Everything posted by rum4mo
-
Smelly air vents
I'd think that one of the better plans is to remove the pollen filter and refit the cover, then discharge one of these "bombs" inside the car with the ventilation system set for recirc and Lo temperature with the chiller disabled - the instructions will be on the can, ECP sell a few versions quite cheaply. While you are at this task, maybe look under the water deflector - ie plastic cover in front of the windscreen to make sure that that area is clear of leaves etc. Edit:- I'd think that the plan to remove the pollen filter is to stop it stripping the spray particles out of the air, also no chiller is to stop the spray particles condensing out of the air.
-
Aircon re gassing and emptying
The way I read the Halfords/STP guff was that it was for R134a systems, but the actual wording, I seem to remember did not say that explicitly, which will be why they can legally sell it as it is not an F gas. Edit:- yes I know that R134a is not the current "in use for new cars" AC gas, I was referring to the fact that STP also sell a product for the 1234yr or whatever it is called.
-
I can not purchase Haynes Manual
Crazy way to do business, how to make someone's life harder!
-
Aircon re gassing and emptying
Yup, one of the products is suitable for use as a top up for R134a systems - the other STP EZ Chill product is suitable for use as a top up for the current AC gas.
-
New member, a Fabia 1.2 110 and some questions
Yes it is from the same family of engines, EA211 I think, so yes the belt needs to be inspected and officially only replaced when showing signs of damage, though I'm planning on getting the belt replaced on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS round about the 7 > 8 year point as we plan to keep it for 12 > 13 years, mileage at 6 years is only 34K. Hill Hold, it is only Hill Hold Lite, ie it only holds the brakes on for 3 > 5 seconds which is meant to be enough time to move your foot across on a 6MT car, so how much use it will be on a DSG I can't work out. That is something that I always need to remember when driving my wife's Polo as my S4 has proper hill hold - I'd probably say that as that Polo has a mechanical handbrake, I find myself using it to hold the car at junctions etc, the Hill Hold Lite seemed to be a good idea when she first got that car, but I keep finding myself waiting for it to start rolling before fully engaging the drive, maybe so as not to try to force the wheels to rotate against the retaining force of the brakes - doing things the old way means that you can feel the drive being taken up and so release the handbrake in time. Auto lock might not be enabled, I've forgotten if it was from new on that 2015 Polo, "tear drop wipe" - I failed to find out if that can be enabled with rain sensing wipers, it can for ordinary wipers. Edit:- just one other thing, be aware that some engines left the Skoda engine plant with incorrectly torqued (high pressure) fuel rail bolts. I'm not sure if Skoda ever bothered to come clean over what the range of engine numbers were that were passed out while that production issue was "happening" - it will not be very handy to find fuel running out of the front of the engine!
-
Aircon re gassing and emptying
Hummmm, and add to that STP EZ Chill says its from Energizer - and when you click onto their USA website, I can't find any reference to these chiller/chilling products - only batteries, which I also avoid. One honest statement is "it replaces your lost AC gas" - but with what!
-
Fuel Leak!
@Peskyparttimers, which section of the LP fuel line was that? I noticed that my wife's August 2015 VW Polo had ended up with a section of LP petrol pipe touching/rubbing on the AC pipework, that was causing the surface to get rubbed away, so I retro fitted a suitable bridging clamp to hold that pipe away from that AC pipework. VW Group were meant to have included that mode back in late 2014, but like many other things, it seemed that was just an idea, the reality was that once all units had passed through the factory, newer stock would get built to this new standard, ie "don't waste money, just run the existing stock out first even although it is a potential safety issue". Now if that is just inferior quality pipes, then that is not good, global supplying at its best maybe leading to parts being sourced from less than trustworthy "other" countries being done so that VW Group products can be supplied into these "other" countries, ie "job/work share".
-
Change in engine note when first driven forwards.
I think that this has been discussed in the past on this forum, in particular this 1.2TSI 110PS engine, and maybe also the 90PS version as well. To be honest I've forgotten the exact mechanics of it or why it behaves like this, but I'm sure it has something to do with how the excess capacity of the turbo is diverted under these initial conditions. My wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS and I've hear that but mainly only after she has reversed back up our driveway and is then driving away on a level section of road, I can't say that I remember hearing it doing that when cold while I'm driving it - though it could be I'm expecting it and accept it as being normal.
