Everything posted by Noms
-
BMW 520D F11 > Skoda Superb TSI - Advice needed!
The refinements in an Octavia will never be the same as a 5 series. Yes, both cars use plastics, but the Skoda uses cheaper plastic. Although saying that, a friend of mine has a G30, and the quality of materials used in that are very similar to my Octavia, so I think this is the 'way forward' for most manufacturers. Both of my cars have heated leather, and TBH, this is probably the same in both cars. The heating and cooling is equally good in both. The only thing I really notice in the Skoda is the sound insulation. The BMW was quieter on the motorway, but I'm talking about an E60. I know quality went downhill from there, so not sure how different it would be from a F10/11 or a G30. In terms of driveability, I chose the VRS, which is a lot of fun to drive (much more than the BMW, although I don't get as many looks (which is probably a good thing)).
-
Key fob closing windows.
I think it's called 'comfort windows' in the infotainment.
-
Only Driver Door Opens When Unlocked
It can be changed, but I prefer it this way; it's actually quite a decent safety feature that only the drivers door unlocks. But, as above, double press to unlock all.
-
BMW 520D F11 > Skoda Superb TSI - Advice needed!
That was the exact reason I gave up my 5series. It was the perfect car, style, comfort and power; but every year I would have to shell out a heck of a lot just to keep it going.
-
Rear windscreen wiper
As above, have you checked the settings on the info unit?
-
One touch Windows
Thanks, I've tried this, but they stop doing the 'one touch' after a while. Did you turn the ignition off in between each one?
-
Bigger brakes for 1.4 140hp
How much more HP is your car now? And how much do you plan on increasing? i would imagine standard front discs would be sufficient for your purpose. I had a 1.8 Golf that I bumped up by 50BHP and was absolutely fine on standard brakes.
-
Bigger brakes for 1.4 140hp
The brakes fitted to your car should be adequate relating to the stopping power required; why would you want to change them?
-
One touch Windows
My pre-FL VRS 230 doesn't have one -touch windows. I have to hold the switch all the way to open/close the windows fully. I'm aware that there are 2 clicks on the switch, and the second one still doesn't lower/raise the window completely, I still have to hold it. I've tried pulling the window up all the way, releasing, and then holding for one second, as stated i the manual. This gives me one touch window for a few minutes, then it reverts to normal again. Is there another way this can be reset? Thanks.
-
Locking Wheel Nut
That makes a lot of sense; thank you.
-
Locking Wheel Nut
A strange question that I can't get my head around. I'm sure the alloy wheels on my VRS must have a locking wheel nut, however, when I look at them, they all look the same (see pic). There is a wheel nut key in the boot, so where does this fit in?
-
BMW 520D F11 > Skoda Superb TSI - Advice needed!
Interesting, as I have recently also moved from a BMW 5 Series (E60) to Skoda (Octavia VRS). The car is a lot of fun to drive. Not sure it's on the same level as the BMW in terms of refinement though, but I guess that was to be expected.
-
Skoda advert.
very clever advert, thanks for sharing.
-
DSG remap?
A PedalBox definitely adds to the fun of driving... enjoy!
-
Octavia Upgrades
Benefits of using the K&N Panel Filter are here: https://www.knfilters.co.uk/air-filters
-
Octavia Upgrades
I had one of these fitted to my Mk3 Golf years ago, and it was great: https://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/air-intake-systems/cda-carbon-dynamic-airbox/4/c2
-
Octavia Upgrades
If a kit is not available, maybe just go for a K&N panel filter?
-
Phone holder between seats
As above, it fits within one cup holder. However the top of it protrudes a little. I tried to fit 2 (one in each cup holder) which won't work.
-
Phone holder between seats
Mine came with the 'phone holder' which is too small to hold any phones. So I bought a 'multimedia holder' which is much better.
-
Is there a difference between Smartlink and Smartlink+? MySkoda issues
This is such nonsense! I put my VIN into the website and it advised all the phones that would be compatible. Luckily I keep all my old iPhones, so I was able to try them all. Guess what... none of them work. Why do they come out with such bullcrap?
-
Front strut brace
That's great, thanks. I'm not on FB, so couldn't find them.Good to know that they're discreet too, thanks.
-
Front strut brace
I can't find Strut Brace UK online, do they have a webpage?
-
What diagnostic tool would you recommend
Thank you. I was unaware as I don't have Facebook.
-
What diagnostic tool would you recommend
Where is the sale event, I can't see it online..?
-
What diagnostic tool would you recommend
What's the difference between the 'pro' version and the others, is it just the number of credits it comes with? Is the hardware the same?