Skip to content

rum4mo

Resident Member
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rum4mo

  1. One other possible consideration if changing that filter is, after 13 years will the push-on sealing connectors still be willing and able to seal on that new filter, I considered that possible disaster when preparing to change the filter in my wife's old 2002 Polo, and bought in a couple of repair kits from VW, so almost 10 years later that collection of bits is still "resting" in the airing cupboard, that might not be an issue for many/most people, but my wife would get a bit annoyed if I had to get her to use my car to get to work until I had sorted things out - well not quite true, it would be me that was a bit concerned about her enjoying my car! (click goes my pot count!)
  2. The way I see it, for that hole to appear/happen, something more than a joining sleeve has failed, as said already, the pipe inside these joining sleeves should have almost butted up and these sleeves are extremely strong, it is only the 2 clamps that rust through. So, again, as said earlier, it looks very much like the next section of exhaust has failed, I'm surprised that your mobile spanner swinger left your car in that state, advise your friends to avoid him and take that car to an exhaust place because that job looks like to be well out of the scope of a new joining sleeve and a tube/tub of Gungun.
  3. While I agree with the fact that it should not need replacing unless it is causing an issue with running, I managed to get that screw out on my wife's old 2002 Polo as I did plan to replace that filter and its associated pressure regulator, I cleaned out the maybe Torx recess and applied plenty proper release fluid especially into/onto the open end of that threaded hole - after a few attempts and application of more proper release fluid (and that does not mean normal WD40), I got that screw out, cleaned things up and either refitted it with plenty grease on it and over the exposed upper end, or fitted a new screw again wit plenty grease. Replacing a screw that used a captive nut, with a smaller size screw and nut is really going to make things a lot worse for the next poor sod that goes to replace that filter, if I remember correctly, both sides of that plastic clip are part of the fuel tank. I've always planned to never plant any traps for future owner/fixers. I wonder what future MOT testers would think about if you used a couple of heavy tie wraps, that could work if everything else failed.
  4. Ta, you probably meant to list that engine as 1.2TSI with an Auto gearbox.
  5. My mistake, I should have written that it was 5 X 25kg bags of salt I had carried not 5 2kg bags of salt!! (I've corrected that in my original posting)
  6. Maybe you could confirm that the dimensions of that wheel are ie, is the ET 35 or 38 it should be a 6J in width, also the VW Group part number just in case the OP can buy one cheaper locally than via mytyres as there will be a delivery cost to add into their price, worth checking what the all up price is though for getting a wheel+tyre, as said non directional. I've used mytyres a few times with no problems - if you go down the steel spare route.
  7. Yup, I think that my CTEKs end up in maintenance mode after 7 days, and so just jab the battery with charge after it has dropped back down to 12.7V back up to 13.2/13.4V - my own car frequently ends up at that stage! Costco only beat Tayna because of Costco's December battery "event" - that combined with Brexit maybe causing prices to rise along with initial supply replenishment issues when UK opens up again, and the original battery being 10 years old all combined for me to grab a new one. Edit:- on the topic "bigger isn't necessary better" hopefully most people that work on their cars realise that "bigger and cheaper" over time is not necessary better than "same size and same brand as fitted at factory" - just how good is a long warranty on a cheap battery when you are immobile many miles from a branch of that vendor, better to always put the money into the product and not the warranty.
  8. Not good, any other details in case it is engine and/or gearbox type specific? I do think about removing the gearbox mounting mounting bracket bolt that kisses or impacts the wiring cable, I should really order in a new bolt and chop it down quite a bit so that it only just appears out from its captive nut, that has been an issue with some people.
  9. Not a Fabia and not an estate, but, my wife's 2015 Polo with that feature standard and it tends to be left in place, possibly due the the lower area being filled with "essential stuff". Once I took the rigid top floor out as we were collecting a daughter and her boyfriend at the train station and gained a bit of space/height for all their many cases and bags. Weight limit, I've never ever considered this to be an issue and I've carried 5 25kg bags of salt in the boot, also a similar load of cement - having that upper floor in place does make it a lot easier to lift heavy bags out of the boot. I think if I was going to use that car to carry a high volume and weight once in a while, I would make the effort to empty out the boot including removing that top shelf. Edit:- changed 5kg to 25kg, an error on my part!!!
  10. The prices quoted by "your fav cheap place - not" ECP, for a Bosch AGM for my 2011 S4 was "only" roughly £540 - but again "only" £325ish with "never to be repeated (until next month)" discount - Costco, luckily had a December discount on their Bosch car batteries, so I got one for £153 - which was okay! That was a Bosch 019 case size S5 95Ahr 850A CCA.