-
Advice: gearbox Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI SE (2015)
No cryptic thoughts intended, I've thought all that about the gearbox or indeed the complete clutch and gearbox setup on that 2015 Polo very soon after buying it new, ie I would not be surprised or shocked if I needed to get that area sorted out while my wife runs that car, it is just the way it is. Unfortunately some others on these forums have found issues with and even had to get the clutch replaced and/or the gearbox replaced, so this issue remains in the back of my mind as a "when" and not "if" I need to spend time and money on it. Your postings so far on this have not exactly been anything other than general statements on how you are finding that gearbox, creating a thread on any forum and thinking that anyone could give you a short quick and cheap repair to this issue is not going to happen, I was just trying to support your thoughts with mine - so were both of us being cryptic?
-
Advice: gearbox Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI SE (2015)
Not really though there are many complaints about both the 5 speed and 6 speed gearboxes on these Fabia, Polo and Ibiza (same age) in these motoring forums. I seem to remember that nasty issue that when the bearing go completely they wreck the gearbox casing so rebuilding becomes a bit trickier and so very expensive, so just hope to stay lucky.
-
Fabia 2 - 1.2 fuel filter connector clip
@logrover, very good, there is a chance that the kit I bought would not have fitted that 2002 Polo either!
-
Advice: gearbox Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI SE (2015)
Sadly, I reckon that that is a potential "feature" or "characteristic" of these horrible cheap nasty VW Group modern gearboxes, the 6 speed ones at least! I'm sure that my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS only started doing that after it had been forced back into the VW dealership for a proper/correct fix for an annoying amount of transmission shunt caused by either a faulty gearbox mounting or an unsuitable gearbox mounting, it came back out with a TDI gearbox mounting - that was a warranty repair! Probably heavy use/abuse by the workshop team forced that feature to appear on that car, or just co-incidence!
-
Gnaw marks on tubing in engine bay
I've had a look at that tube on my wife's 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, I'd think that that is a crankcase ventilation system pipe, I did not check completely, it is a hard shaped pipe, the hard part material I can not confirm is plastic or steel or aluminium, and it is sheathed in a closed foam material either to reduce noise or control temperature. There is one or two "flattened" areas on that pipe even from new. Edit:- that sort of material seems to be a favourite of field mice, ie firmish closed cell foam always black! My S4 bits at the edge of the bonnet got attacked one year in the garage, my daughter's SEAT Ibiza SC got the same material in another place attacked outside on the driveway - I bought 6 mouse traps, bait them with cheap peanut butter(which is not a good idea if you are using poisons as it counteracts them it seems!), I prepare them in late October and "maintain" them until late April. Normally I find only one family or group of field mice chose our driveway and garage to winter in - so after despatching maybe 6 in total, the traps stay empty for the rest of the "season". Nasty little bas---ds!
-
Fabia 2 - 1.2 fuel filter connector clip
VW Group do sell repair kits for these connectors, I bought one many years ago for a 2002 VW Polo fuel filter change, that just never happened, I had no proper reason to buy that repair kit, but I reasoned out that VW Group would not be selling them unless they were sometimes required. I've just had a look at the kit contents, it was for a 1.4 16V thought both cars share the same filter "type" if not necessary the same fuel regulator, and the kit contains a green plastic cage, a new O-ring and a small retainer clip - I'd think all of that fits inside that black housing. The part number for at least the BBY engined 2002 Polo was 6Q0 298 260 - if any of that is of any use to you, these parts were bought over 10 years ago.
-
Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly
Yes yes, I understood the accidental ordering of the wrong bolts, it is just that the size of the box which is labelled as a kit, looks to be big enough to fit all the parts into - but they needed to order in 4 of them for your repair - unless extra kits were being ordered in, but in which case you would not have been asked to pay for them. Also when thinking that VW Group had organised a kit of parts for this known failure, then once again why were you billed separately for 4 bolts and 4 supp. parts - which were shrouds/clips, very strange, I'm sure that now you don't bother about any of that, but I was just curious - a case of due to you including pictures to make life easier for others it has ended up with someone, ie me, asking more questions!! Sorry about that, my curiosity should force me to order in a kit and see what turns up - and report back to this thread or the other one. Edit:- I've just checked the parts cat online and yes, "repair kit" is only enough seals for one injector, so while mention of VW Group supplying a kit of parts to address this unfortunate situation, has come maybe from a couple of people that have had this failure, it seems like individual parts need to be ordered in to make up a kit of parts for carrying out this repair - I will not ask any more questions concerning your repair!
-
Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly
@PaulTheCat, good good! I can see that you understood why I posted that, ie I was not trying to say "you are wrong!" more trying to make it clear to anyone thinking about getting together a kit of bit, what all they needed to get ordered. The box in the picture that is called a kit, it seems a bit strange that it is that size when all that is in it was 2 parts for a single injector, the TPS order shows that 4 were ordered, so I reckoned 1 for each injector. Logically that is the best way to sell them as the same 1.0TSI engine also uses these seals - so it would need 3 kits if that fuel rail or injectors were ever removed. The supp parts seem to be clips for the injector and maybe only ever required if the fuel rail bolt(s) snapped and these parts were considered to now to lifed. So, did the order arrive as 4 square boxes each with a single set of parts in each one, that seems like packaging overkill - but seeing would be believing.
