Anyone else have these problems?

I own a Škoda Superb III Laurin & Klement 2.0TDI (190) DSG 4x4 which I collected new from the dealer in April 2016.

Overall this is a good car, however, in my opinion, it is let down by some poor quality parts and assembly, mostly on the interior. Without doubt built to a much lower standard than you expect from a "flagship" car costing around £37,000. To the point that I regret buying the car.

The car has been back to the dealer a few times but nothing has really been fixed.

I have been reading various posts on this forum and it would seem that I am not the only one experiencing many of these rattles/noises.

I intend to contact Škoda UK next rather than the local dealer as so far they seem rather incapable/unwilling to resolving these issues. I would like to if possible be able to show Škoda UK that it's not only me who is experiencing these issues.

If you would like to help please reply to this post listing the numbers of any of the problems below that you also have with your car and what variant of the Superb III you have?

I will keep the list below updated by adding names below each problem number that applies to your car.

So, here's a list of the main annoyances with my car:

1. Rattle/Vibration/Buzzing from central portion of dash board. This usually occurs when under constant load between 1500-2000rpm. Škoda technicians attempted to repair twice but made no difference.

2. Rattle from glove box, occurring when driving over slightly bumpy road surfaces.

3. Rattle/Vibration from engine at revs between 1500-2500rpm. This seems to be worse when the engine is cold. I believe this is coming from the plastic timing belt cover which feels rather poorly attached and rattles if you tap it. Škoda technicians say this is how it should be attached.

4. Door seals squeaking/creaking. This was improved by Škoda technicians adjusting the door strike plates so when the doors shut it will compress the seals more. Unfortunately this meant the doors no longer lined up and looked like a poor accident repair. Next visit to Škoda dealer I asked them to line up the doors to the panels to which the told me the squeaking/creaking would come back which I obviously said is not good enough, they said I can't have both!?

5. Rattle from around the seatbelt height adjusters on B pillars, both sides but passenger side is worse, occurs most of the time.

6. Chrome trim around door exterior coming away from the door in a number of places. I heard a loud tapping noise the other day whilst driving, looked in my mirror to see about 300mm of the chrome strip on the rear passenger door flapping about in the wind, have pressed it back in for now.

• Like 1

Have you looked at this thread? most if not all seem to be covered, the chrome trim is a common issue and there is a recall to glue the door seals to the doors (which in turn stops the trims from moving and then fouling each other.  

My car is perfect with no squeaks, rattles or vibrations at all, nothing loose or gone wrong (I thought the heated rear window had stopped working but I was mistaken) and for £38,000 I consider it a bargain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Škoda Superb III Laurin & Klement 2.0TDI (190) DSG 4x4 which I collected new from the dealer in April 2016.

Overall this is a good car, however, in my opinion, it is let down by some poor quality parts and assembly, mostly on the interior. Without doubt built to a much lower standard than you expect from a "flagship" car costing around £37,000. To the point that I regret buying the car.

The car has been back to the dealer a few times but nothing has really been fixed.

I have been reading various posts on this forum and it would seem that I am not the only one experiencing many of these rattles/noises.

I intend to contact Škoda UK next rather than the local dealer as so far they seem rather incapable/unwilling to resolving these issues. I would like to if possible be able to show Škoda UK that it's not only me who is experiencing these issues.

If you would like to help please reply to this post listing the numbers of any of the problems below that you also have with your car and what variant of the Superb III you have?

I will keep the list below updated by adding names below each problem number that applies to your car.

So, here's a list of the main annoyances with my car:

1. Rattle/Vibration/Buzzing from central portion of dash board. This usually occurs when under constant load between 1500-2000rpm. Škoda technicians attempted to repair twice but made no difference.

2. Rattle from glove box, occurring when driving over slightly bumpy road surfaces.

3. Rattle/Vibration from engine at revs between 1500-2500rpm. This seems to be worse when the engine is cold. I believe this is coming from the plastic timing belt cover which feels rather poorly attached and rattles if you tap it. Škoda technicians say this is how it should be attached.

4. Door seals squeaking/creaking. This was improved by Škoda technicians adjusting the door strike plates so when the doors shut it will compress the seals more. Unfortunately this meant the doors no longer lined up and looked like a poor accident repair. Next visit to Škoda dealer I asked them to line up the doors to the panels to which the told me the squeaking/creaking would come back which I obviously said is not good enough, they said I can't have both!?

5. Rattle from around the seatbelt height adjusters on B pillars, both sides but passenger side is worse, occurs most of the time.