  11. I agree with @FabiaGonzales, that standard battery will get a bit annoyed when it gets routinely left under charged then stuffed with charge from the 15+V that alternator will throw at it under braking and generally always during the over run. I checked the EFB in my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS the other day, it nowadays gets connected to a CTEK charger after it has been used and left connected to it in the garage, at its previous but one service, the CCA of that battery had dropped back quite a bit, but during most of that time it had not been connected to a charger/maintanence unit very often, then lock down started and I started looking after that battery due to now much lack of use of that car and at the next service the CCA had improved slightly. the other day I checked that battery 6 hours after it had been used on an 18 miles round trip, and its present CCA when tested is back up to beyond its rated CCA - which is where these batteries tend to start off at when new, so it looks like I'll not need to replace that battery for some time yet, which is a pleasant surprise. So as most people already know, if you don't look after your battery, it will not last long, I'm just lucky to be in the situation that I can look after it.
  12. You have a "load signal" and "battery voltage" low being logged, maybe check that the load wire is still 100% okay at the plug<>socket underneath the car near the engine<>gearbox joining point. Having a slightly low battery voltage will never help any gross users of 12V power like the steering pump motor. Edit:- being able to communicate with the power steering controller would be handy, maybe that will return after you sort out whatever is causing the low battery supply voltage.
  13. Probably because it is one of the available ways of displaying fuel consumption, to some people it might be useful but to most it is not, leaving the displayed consumption as average is useful.
  14. So your car came from factory with an EFB battery and the coding set for "fleece" - now that is a slightly weird one, my only worry is, when I need to replace the battery in my own car, a 2011 Audi S4, I have bought a Bosch AGM to replace a same size Varta AGM, and I don't think that VW Group include Bosch as a battery manufacturer - so there will not be a manufacturer code for that, though Bosch batteries are manufactured by Varta so leaving it alone might be the best option. So far my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS's EFB battery is still for use. Having read about many people buying one of these 12V DC DVMs that plug into the ex-ciggy lighter socket, I eventually dived in and bought one, previously I had checked using a made up plug with flying leads and a DVM, under driving demanding power and driving on the over run and braking, so I had witnessed what is normally going on. So when this plug in DVM arrived, I checked it on my S4, it had previously been connected to a CTEK charger for maybe 14 days, initially I drove up a long hill and the voltage reading just dropped down towards 12V, on the other side of the hill and so on the over run, as expected it indicated that the battery was being charged back up varying from 13.5V up to 15.0V, same on the way home, that car does not have Stop/Start but has "regenerative braking" and its original AGM battery when tested returns a very close to new CCA figure - though I know nothing about its ampere hour storage capacity. On the other hand, when I carried that check out on my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS yesterday, again it had been connected to a CTEK charger since last Friday, during the driving up the same long hill, the battery charging voltage remained over 13V and when on the over run it varied between 14V and 15V, that battery is the original EFB battery and its tested CCA is maybe only 75% of its rated CCA when new. The one issue could be that the 2011 Audi S4 has an earlier version of smart charging than the 2015 VW Polo, if that is not relevant then does this indicate that the Polo's EFB being in poorer health is needing a higher charging voltage than the older S4's AGM battery which claims to be in better health by way of its tested CCA value wrt to design rating? Edit:- my logic being that as the plan nowadays is to only use power to charge a battery if it really needs it, the Polo seems to need it right away from being started with a fully charged battery - and the S4 under the same starting conditions, was quite happy to run the battery down and only recharge when on the first over run conditions, it would have better if I had continued driving that S4 briskly until its battery voltage dropped below some previously determined level, and that even under power, the system reverted to allowing the battery to re-charge back up. Another Edit:- that Polo still auto Stops if allowed to do so, and even after a short run from cold.
  15. It is only Skoda UK, VW UK, SEAT UK and Audi UK that is handing out that "5 years replacement" requirement or advice about the cam belt on these EA211 engines, the official workshop manuals point out that it is a "belt for life" (of the belt?) and after so many years, maybe 6 or 7 years, the belt should be examined in place along its entire length annually, and replaced as soon as damage is observed. So, with that in mind, maybe revise your thinking over changing it right now, I plan to get it replaced at 7 or 8 years as that will mean only replacing it once within our ownership, I certainly do not intend on leaving it until it is showing signs of damage. That is just my thinking on this subject as my wife's car, an August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, has only run 33K miles from new, others might feel happier to replace at the 5 year point and walk away from worrying about a belt failure that would cause severe engine damage, I have been checking the inlet variable pulley every year from year 4 service, so checking the belt along its length does not take much more effort while I am servicing the car. VW Group, and maybe other brands dealership's workshops, or service point, are also a bit guilty of handing out "your belt must be replaced before an MOT because the engine is rev'd to the rev limiter a few times during the MOT, it is the law!" - I had heard that this is said, but only got it said to me once, to which I answered, "this car does not have a DERV engine" to which the answer was "sorry my mistake".
