great but I'm hankering for something new!

Sounds like the Pixel won't be as good as the Nexus devices..I have a nexus 6 at the moment and it's great but I'm hankering for something new!

I am wanting something new too. If the Pixel XL does not look good in Tuesdays Google event, then I will have to buy a Nexus 6P. I can't go back to non-stock android.

Only other option would be the OnePlus 3

• Like 1

I am wanting something new too. If the Pixel XL does not look good in Tuesdays Google event, then I will have to buy a Nexus 6P. I can't go back to non-stock android.

Closest to vanilla Android is offered by Motorola.

I've just bought a Motorola moto g4 from Amazon. £150 sim free and does all the stuff the expensive smart phones do at a fraction of the price. Has expandable memory up to 128gb with a micro SD card which is awesome

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a Motorola moto g4 from Amazon. £150 sim free and does all the stuff the expensive smart phones do at a fraction of the price. Has expandable memory up to 128gb with a micro SD card which is awesome

I've been looking at this phone too but it's too big... won't fit in my pocket! (Maybe I need bigger pockets!)

Edited by slicendice

I downsized my phone. Got an Apple SE with the 4" screen.

Can't say I miss the big screen really and it's far more convenient for pockets etc.

Same guts as a 6 so it's all nippy enough and the without the big screen the battery life is much better.

I'm not a great fan of Google or droid tbh. I actually prefer the Windows phone OS but that was a dead end.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

I have an old-ish Galaxy 6Edge and it's turned out to be a tough old thing (well 18 months old :D) It's been dropped several times and even though I've smashed one case the phone is fine. It supports wilreless charging, is pretty tough, goesall day on a charge - with moderate use- and looks seriously lovely :) The 7 Edge is better in most ways. 

Phones these days all seem to do the same stuff, have similar sized screens (with way too much resolution to be appreciated), and enough power for most applications and then some. For me, it comes down to how does the phone look externally and the screen quality (the Edge series are good fun in my book) and price. Things like Micro SD are a bonus :) 

I still can't being myself to upgrade my Galaxy Note 3 as it works perfectly, still looks good and has been pretty tough over the 2-3 years I've owned it (it's been dropped quite a few times- but I have a tempered glass screen protector on and rubber gel case).

I have an official Samsung back cover on it that provides wireless charging.

Lovely 5.7" AMOLED screen, Swappable batteries (I carry a spare in my wallet), micro SD, 3GB ram, 32GB storage, decent 2.3 GHZ quad processor, S-pen. You can pick them up nice and cheap now but still run any app/game you throw at it.

• Like 1

I have an old-ish Galaxy 6Edge and it's turned out to be a tough old thing (well 18 months old :D) It's been dropped several times and even though I've smashed one case the phone is fine. It supports wilreless charging, is pretty tough, goesall day on a charge - with moderate use- and looks seriously lovely :) The 7 Edge is better in most ways. 

Phones these days all seem to do the same stuff, have similar sized screens (with way too much resolution to be appreciated), and enough power for most applications and then some. For me, it comes down to how does the phone look externally and the screen quality (the Edge series are good fun in my book) and price. Things like Micro SD are a bonus :)

I have the S7 (non edge) and its great. Love the fact that they listened to users and added back the micro SD - got a 128GB card in mine now (was an offer I couldn't refuse as it was a mail in freebie).

The battery life seems the best I can remember in recent years with being able to get about 2 days out of a charge without babying it. Not tried the wireless charging yet (might do in the future though)

• Like 1

I have the S7 (non edge) and its great. Love the fact that they listened to users and added back the micro SD - got a 128GB card in mine now (was an offer I couldn't refuse as it was a mail in freebie).

The battery life seems the best I can remember in recent years with being able to get about 2 days out of a charge without babying it. Not tried the wireless charging yet (might do in the future though)

Not so much listened to customers as - the guy in charge, who hated SD cards, left to join Xiaomi.

Hence Xiaomi phones not having micro SD for a couple of years. I suspect the guy has now moved on, as card slots have suddenly appeared on the latest Xiaomi phones.

For the price, you can't beat the Oneplus?3. Almost stock Android, similar to CM.

Although there are a few rom options, none of which effect warranty and all with comprehensive guides.

My work S7 feels sluggish in comparison. This most likely down to touchwiz knobbling it.

Dash charge has changed my charging habits for sure.

Edited by biomulv
  • Like 1

Not so much listened to customers as - the guy in charge, who hated SD cards, left to join Xiaomi.

Hence Xiaomi phones not having micro SD for a couple of years. I suspect the guy has now moved on, as card slots have suddenly appeared on the latest Xiaomi phones.

Samsung dropping sd slots is more about making devices smaller. An sd slot adds over 1mm (nearly 2) to the thickness which isn't desirable when competing with Apple.

Plus the hefty mark up on flash memory charging punters for the bigger capacity model.

Given Samsung make sd cards, I think your personal assumptions are very wide of reality.

Likewise Google and Apple shun sd cards for selling a bigger phone, and selling cloud storage upgrades - again at a nice premium

I always find it funny that Apple make a beautiful slim phone and then everyone installs it in a giant rubber brick to make it twice the size of any other comparable phone. My 6 Edge in it's full clam cover case is half the depth of most 'protected' apples of a similar age that I see. 

I always find it funny that Apple make a beautiful slim phone and then everyone installs it in a giant rubber brick to make it twice the size of any other comparable phone. My 6 Edge in it's full clam cover case is half the depth of most 'protected' apples of a similar age that I see.

Broken screens are expensive. All my phones have full cases from new

Broken screens are expensive. All my phones have full cases from new

I get that, it just seems a shame when such a beautifully made phone is hidden from view. I'm no Apple lover, but their phones are a lovely thing to behold :) I liked the way Samsung made a thin phone but used plastic bodies, after all they too were hidden in a case. Then the press went on and on about the build quality, so now Sammy do the S6/7/Edge with a glass back and it is a lovely thing too...except it ends up in a case! Doh!!

Samsung dropping sd slots is more about making devices smaller. An sd slot adds over 1mm (nearly 2) to the thickness which isn't desirable when competing with Apple.

Plus the hefty mark up on flash memory charging punters for the bigger capacity model.

Given Samsung make sd cards, I think your personal assumptions are very wide of reality.

Likewise Google and Apple shun sd cards for selling a bigger phone, and selling cloud storage upgrades - again at a nice premium

Balls, My Umi Zero was 6.4mm thick aluminium - thinner than any contemporary plastic, sd'less Sammy or iJob, yet had dual SIm and microsd. The ex head of Samsung phone development is on record as despising sd cards in phones, and the date of his leaving for Xiaomi are public records, as are the specs of the phones before, during and after his time at BOTH companies.