6. Chrome trim around door exterior coming away from the door in a number of places. I heard a loud tapping noise the other day whilst driving, looked in my mirror to see about 300mm of the chrome strip on the rear passenger door flapping about in the wind, have pressed it back in for now.

I have most of these, except for the chrome trim and door seals.

The seatbelt adjuster on mine can be solved by moving it to its highest position.

The glovebox will rattle if it is not latched properly, i.e. apply pressure to both sides (especially the left) to makes sure the lug engages. If it's not closed firmly from the centre on mine, the left lug does not engage with the corresponding hole and rattles.

The dealer fixed the vibration when cold by tightening the block attached to the bulkhead at the rear of the engine compartment to the left of the red and yellow connectors (I don't know what it does) with a cable-tie. I believe a modified part is also available.

The dashboard vibration between 1500-2000rpm under load when hot has not been fixed, depite five attempts by the dealer! This is the most annoying... I'm going to try Skoda Customer Services next.

I have no issues at all really, yes minor sqeaks and rattles but nothing major and nothing that puts me off the car or can't be solved by turning the radio up!

Edited by Coops

I have 3 problems:

1. Rattle of the glove box, solved by using a little adhesive felt to absorb the vibration and make the compartment close more tightly.

2. Chrome trip of driver's door coming off. I pushed it in hard and it seems to stay in place now.

3. Other cars rattle when I overtake them. Nothing I can do about this :biggrin:

After 12 months and 9k only two issues:

• Poor front windscreen washers
  • Minor rattle from glove box over uneven surfaces

Neither is bothering me enough to consider booking it in to get looked.

Other than that it's great! :)

After 12 months and 9k only two issues:

• Poor front windscreen washers
  • Minor rattle from glove box over uneven surfaces

Neither is bothering me enough to consider booking it in to get looked.

Other than that it's great! :)

5 minutes to replace the front windscreen washers with these and problem solved! 

Full spray pattern just like most other modern cars.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X7D4QO8

Edited by micloi

16 hours ago, micloi said:

5 minutes to replace the front windscreen washers with these and problem solved! 

Thanks for the link, I'm going to order some.

Just before I do though, did you buy these exact ones? How long did they take to arrive (from china?)?

Edited by r08shaw

16 hours ago, micloi said:

Heated fan washers for VW, Audi and Skoda are ridiculously priced.  I went for a pair of (original) Lamborghini ones instead at a cost of £15 :biggrin:.  They have the same part numbers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Heated fan washers for VW, Audi and Skoda are ridiculously priced.  I went for a pair of (original) Lamborghini ones instead at a cost of £15 :biggrin:.  They have the same part numbers. 

Mine are non-heated, thus the £7

I paid for the set :) 

36 minutes ago, r08shaw said:

Thanks for the link, I'm going to order some.

Just before I do though, did you buy these exact ones? How long did they take to arrive (from china?)?

Yes, these exact ones, took approximately 10 days if I am not mistaken.

Mine is back at the dealer for its first service - and another attempt to fix the creaks and rattles. If there is any low speed flex the sunroof / camera area creaks really badly - I long for a hard frost as at least when the sunroof is frozen it doesn't creak, in addition over low speed undulations (typical urban roads) the rattles from the dash and door trims are a distraction.. but get it on a smooth motorway (which is most of my mileage) and its as quiet as anything - the golf they have loaned me in comparison has a huge amount of wind and road noise round the doors and in the footwell, and has a dreadful ride (too firm but with poor damping) in comparison - only positive about the golf is that despite very cheap looking plastic trim the dashboard is rock solid compared to the skoda.

The other issue I have is a leather seat that started creasing badly at 4000 Km and is looking very sorry for itself at 28000 km... leather is too thin on the side bolsters I think.

Otherwise apart from an occasionally intermittent Bluetooth connection, and a temperamental sign recognition camera its fine.

Hopefully the dealer can sort the issues but if not then I'll put it down to experience (its my first skoda) and pay a visit to these guys and get the job done properly..https://www.deadening.co.uk/ - either that get someone to bond the sunroof in place so it can't creak :)

I hope that the sound deadening works out. I tried to quieten my Focus down but it made hardly any difference. 

Maybe getting the company to fit it could work out better, but I think if it's not done at the factory it's extremely difficult to make much difference.

I have had a number of issues to the point I am talking to Skoda for compensation. As with the brake sticking on and the condensation / misting the car was becoming undrivable.

Radio - various issues
Columbus screen freezing
Drivers Seat overheating with burning smell, then not working
Heating not working
Automatic handbrake not releasing
Quality of sound via the speakers being shocking, sound being worse that a Dr Who Dalek
Condensation - levels inside that results in water running down the inside of the windows, I had to stop the car and clear the windows, only the heated windscreen allowed me to see forward.
Metical sound upon cold start, with petrol engine sometimes sounding like a diesel.