-
Fuel Leak!
Slightly better than getting nothing, but, the way I see it, after Skoda discovered their production line error, and corrected it, they did not suddenly increase the price of these cars, and when you take into account the potential danger of a fire when high pressure petrol is spraying out of the front of the engine while it is being driven, then reducing a repair bill is not what is required - but they got off with it, shame on them! Edit:- in the case of the issue with the inlet camshaft variable timing pulley slackening off and maybe causing engine damage, it sounds like at least in some sales areas, recalls were issued - so was that because the potential for large warranty claims was higher than just doing the right thing. In this case Skoda, and all of the the rest of VW Group, seem to be very relaxed about what sort of claims would make their way through to their "cash managers" even if some of these claims were lose of life and personal property - they spun the dice and took the risk, or many owners-drivers-passengers of 1.2TSI 16V engined VW Group car are at least.
-
Blower Fan
@Eeeekkk, I think that you are being spot on, in respect of them thinking customer says there is a problem, we have stripped it out and found the problem, parts on order by not due until the next or next day. I've never been too sure if service areas in dealerships ever understood that most people buy a car because they have a use for it, our cars are for more than allow garages to make a living - rant over! @nta16, I was not trying to snap your head off or bark or/and growl, I was just trying to put into words that the garage would be hopefully trying to minimise the customer's spend, so what was taken apart was staying apart as it did not affect the intended short term use of that car. Anyway, sorry to deviate but:- my daughter's May 2019 SEAT Leon Cupra was over due its second service, so I suggested that she got going and booked it in, she went online, started booking it into her SEAT dealership (AC) and the website offered her a special new way of doing things that they now offer, maybe Covid-19 started this off, anyway, you can click a box to say that you are willing to drop the car off at your nearest Arnold Clark garage, sounded okay to her so she did just that, they sent her a reminder late last night "your car is booked in for 07:30 tomorrow, please note that we do not open until 08:00" - she found that message a bit strange to work out, but on messaging me I suggested that maybe the service reception area opens earlier than the workshop. At this point I did not know what the arrangements were, so I asked, "is some scanky young chap going to drive your car across town to the SEATworkshop and back?" as it turned out the answer to that was "no" the car was being serviced at that either car supermarket or Nissan dealership! When asked if she wanted them to look into anything else or was it just a service " check CarPlay for functioning correctly or apply any S/W updates" their answer was, no we can't do that we are not a SEAT dealership! So what the F are these AC clowns up to yet again, taking in under warranty SEATs to a Nissan only workshop and probably can't even update the service records on the SEAT database - and of course no access to SEAT oil and pollen filters etc. I asked her why her man who is a petrolhead did not know what she was organising and suggest a better way to do it. So poor Cupra was due an inspection service and probably just got an oil vac out and refill, oh well such is life! I wonder if the inspection clock has been reset, I'll need to check it on VCDS soon. Not getting the pollen filter replaced is okay as VW Group prepaid service plans seem to only ever fit a basic pollen filter, cars with auto AC are meant to get a carbon coated pollen filter, maybe I'll hound her to buy a Mann Frecious Plus filter online somewhere.
-
Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly
Just an other comment that should be made here just in case anyone uses that TPS order form that was included in an earlier posting to this thread, the bolts being ordered are actually M8 X 32mm and so are not the correct part numbers for this repair, the bolts that hold down the fuel rail are M6 X 16mm Torx cap head 8.8 grade/strength and their part number is N10546403 - I'm only commenting on that so that someone does not end up ordering in the wrong size of bolts. There could be many reasons unknown to me why these parts were included in the TPS for what looks to be a complete listing for parts required to carry out this repair. The Supp.Parts are clips one for each injector which probably need replaced after taking things apart to replace the seals - the old ones are shown in the picture along with sets of injector seals. I think that the true cost of parts for this repair will be nearer £100 when you add in the 4-off bolts and the 4-off injector clips. Edit:- well it seems from the other thread that the parts cost was £71.81 2 years ago, so maybe closer to £80 right now.