  16. As I see it, all direct injection petrol engines that do not have additional port injection, will suffer in this way, by the way, your engine only has direct injection. The worse affected direct injection petrol engines are the ones without any charged induction, and within the VW Group modern fleets that meant that the 4.2 V8 would end up losing a bit of power as its inlet side got a bit clogged up and would need a good old blasting out using crushed walnut shells, these smaller turbo charged engines, while clogging up slowly should do suffer the power drop off so quickly as they have forced or charged induction. High mileage cars, what ever point the "high" bit becomes active at, will inevitably start to suffer and need cleaned out using walnut blasting. Paying for funky "cleaning up and power releasing" via adding "good" stuff or alternative fluid while cleaning, will never get rid of what is clogging up the cylinder head inlet area.
  17. @MinionBob, now that you have mentioned 2 years, it might be that in some countries, maybe even in UK, that Skoda UK, VW UK, Audi UK and SEAT UK , back in 2018, where only giving the customer a "2 year new car warranty" + "1 year warranty on other parts". so some items would only be covered by the "2 year new car warranty", and other main assemblies covered by effectively the full 3 years.
  18. You are doing okay for someone that is using english as a 3rd language, many of us "only english" speakers have difficulty understanding each other! Anyway, if I can try to answer that question - I think that he was meaning that yes, that battery will have worked for long enough to allow Skoda not to replace it under warranty - but if you don't ask you will not find out if that is true in your country.
  19. @Micky 32, that idea that regenerative charging etc is temperature limited makes sense, though I suppose/hope that I'll need to wait until next winter to put it to the test (DVM plugged into the "ciggy lighter socket" and check what is happening on the over run). The AGM battery in my February 2011 Audi S4, which only gets used for long trips, so sleeps in the garage connected to a CTEK thing, is still giving seriously high CCA when tested but my worry is "what is its amp hour capacity" and that lead me to buy a new Bosch AGM from Costco when they were on extra discount, so £156 for a replacement, 95Ahr 850A EN CCA maybe overkill but after 10 years I thought that it would be sensible to replace it rather than need to buy at a high price whatever was being offered when maybe 600 miles from home. The new one when fully recharged tested as 975A EN CCA the one still in the car when fully recharged tested as 825A EN CCA back in October 2020, that car's stored battery data gives battery ageing from load as being 52% and battery ageing from output as being 87%.
  20. No, removing > refitting a battery does not mean that you now need to recode the battery management system.
  21. I don't think that I've had any cars with the front washers aimed so that they spray up onto the roof when not moving, certainly slightly higher than half ways seems to work for me.
  22. @Carlston The best part of the "it makes sense not to include a 14" tyre option with the 110PS model" stems from the size of the front brakes.
  23. Front seat belts, especially drivers side seem to have been a potential cause for annoyance on Fabias, Polos and Ibizas from this period of manufacture, when it started being a problem with my wife's 2002 Polo driver's one, I left it fully extended over a weekend as I thought it felt damp, that worked for while, next plan was to repeat letting it dry out and try to hoover out any fluff etc, followed by spraying it with furniture polish and rubbing it with a cloth to work it in and remove any excess that could stain clothes - it worked okay after that until we moved it on at 13 years and 135K miles, though it was never "aggressive" in operation from new anyway.
  24. It is Varta that manufacture Bosch batteries it seems. A battery is a battery is a battery, they are all just chemical factories that store and hand out current at approx 12V, the important thing is to make sure that the storage capacity in Amp Hours of the new one is same as or more than the factory fitted one, also that the CCA is also the same or more, with newer cars it also helps if the technology is the same, but this car will not be a Stop/Start so basic flooded battery is good enough.. I've never heard about this "clean" or "not so clean" current being supplied, though if I was selling Bosch batteries, I'm sure that I'd try pressing that point!
  25. Mann Frecious pollen filters will stop the smells as well as fill the space, we drove past muck spreading today - no issues! I agree that in general which brand of pollen filters makes not much difference, but Mann Frecious ones do work.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.