After 15 years, 9 cars and about 100k in deals I have had enough and prepared to take it to court. Dealer has been great, but Skoda UK Customer Services are a joke, with the so what attitudes. 

IMAG1167.jpg

IMAG1173.jpg

Rufusmcc

you have a definite water ingress problem

does your car have a pan roof ?...blocked drains ..?

please check the boot for water ....leaking through rear lights or poss pipe from pan roof..if you have one

how old is yours car ?

do you park under trees?.....have been known to block drainage under wiper scuttle panel and force water into car through heater fan and into car through lower heater vents.....

do you do short runs regularly?

that amount of condensation is water ingress somewhere ....

Do you have a dehumidifier as this is the only way you will dry your car out fully.....

ive seen this a few times in my 29 year in the windscreen fitting trade water is your enemy inside a car they suck it up like a sponge and it only takes a very small amount over a period of time to cause mega problems

cheers

Mark

Edited by Windscreenman
Correction

Windscreenman,

It's a software or mutiplex issue. At times the car has a mind of its own. Automatic brake won't release, radio changes channel by its self. Seats over heating. I think the condensation and misting is down to the recirculation flaps closing. Skoda view was that it was either ,1) I had washed the car, 2) it was because I was playing football 30 minutes earlier, yes they did say this, 3) it was because of direct sunlight, well at 8:45 pm in Scotland during late November there is not much sun about.

In the end I have accepted my dealer offer to buy the car back, but I have lost thousands, didn't mind losing the monthly payments, but deposit lost too. There was an offer of a good deal to buy another car of same spec, but it I took that as an insult. It is like me paying 3k to Skoda to fix the faults. 

Starting to think that I should now take this to a court. Sad as I said before over 15 years, 9 cars and spending about 100k great how they look after you in time of need.

have you tried reading the manual about air recirculation... it is a check in the software dont remember how is called and you can tick it on or off... think automated recirculation... try it

Edited by Corbu33

• 1 year later...

I can fully sympathise with MarkMoran87.  I bought a Skoda Superb Elegance in November 2015 and have so many issues with it.

1)  When accelerating or braking, any change in the road surface creates a loud bang on the front passenger side, it can be felt under the passenger's footwell.  Skoda dealer had it back 3 times and 'glued' the driveshaft into the hub.  After much discussion with Skoda UK, they agreed to change the drive shafts, but not the hubs.  Still unresolved.  It is the sort of noise that you get if an engine mount has gone.  Some skoda owners have had issues where the transport protection blocks (or whatever they are) we not removed at PDI stage.  I can't believe that this is the case with mine, as it has been to 4 different Skoda dealers now, and surely one of them would have picked it up!

2)  The metal window trims staring shifting, so that when you opened the front doors, it pulled the chrome trim out.  Again after many calls and visits to dealers, I found that Skoda had done a modification and had to wait for them to come in to stock, as the new parts, with new numbers wer showing zero stock.

3)  Passenger side  electric mirror stopped working.  Replaced under warranty

4)  Passenger side rear boot strut failed.  Replaced under warranty.

5)  Regularly stalls at very low speed, e.g. manouevering, especially when cold.  Not resolved

6)  Vibration in centre console area behind SatNav.  Skoda dealer says this is probably caused by uninsulated aircon pipes touching slightly.  Unresolved, I don't know if they checked it or not.

7)  Engine flat spots.  Sometimes it responds very crisply when you accelerate.  Other times, you depress the accelerator, and nothing happens.  Until eventually, something triggers, and you increase speed way beyond what you need or expected.  This is normally when accelerating from 30mph ish.

8)  Low speed engine bay rattle at 1500-2500 rpm.  This could be the timing belt cover as you suggest.  (It sounds like what loose tappets used to in days gone by) One dealership reckoned it was the water pump.  Still unresolved.

In the end, in sheer desperation I found the email addresses of the MD of Skoda international, and Skoda UK.  I got a reply within 24 hours from the PA of one of them, saying that they would do all they could to get to the bottom of the problem, the main one being #1 above.  I pleaded with her to get it taken back to be looked at by senior people at HO, but she said I had to go through the dealer route first.  I said I'd done that multiple times at multiple dealerships already, but she said it would have to be done that way.  So I did.  The dealer said that as another dealer had already looked at the issue before, and had done work on it, they couldn't get involved and I'd need to go back to that other dealer.

This has now gone on for 2.5 years now.

I shall never get another Skoda, ever.  Build quality and dealer care is atrocious.