-
Major Fuel Leak - Due to bolts shearing on the fuel injector rail assembly
Maybe the issue over replacing the rail is more done to the repair mechanic being able to assess whither of not it looked like the rail ended up getting deformed by one end of it be free to rise up under the pressure of the HP fuel supply. Erwin the official workshop manual used to quote 9NM for these M6 8.8 grade bolts, but maybe they have upped that now to 10NM.. I'm not sure if you are the 10th or 11th 1.2TSI engine owner to suffer this and logged it in this forum, there will be many unknown at least to me 1.4TSI engine owners also out there in the many Audi, SEAT Skoda and VW motoring forums that will have suffered like you, not very good at all. The last bolt can be reached I think, ie the one nearest the "free" end of the fuel rail. The "repair kits" seem to just be a set of seals and a clip for one injector, so a total of 4 are needed for these 4 cylinder engines - and quite expensive, I have yet to work out what the other part is that was listed, I'll need to dig deeper for that. My wife has an August 2015 Polo with that engine but it is obviously an earlier build than your one, actually "half" the serial number of your engine, so maybe the tooling was adequate at that time and became defective later on in the production run, I did buy 6 bolts, I used the extra 2 to see at what torque they failed and was quite happy that they seemed to be as strong in tension as the 8.8 grade spec intended, and then a poster in the Fabia thread updated it with his info about it being an assembly issue and not a bolt supply issue, so for now I'm sitting on doing anything on that car. The part that masks these bolts is mainly the inlet air air<>water heat exchanger and it looks like the water side remains sealed and there is a gasket that seals the opening in the manifold that it gets fitted into, so maybe I'll remove the heat exchanger and see if that improves access enough for me to check all the bolt torques. This continues to get hushed up, so far no mention of this in the main SEAT Ibiza motoring forum or the main VW Polo one, which is strange as all these car's 1.2TSI 16V engines were manufactured in a Skoda run factory.
-
Bolero radio no dab reception
First try to look at National DAB stations only as local DAB might be weak, well it is up my way! Next, and I'v said this before, one easy and cheap but slightly wasteful way to check if it is aerial system or radio, is to buy a cheap DAM screen mounted powered aerial, drape it over the passenger seat back, unplug the car's aerial lead and plug this one in not bothering to power it from 12V, if that improves things greatly then your problem is in the aerial system - ie not plugged in well enough originally or lead faulty or aerial amp faulty or links to the aerial faulty - does that installation use "diversity"?
-
Blower Fan
I don't think that there is any issues with the garage leaving panels and the passenger airbag disconnected, that car will have been "loaned back" to its owner as it was required back and passed back with the knowledge that there would not be a passenger in the front probably. Smell of petrol - never a good thing unless you are using it to clean up parts! Due to this investigative work on the blower, there should have been no possibility of them opening up any part of the fuel system as that is where any smell of petrol must be coming from. Try opening the bonnet to see if there is a strong or even any smell of petrol there - there should not be, every part of the fuel systems nowadays is sealed to the atmosphere including the tank venting system, any spillage left over from when the fuel rail leak was sorted out should have gone by now. As usual, there could be other reasons for that petrol smell, especially in warmer weather, like someone in that garage was working on a fuel system and so petrol vapour ended up in your car for a short time. I have said that I've been aware of petrol smells while out and about in this hotter weather - it reminded me of being on holiday abroad, but I'm sure that most of the time it has nothing to do with our own cars.
-
Blower Fan
There does seem to be an increasing incidence in the failure of what used to be assumed to be robust items that were fit to last at least 10 years, maybe it is called progress. As said already, without having actually replaced a cabin fan assembly, I'd think that it is very doable for a DIYer who has less time and associated cosmetic damage constraints than a dealership which will be working to a prepared route map and fixed labour time element, plus us DIYers don't have H&S to consider. Stiff neck muscles and extremely sore hands are part and parcel of some DIYer car activities - unfortunately.
-
Rattling noise from rear driver side
You missed out canal trouble!
-
Rattling noise from rear driver side
Sorry, I seem to have conveniently avoided reading/taking in the fact that you already knew about these threaded studs, after writing that post I went searching for a cheapish source and did not find any, though I suppose it depends on what value I put on them. I like the idea of only buying aluminium alloys ones like VW Group supply into Toureg etc as they will be kinder on the alloy wheels, but mainly it seems they are all SS and yes with fancy writing on them to help justify the price. Even VW Group type scrappies seem to be having a laugh when selling the VW Group supplied ones from broken up vehicles. I might need to check the price at my localish VW dealership and if okay order another one in and reduce its length by "an inch", one of the plastic ones would do as a second one, but I seem to remember that the price for cheap plastic "real thing" is near enough the same as the aluminium alloy "real thing". Wrong, 893012223 £3.65 bought from Audi dealership back in August 2019 - that is the standard shorter plastic hollow dowel/wheel stabiliser or as VW Group call them "tommy bar"!